Ridge Runner

Lets Make A Fiberglass Hood .

Okay here are a few close up's.... Excuse the stripes in the big plasti-dip stripe...we have don't this stripe 3 times now... 1st time it was perfect but had light spots in it where it dried to fast because we had a fan blowing on it, next 2 times it had the un even tiger stripes in it... This stuff is a PITA to make perfect... Gonna re-Do it 1 more time Monday and see if it gets any better.

even if it gets no better I'm just going to run it like it is and if anyone says anything I will just tell them its Plasti Dip and I'm just trying it out to see if I want a permanent stripe like this, so without further adue

post-13203-0-36590000-1443801789.jpg

post-13203-0-05331200-1443801802.jpg

post-13203-0-29811900-1443801815.jpg

The Red one is my Best Friend's car lol, hes getting new tires for the front this weekend, thus the removal of wheels.

We are both working out of town and renting the house and I have all my tools here so every day we get off work its go home and work on our cars !!! Just living the life guys.

Go to work, go home, Drink beer and work on cars, then go to bed and repeat again Monday - Friday :-) What more could a guy ask for during the week when he's working out of town.

Monday I will be installing a few Axle Bump Stops and we will wash both cars, then start the buffing and waxing and detailing and should have that all done by Wed Night, and then its Off for a 5-1/2 hour drive to Biloxi for Cruising the Coast HELL YEAH !!! Been preparing all year for this.

Hopefully we will see some of you guys down there, and if you happen to need a place to crash we have a house with room on the floor for some air mattresses, and parking for 6 cars if your so inclined to stay. 

Thanks for an Awesome Hood Ridge, everyone that has seen it asks how the hell you built it by hand.

Oh and for you guys with Paint match questions.... The hood was painted almost 1 year later than the rest of the car by a different painter using the same PPG House Of Color paints and its a spot on match... This is due in part to the color flop and all of the angles in our cars, just when you think it doesn't match you see that your looking at the car at a different angle or on a body line and the color is supposed to flop around.

Yeah Bobby I thought about that but it would kinda hide those big nasty looking hood runners and I want those to be seen hehe

It looks great, I would have considered going all green as to not hide the center opening, that's just me. Bitchin car though.

Think the 71-73 Mach1/Boss scoops would look great too. Hear that Ridge... LOL.

I think the 69 or the 71 -73 black out would look great  .68 Shelby type hood locks would also look great .they have a separate bracket that mounts to the front of the radiator support so you could set the pins just about where ever you wanted side to side .

The black out treatment don't look good, we tried that.

The ends of the ducts go almost to the very end of the hood and so you don't have any real good way to make it look right... Trust me there is enough going on on the hood to be blacking it out all the way LOL

Something about it getting wider at the front and the back just does not look quite right to me.

What about just painting the tops of the two long scoops kinda like Ford did with the '70 Shelby's ??   

Instead of just straight stripes like Ford did (which I did not really care for either), follow the shape of the raised area and possibly the front and / or the rear scoop areas ... experiment with the plasti-dip to see what combo looks best.

Doug

No the Plasti-Dip doesn't affect the paint underneath... Altho the paint job kinda sucks anyhow that's why I'm dipping it LOL. The stuff just peals off in one or 2 big pieces if you spray it correctly and its thick enough, the thicker the better for removal... If its thin its a HUGE pain in the ass to get off.

We did the whole thing in black all the way out to the end in the front and it looked like ASS, something about the giant black blob of Matt black just wasn't appealing.

I don't really care for painting just the tops of the long runners myself either Stangs R Me, but I do kinda like the look of the drawing Bobby did where the tops are black and run all the way back with the pin stripe in black around the edges...Hummmmm... Got me thinking now...

May be Re-Dipping it again tonight once I finish detailing it and cleaning her up.

I can tell ya its a PITA to get the taping in just the right place because there is no REALLY good defined line in the hood to follow around the runners LOL.

And the aftermarket stainless I ordered for the front of the hood don't fit worth a damn, so I put the original back on and it fit like a glove... Good job ridge with following the correct Ford design LOL.

Just wondering how wide I should make the green stripe inside the black area's ?

They have a few cool little things you can do with the dip like add gloss, or add another peral coat etc.... I was thinking about doing black with a Green Peral wprayed over some mesh shelf paper to create a Carbon fiber look

Damn Bobby your trying to make this hard on me ain't ya.

Plasti Dip is tough enough to do in one big spit and your wanting 1/4 stripes....hope u got enough 1/4" pin stripe tape to do it lol...got 2 cans of dip and omw home :-)

May have pics up tonight if all goes well