TX427Cobra

My Boss 302 Trans Am

I found this site 3 years ago after dragging my 1969 Stang home with a vision of building a Dan Gurney/Peter Revson replica to race in vintage racing.  Well it's finally done and I wanted to share pics and a little about the car:

-  All cast-iron Trans Am-spec 302 cid 12.5:1 racing engine

-  Bud Moore mini-plenum intake with a Holley 850

-  1970 Boss heads, Jesel valve train and titanium valves

-  Original Trans Am equal length headers and exhaust

-  Toploader trans

-  All the standard race and safety goodies

-  Period correct roll-cage

-  Body was media-blasted to bare metal and built back up

-  Stitch-welded body seams

-  Hand fabricated fender flares

-  1" section chopped from nose

-  Shelby nose drop

-  All stock chassis pieces modified per Trans Am specs

-  T-bird big brakes

-  Shelby blue livery

-  Zolatone interior and underside

-  Period correct Minilite wheels and GoodYear Blue Streak racing tires

All the sheet metal and most of the trim is original Ford.  From the shakedown run at Circuit of the Americas.

17637257698_58aa309e63_b.jpg

17935656332_c63a271394_b.jpg

16587129007_eeb28ed933_b.jpg

17775615233_fb97f100e9_b.jpg

That is sweet !

I the mid 80s i tried to buy an original

Trans Am racer .It was a 69 ,competition orange ,with a Cross Boss intake .The original Boss 302 was blown up with a piston rod through the block .It was complete but with the motor and 4 speed taken out but it was all there .It was fully caged and still had the racing tires on it .I don't remember who the driver was but the name was still on the roof . It was parked behind a barn in Exiter Calif.

and i happened to see just the front end of it one day .I stopped and asked the old guy there about it ,he didn't want to talk to me .I offered him $2500 for it and he said no .I found out a couple of years later the old man had died and the car was sold for $1500 .

Thanks for the compliments.  So far I am surprised that the exhaust system doesn't radiate more heat into the cabin, but I only have 2.5-3 hours of cockpit time. I haven't had the chance to capture much video, GoPro mounting places inside this beast are limited so I am in search of a new roll cage mount. 

One video clip here:

https://youtu.be/zem32nib7wM

I get the loudest car award.

And a few interior pics:

17935522912_a60a254f47_b.jpg

17935492122_0e39c0b305_b.jpg

17750967900_2201b96d0c_b.jpg

man thats a machine!, may I ask what type of undercoating did you use? or is this a Top secret mixture and only ment for race cars only and not ment to be shared with non-trans am owners? 

the reason I ask this was I remember meeting someone with a boss like urs, I simply asked for the color name/code to which he replied "I can't disclose that, its not ment to be shared with non-boss/race car owners." kinda felt he was being a dick, but oh well.

but i believe there is some truth to this as for the mystic cobras, their color code are only shared by ford when requested and verified that the owner has a true mystic cobra. 

I'm sure the car owner will chime in.  But that looks to be Trunk Finish.  It was popular back in the mid-late 1970's and early-mid 1980's.  Used inside the trunks by Ford and GM manufacturers.  Then occasionally somebody would use it in an engine compartment.  Has a nice clean finish.  It used to also be available with a black (dark grey) base.  I don't know about now, but it used to be water based and easy to apply with a spray gun.