69_Mustang

What did you do to/for your Mustang today?

I went to get a ice cream from are local drive in but thy had 50+ flavors.

Afraid I would make the wrong choice but still like it..... I turned around and went home.Felling a little empty.

I do sit and think sometimes WOW I still have my high school car and the girl that road around with me..

On that note the 1050cfm that i put on makes this thing run better than it has from the day I put the 408 together.

Your grand mother could drive this thing around town with out a problem....and fast?   you bet it is.

I have run a 750-850-950-1050 and FI

Seat of the pants dyno the 950 and 1050 have run the best.

Why the 1050 runs so well down low and up top I have no idea this should be WAY to much carb. 86+94 main jets.......

It has annular boosters maybe that helps..

Its alot more fun too drive  over the 750 i just had on there...

Going to retry the 950 later in the week.

The annular  boosters do restrict the cfm rating down a bit due to there size and placement compered to down leg boosters.

Finally after years of a leaking power steering system, I replaced the power steering control valve.  What a joy it is not to see fluid drop marks on my driveway!!!  Packed the steering box with fresh grease and tightened up the steering box worm gear.  Went from about 2 inches of play to no play at all in the steering.  What a difference!

The easy part is knowing what you need for parts..

I find the hard part is pushing the submit button.(pay now)

Just love it when the parts show up!!!

Just hate it when I forgot to order something I really need not just want.. 

Pulled the oil pan off after seeing a zero presser reading on the Gage but a jumpy 60psi at 4000rpms

A toasted crank I dont need!

Pulled the oil pump apart first.. The oil presser relefe valve was stuck open.. I love it when its simple..

New pump and hope to be down the road.....Could clean the old one but for 49.00$ NO!

Surprising how little it takes to stop things from working....

Update....The patient has made it!!!With 10 more psi of oil presser.. 70PSI I think is good..

This is all to much! I need a beer....

post-44083-0-61820900-1474814627.jpg

post-44083-0-83820300-1474815002.jpg

post-44083-0-22959800-1474815475.jpg

Finally got sick enough about some valve noise to pull the valve covers.  The GT40x heads I have use pedestal style rockers, and are adjusted by adding or removing shims beneath the pedestals.  There are 2 size shims .030 inch and .060 inch.  Basically you finger tighten the allen head until there is no valve lash then adjust to 18-22lbs of torque (I used 20 lbs).  It is supposed to take between 1/4 and 1 turn to reach 20lbs.  Less or more and you need to change the shims. When they assembled the crate engine they just put the .030 shims on all the pedestals.  When I when through the whole procedure I found only 1 pedestal actually needed a shim.

On 1/2 the the valves the .030 probably didn't make a difference as the shim makes about 3/8 of a turn difference, but on at least 3 maybe 4 valves I'm pretty sure it would have been less then 1/4 turn.  Kinda of annoyed the assembly line would just throw a shim on every valve, I'm sure it made for faster assembly as they were making a lot of these motors but still.  And then the warranty people just put them back on when the short block was changed out.

Looking at some reviews of the motor this seems common though:

Armed with a fresh load of new parts, I shall begin by replacing my windshield washer pump. Then I will proceed to installing the rear seat belts and rear seats.

With any luck by the end of the evening I will be able to safely sit in a fully functional rear seat and look through a clean windshield.

Haha maybe i should at this point.  I'm building motivation to start working on the car again with cooler weather around the corner.

The car is a 1969 and is the motivation for starting this website.  So even If I don't finish the car, it still helped make this thing happen.