Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


latoracing last won the day on May 11

latoracing had the most liked content!


About latoracing

  • Rank
    V8 Powered G-Machine
  • Birthday 10/22/1969

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
  • Interests
    Fixing rusty old Mustangs, Fishing, Welding


  • Location
  • Interests
    Working on Mustangs, Fishing
  • Occupation
    R+D Metal Fabricator

Recent Profile Visitors

1,480 profile views
  1. Haven't posted that many but they are still there.
  2. Yea!!!! Glad it's back!
  3. Yes, all new. It's just up the road a few miles, outside the city limits. Pretty close to swapping the building's square feet for house square feet. Existing house 2800 sf., 1500 sf. building. Going to build a 1500+ sf. house and a 2400 sf. metal building. (40 x 60). No subdivision, no city taxes, lots and lots of grass, much better.
  4. That doesn't look good. Quick check would be to put an export brace on it or get the rockers level then see if the top of the front frame rails are on the same plane as the rockers. The front of the car could be bent upwards. Is the firewall dented in at the top of the rear apron as well?
  5. I've been busy trying to fill in the Covid salary deficit over the past month with several extra jobs. Recently fixing some vintage FJ fenders that were quite crunchy. Lots of work, but helps pay the bills. When I'm not working, I'm working on our next large project... ... downsizing the house and upsizing the shop. No more raking leaves in the fall, YEAAAAA!!!
  6. I'm sorry for the issues that you're having to go through. I love the verse Rich sent to you, along with his generosity, that is a wonderful blessing to share.
  7. As you have discovered, the datum line on that drawing is not where you would think it should be. Having a line to measure from is helpful, but you've got to remember how these cars were built and the not so accurate tolerance they were built too, along with many years of use. I personally build with the rockers level in all directions. The frame rail tops are fairly level (I have checked this on several cars and they vary) and reference the datum line for verification. The laser level is also another great way to set this line and can be referenced with a ruler under the car, and you do not rely on a completely flat floor (none of them are lol). If you had a surface plate setup, that would be different. How much have you taken apart?
  8. Been messing with the passenger side fender the past couple of days. I took a little more time getting the surface fairly flat but still have minor issues around the welds. Getting all the shrinking out of 20ga and not cutting through the part is difficult. Maybe with a little more practice I might get the hang of this metal working stuff.
  9. Patch is all ready to tack in place. There is some tape on the back holding it up. The general fit, tack, beat, repeat until it is all fully welded. A little sanding and its ready for more beating. Sanding the inside is helpful to get a smooth finish. Between filing off the proud weld, more beating and a ton of planishing it looks presentable. Once again, I left some of the minor imperfections that will only require some putty to get ready for primer. There are a couple of places I'm going to take care of while I'm at it, then it"s on to the passenger side fender.
  10. Hopefully you'll find an appropriate sized hole in the lid of your torque box to size the hole, if not, a drill and a rotary file will get you fixed up fairly quickly.
  11. Down to the small details and little jobs. Vic brought me some aluminum perforated metal to cover his trans cooler. I was going to try some really thick stainless screen, but this stuff was too good to pass up. A little bending and some creative riveting, a couple of bolts (that I have yet to install) to hold it in place, and it's ready to ride. Starting on the front fender marker light erasing I've got to get rid of the previous attempt and do it a little neater. All chopped out and ready to wheel a new patch.
  12. It's not complete yet. I'm building the quarter extensions out of sheet metal and re-shaping everything to fit together. My car is back on the rotisserie and another convertible is going on the chassis table for a bunch of metal parts. I'll get back to mine sometime.
  13. Sorry for your loss. I hope your memories of your lost companion will be treasured for years to come. I know you will miss her.
  14. If you're trying to prove you're correct in the fact that they do not exist in a standard tire, then my example is incorrect, you win! Excuse me for not fact checking my "theoretical" idea of a size that would offer a similar tire bulge before posting. No one in their right mind would put a drag radial on a steering axle for street use, front wheel drive or not.
  15. You can get just about any color you can imagine these days. If you look at several vendors websites (Sherwin-Williams, Tiger Drylac, Cardinal, IGP) most have color samples to view. Most companies will sell "sample" size 1 to 5 pound boxes that you can take to your local powder coater, or spray yourself (if you're set up). I'm certain a local coater will have a color you might like or will be able to get. I haven't looked at Eastwood in a while, they might also have the color you're after.
  • Create New...