Ridge Runner

Lets Make A Fiberglass Hood .

Making a mold can be very expensive .First you have to have something to make the mold from .If it is a hood ,you either have to make a hood  or buy one first .Making the hood into what you want it to look like can be expensive by it's self ,Buy the hood ,then you need the scoop or what ever you are going to do to it,that needs to possibly have body work , sanded ,primed ,block sanded with fine grit paper and finally waxed .Then you need to make a top mold and then a bottom mold .A mold is usually between 4 - 6 times thicker than the hood that you will be making in the mold .The mold needs to be boxed so it will keep it's shape .Then the mold needs to be prepared ,it should be block sanded with progressive sand paper and polished so you need buffing pads ,different stages of compound ,mold wax and finally a mold release .

The time and labor alone cost a bunch ,then you have the materials .

Then to make a profit ,you need to sell enough hoods to cover the time and materials spent to make the plug /part you started with ,the mold and materials ...and the new parts take materials so it keeps stretching out for a while until it even breaks even .

There used to be a thread on here several years ago on hoods, think pak started it. I had an idea for a hood with grabber maverick nostrils either side of the center raised section on a 69/70 hood. It probably would require grafting part of the maverick hood to the mustang hood to make a hood buck. My plans for my hood is to modify a glass stock style hood with the ram air part of the shelby hood but route air from in front of the radiator to the filter area, no holes in hood except for hood pins since the latch area would be gone. Haven't yet figured the area size of the duct needed to route air up over the radiator support & radiator. Will probably use a shorter radiator and modify the support for clearance.

hey ridge, any chance you will make the Shelby de Mexico duck tails or some kind of variant where its like the Camaro or Cuda duck tails which attaches to the trunk and hugs the contours of the body etc?

im at work but i have a pic of a coupe with what Im trying to describe, ill post it later on when i get off at 5pm

There used to be a thread on here several years ago on hoods, think pak started it. I had an idea for a hood with grabber maverick nostrils either side of the center raised section on a 69/70 hood. It probably would require grafting part of the maverick hood to the mustang hood to make a hood buck. My plans for my hood is to modify a glass stock style hood with the ram air part of the shelby hood but route air from in front of the radiator to the filter area, no holes in hood except for hood pins since the latch area would be gone. Haven't yet figured the area size of the duct needed to route air up over the radiator support & radiator. Will probably use a shorter radiator and modify the support for clearance.

I think this link will take you to that thread but unfortunately all the pics are gone which makes it pretty useless.

http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/topic/45290-custom-hood/

Argh! Since the Mustang came before the crapmaro and Cuda, they resemble the Mustang, not the other way. The Mustang features were copied by the other manufacturers. Including the shaker hood scoop, deck lid spoiler and others.

I made the 64 Galaxie hood knowing i probably would not sell many of them ,but i have plans of someday building a 64 light weight .

Then i found out the same hood also fits the 63-64 Mercury Marauder .

post-42284-0-30077700-1439409887.jpgpost-42284-0-86612800-1439409965.jpg

post-42284-0-29188400-1439410029.jpg

I made the Falcon AFX hood for a drag racer in Hanford ,i was paid for this one and the the molds were mine .

post-42284-0-41075000-1439410212.jpg

post-42284-0-65506800-1439410266.jpg

post-42284-0-32724700-1439410326.jpg

The Thunder Bolt hood i made for my self .I had a 64 Fairlane and i was going to build a thunder Bolt but wound up selling it to farmersville speed and frame ,Al almost has it done complete with a side oiler 427 .I have sold a few of these at Turlock and a couple other swapmeets .

post-42284-0-73194800-1439410554.jpg

post-42284-0-46526100-1439410724.jpgpost-42284-0-53359000-1439410776.jpg.

I made the 64 Galaxie hood knowing i probably would not sell many of them ,but i have plans of someday building a 64 light weight .

Then i found out the same hood also fits the 63-64 Mercury Marauder.

If that had fit a 63 Mercury comet, I'd a bought that! Great work!

I am taking my hood this weekend and dropping ti off to be painted... Should be a few weeks then you will have one painted LMAO.

Then I gotta lower the radiator so it will close all the way haha.

So here's what I have to do before October the 8th.

Install New Headers I ordered from FRP, then rebuild exhaust to fit new headers.

Install new 4 Link and rear end that I am about to order.

Rebuild center console

Paint and install Hood

Oh and in between I just bought a new house so got all that to take care of Haha

I just recently finished these .65-66 front fenders with a mild 1 1/2 inch flair instead of the factory flair which is only 3/4 inch .i didn't want an ugly flair that is to wide .These have the mounting behind the head light buckets same as the steel fenders ,most fiberglass fenders do not have this ,and the inner mounting brace back in front of the door .I made these from a very clean set of original Ford fenders .Gives a lot better tire clearance with a more factory look .

post-42284-0-01662400-1439686678.jpg

post-42284-0-84508800-1439686742.jpg

post-42284-0-38279200-1439686772.jpg

I would like to make 67-68 and 69 fenders at least   ,Working on a set of full doors for 65-66 .These will use all the glass and internals just like a steel door . I have one mold made already .

Ridge stop making shit for the 69s please because I will continue to buy fiberglass parts if you don't and my car will be 12 shades of green b4 its over with and no amount of color flop will hide that.

Dropping hood off next weekend and guy says he will have it done by the following weekend.

In the mean time I have a 66 rear end to install along with some FRP headers and your fiberglass inner rear quarter panels

I have already done this ,they are held in place by double sided tape . Not my choice of install .They can have tabs fiberglassed to the bottoms and bolted in .On a steel hood there will probably be under bracing in the way.

hey ridge, would you be able to make shelby side scoops like the ones i have? i would love to install it using the double sided tape instead of drilling holes in my quarter panel and would be awesome to have a mesh grille in front of it. 

My 66 fiberglass doors ,I had red gel coat left over from the molds .already sold. LOL i forgot to get a pic of the inside but they have all the cut outs like the steel doors, and bracketry to mount the wind wings and door glass . everything bolts right on .They are about 1/3 the weight of a steel door .

post-42284-0-81795300-1439944327.jpg

post-42284-0-09603400-1439944406.jpg