Ridge Runner

Lets Make A Fiberglass Hood .

Well Guys this little tid bit of information I am about to provide will serve as a testament to how well the hoods are made.

I would have told everyone about it before I left for CTC but I just didn't have time to type it on my phone LOL.

So anyhow let me tell you a quick story.

The night before we were going to leave I was finishing up a few odds and ends items so the Green Monster would be ready to go for 8am Thursday morning.

At Midnight Wednesday I was finished and decided I needed to go ahead and fill the car up with gas and take a little short test ride to see how everything felt.

I had just finished reinstalling the front chrome strip on the new Ridge hood and had all the gaps like I like and it was perfect, so I closed the hood hopped in and took off down the road.

I got the car up to about 20 mph and it happened.... and by It I mean the Hood flew up on me..... I almost shit myself and almost instantly hit the brakes... thank god for the big hole in the rear extractor which gave me enough space to see where I was going. 

Hopped out of the car scared as hell and mad as a hornet only to find the hood didn't want to go down all the way, so I limped it back home and spent the next 3 hours reinstalling everything. 

The damage consisted of 1 of the mounting nuts torn completely out of the brand new aprons I had installed and a few minor paint chips.... The rear of the hood has 2 small areas that hung the cowl mounting screws and it sort of flipped the edge of the fiberglass up a little and cracked the paint, but the hood remained undamaged for the most part, even after I grabbed it and pulled it down with everything I had.

I will have to say had this been some cheap junk fiberglass it would have probably snapped in half when it flew up.

I must not have secured it good enough or something as this is the 1st time this has ever happened to me but the hood survived pretty much unscathed despite ripping one of my apron nuts out of the sheet metal...

will post pics in a bit....

I am having it re-sprayed anyhow so not a big deal to have it repaired.

But once again thanks for a Great product that is tough as nails Ridge.

OOOH CRAP!  69s are the worst for hoods fling up .If it had been a steel hood it could have folded in half but that fiberglass under brace is almost 1/4 inch thick .I think it has something to do with the long latch release .I have never had one blow up because i always had hood locks but my brother did and ,i bought a 69 that had the hood blow clear off in front of my house .That is why i like hood locks ...for any Mustang .

Glad it didn't destroy something . 

Yeah, I'm ordering hood pins TODAY, just now have to decide where to put them...

I am going with a standard style pin set up but something more modern... Suggestions?

Im hoping to be able to use the pins to also set the hood height so I can remove the latch and support to help clean that area up and put a cover over the hole between the grill and the core support.

I saw a 68 Fastback with the Quick latch pins and it had no hood latch and when he shut the hood the Quick latch pins locked down automatically and the hood was set, then to open it he pushed the 2 pin buttons in and the hood released...it was NICE.

I'm finally getting the hood mounted on the car. Everything lined up really well! However, I'm not sure about using the stock hinges. When I tried to pull the hood down, it felt like I was going to break the hood. When it made a small "pop" sound, I stopped. I don't think anything was damaged, but decided to consult you guys before I proceed.

I did have the hinges powder coated. Would that make them initially stiffer? Would lubrication help? MikeStang, are you running stock hinges on your hood?

Hey rod.

My buddy had his hinges powder coated and it actually made them slicker.

None of the hood springs we tried were heavy enough to keep the hood all the way up lol.

Anyhow I ran both hood springs for a while, then decided to take one off and run just one and that seemed to be perfect to keep it up and not have 2 much tension on it

OK I just got done reading this entire thread awesome job I was wondering @Ridge Runner do you make the 69 coupe kick panels for a set of speakers like the cheap looking ones I seen in the catalogs.  Also the side convert scoops do they have the same bolt pattern as the backwards imitation scoops on the coupes?

No catalog just a mess of molds .I have the fiberglass interior for 65 -70 fast backs ,all the fiberglass for 69-70 Shelby convert and fast back .65 -66 Shelby type hood .spoilerd trunk lid and end caps for 65 -66 coupe convert and fast back .All the 67 Shelby fiber glass coupe and convert and fast back .67-68 cowl hood ,66 hood with 67 Shelby hood scoop .64 Galaxie tear drop hood .64 thunder bolt hood and trunk lid .64-65 Falcon AFX tear drop hood .67 Cougar GTE hood scoop .And a bunch of odds and ends but all Ford .