69_Mustang

What did you do to/for your Mustang today?

WTF? Sorry to hear that.

yeah, it was weird too, it was running smooth as silk at a cruise event and the next following weekend, I started her up and noticed tons of smoke at idle during warm up and wouldn't go away. I thought it was the valve seals again I opened up the valve covers and found no wear on the seals or guides. Removed all spark plugs and noticed Cylinder 4 sparked plug was wet and smelled like oil and fuel. I also noticed my pcv valve had oil coming out the hose and was puffin large smoke/vapor during idle. I Did a compression test, cylinder 4 had the lowest compression out of all cylinders.

Im pist, but cant do anything now but rebuild, so I Gotta pull the motor and break everything down and asses any damage I hope everything else is fine and can clean and just re-ring, re-hone but at this point Im frustrated cuz I can't find a local machine shop near by as almost all of them are disappearing so I may have to travel to another area like san jose, cupertino or east bay which I dont mind going that far, but most shops don't give quality work like they use to. 

any suggestions on what to check or ask when Im at the machine shop? 

Completed the install of the rear louver and spoiler. Inserting the rubber seal around the louver was a real pain. Started using silicone spray to aid inserting the rubber in the channel but it was very difficult. After thinking the silicone may swell the rubber, I cleaned it all off and used a light oil. It went better but still very difficult. It took about two hours just on the rubber seal. All else went well.
I'm very happy with the results. Now it looks like the car I remember when I was 18 and dreamed of owning.

post-45590-0-10578300-1473870217.jpeg

post-45590-0-48817500-1473870243.jpeg

Having sold my new carburetors  I had to install my 40+ year old holly 750 after my Fitech failed..

The 6 pin connector burned up and the timing control took a dump and hour from home.

Sorry to say the car has never run this good in a long time..

I really have tried to make FI work.

That is all i have to say on this subject...............  

Did you find any reason for the failure Ray. I just installed mine last week . I didnt use the timing control but it seams to run nice.

Im better now.

But getting stuck on the side of the road two times in 8 weeks can get you a little pissed.

Thankfully I have an old carb..1966 427 Chevy 750 unit to put on but I should not need to carry it with me!

50 year old carb and it runs just fine...

On that note....

How i see it is the motor is 500+hp and this takes a lot of fuel.The fuel pump runs steady and puts a large load on anything that is not up to the task .

1. The 6 pin connector on the early units is to small to handle the load..This has been changed on the later units.

2. The fuel commander in my car had the fuel filter jamed in to the bottom of the unit this would make the pump work harder

and possible cavitation... more  lack of fuel flow..and more pump running... did some miner mods yesterday to change that..

But I could be wrong on some of this but to melt wires you must have a high load from somewhere

Will I put the FI back on when I get it back in 4 to 6 weeks?.Not shore at this time..Time will tell.

Im better now.

But getting stuck on the side of the road two times in 8 weeks can get you a little pissed.

Thankfully I have an old carb..1966 427 Chevy 750 unit to put on but I should not need to carry it with me!

50 year old carb and it runs just fine...

On that note....

How i see it is the motor is 500+hp and this takes a lot of fuel.The fuel pump runs steady and puts a large load on anything that is not up to the task .

1. The 6 pin connector on the early units is to small to handle the load..This has been changed on the later units.

2. The fuel commander in my car had the fuel filter jamed in to the bottom of the unit this would make the pump work harder

and possible cavitation... more lack of fuel flow..and more pump running... did some miner mods yesterday to change that..

But I could be wrong on some of this but to melt wires you must have a high load from somewhere

Will I put the FI back on when I get it back in 4 to 6 weeks?.Not shore at this time..Time will tell.

I know FiTech were having issues with the command centre. I ended up using a in tank pump from a late model falcon running a return line. The pump only draws 8-9 amps max so no issues .

Ordered new gears today.  3.55 with True Track.  Should give me a little acceleration boost over the 2.83. Plus no more wonder wheel. Only going to have 2-3 weeks to play before I put the car away but it will be ready for next season.

1. If I use the fuel command center again there will be a relay in line.

2. How could I not like the look of shades and spoilers and the shade will keep the inside cooler. Mite move it from 120 to 110 deg.

3. Took the 750 cfm off and put on a 1050 cfm....I get bored easily.....My need a little tuning..After I fill the fuel tank.

post-44083-0-05907800-1473972290.jpg

post-44083-0-01808300-1473972649.jpg

After waiting 2 years for my shop people to cut my rear lower control arm axle mounts on the cnc plasma machine I took my files to a place nearby work and had them laser the parts. Will be at least next week before I have time to weld them up. Should look like second pic after.

post-3347-0-35742600-1473973201.jpg

post-3347-0-34488500-1473973212.jpg

You got skeelz Roger! I love the locking/alignment tabs. Just an fyi, I too made some lower arm brackets that bolt to the spring pad on the axle. My left spring pad wasn't parallel to the which caused the bracket to be at an angle other than vertical. took a bit of measuring to find out why the rear coil over angles were off.

You got skeelz Roger! I love the locking/alignment tabs. Just an fyi, I too made some lower arm brackets that bolt to the spring pad on the axle. My left spring pad wasn't parallel to the which caused the bracket to be at an angle other than vertical. took a bit of measuring to find out why the rear coil over angles were off.

Thanks Bob. I'll have to make a few measurements when I set the whole thing up to make sure its all square. Great reminder.

Not my pic

Looked at mine today and thought to myself.. what was I thinking at 16 if know I was going to keep something this long

I would have got(Keep) a better one.. There was no Im glad I keep this one..but i am happy to have it..40 years 98000 miles later