Ridge Runner

Lets Make A Fiberglass Hood .

Have you guys priced boxes lately ? Especially big boxes ? :(   I should have some coming soon ,may have to sell a kidney !

i get 54" x 72" x 8" mattress boxes  for $8.00 . . i get 4' long x 3" high channels to put on the edges of the hoods for 49 cents each.

Hey Ridge, I finally got around to opening the panels up last night, me and my buddy cut the tape off and I told him to go ahead and open the box up I had to grab some stuff from my truck....When I returned 5 min later he said "WTF is holding this box together" I laughed at him and said GLUE... he looked at me like I was crazy till I ripped a piece off the top and showed him LMAO.... took us another 5 min to get into the box.... Panels looked great btw.

right on the radiused part where the fold down would sit appears to have some little cracks in the paint, but i am just gonna scuff them up and hit them with some KRYLON and slap them in, they are VERY Sturdy.

My buddy thought they were original ford panels and couldn't understand how they were not all crusty and flaky like originals usually are LOL..... He was amazed when I told him they were hand made just like the hood :P

Hopefully we can get his AAW wiring harness wrapped up next week and then get my hood painted, and my Fiero seat covers installed and then install my new panels.

I cant wait.....thanks for more  awesome fiberglass parts.

Soooooo Hows about you make a nice Custom 6 gauge dash panel that's ready for some instruments to go into it and don't cost an arm and a leg LOL.

OR perhaps a set of front and rear bumpers that are already chopped down to give that flush fit finish?>

yeah ,the original panels had light cracks ,they are in the mold so they transfer to the new panels like pressing a penny in clay .

it is just about impossible to find un damaged original panels or i would make a new set of molds .i used Rustolium texture paint on the smooth spot on the last set of panels i made then painted over the entire panel and they came out great .

I have been thinking about making these two pieces

_MG_4989_zpsj6kyich7.jpg

The end caps for the package tray trim for the non fold down seat for the 60-70 .The set i have is in pretty good shape ,the paint is rubbed off in places but the grain finish is very good .I would like to make a two sided press mold so they will be finished on both sides like the original .They are very delicate so it may be a bit tough to make the molds .I have had a few people looking for them and i just found this set in my parts pile .

I made the latch cover panels mold for the fold down seat ,they are really nice with just about perfect grain .I also made the hockey stick mold . This is about the only back seat trim i don't have yet . The originals are fiberglass just like the rest of the interior trim panels .

I have been thinking about the b pillars for fast backs .Those plastic ones warp and the card board ones will roll up and the material falls off .I would like to make them in fiberglass with a factory looking finish and set up for the lights .I think i could make a set out of aluminum ,texture them and then make molds from that .I think i still have an original here i could use as a pattern .

The hood arrived today! Ridge, this thing is a work of art!! I can't just help staring at it in awe.

I do have a couple of question. I noticed that part of the underside still has more of a "raw" fiberglass look. Do you typically paint that as well? Or maybe apply some sort of insulation? (I have no experience with fiberglass hoods).

Am I ok using my stock hinges, or should I use lighter springs?

The bottom will be raw fiberglass and painted ,unless you coat it with something like lizard skin .It should hold up to your original springs if the hinges are in good shape and work freely ,oil them first .I am not sure light springs will stay up when open .