BuckeyeDemon

69 mach 408w build

Buckeye, I've been following this amazing build since the beginning and have learned much from you that I will be incorporating into my own build. Thanks for that!!! I was wondering what your plans were for the black out hood in regards to the paint products? I know you're either doing or have done serious research on this.

Buckeye, I was wondering what your plans were for the black out hood in regards to the paint products? I know you're either doing or have done serious research on this.

i've definately looked into it. right now i'm leaning heavily towards a single stage black urethane with flattener added (same stuff i spray all my black parts with). I'm going to do some tests soon with adding a whole lot more flattener (something 50% or more). typically most of my parts have been sprayed using 20-33% flattener. I want it dead flat.

i've looked into the base/clear (pre-flattened clear) and that just doesn't make sense to me.

I finally got to listen to the exhaust video... the sound is killer! The shop did an awesome job as with everything else on your car. I can't wait to see the video of you driving off down the road squealing the tires.

i've definately looked into it. right now i'm leaning heavily towards a single stage black urethane with flattener added (same stuff i spray all my black parts with). I'm going to do some tests soon with adding a whole lot more flattener (something 50% or more). typically most of my parts have been sprayed using 20-33% flattener. I want it dead flat.

i've looked into the base/clear (pre-flattened clear) and that just doesn't make sense to me.

I attended the Mid-American Mustang Meet in Tulsa a week or so ago and noted a car with a very nicely done hood. It was semi-gloss black. Actually it was perhaps a bit flatter than semi. What also caught my eye was that it had a slight texture to it, almost egg shell like. I'm not sure this is 100 percent correct but it was very nicely done and I would not hesitate for a minute to do mine up just like it. I waited around a bit for the owner but he never showed. Please keep me posted on what you do in this?

finally received the clock cluster back from getting vacuum metallized and painted.

Auto Instrument Specialties did the vacuum metallizing and painting. i wanted to paint myself, but they wouldn't warranty it and it would have only saved something like $30.

they did great work. they also repaired one of the side tabs. i'm not sure how they did that repair but it looks really good.

i don't like the fact they told me 10-12 weeks and it took 16 weeks (time counted from when they received the part to when they shipped the part). especially since i was calling every 2-3 weeks to check on status.

supposedly, my upholstery shipped from TMI last monday or tuesday. If anyone ever decides to order from SMS Auto Fabrics then let me know. I think i figured out a way to baby sit them.

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3154.jpg

IMG_3158.jpg

I'm getting ready for some interior material soon, but just wondering what you mean by this. Things are looking good Buckeye !

supposedly, my upholstery shipped from TMI last monday or tuesday. If anyone ever decides to order from SMS Auto Fabrics then let me know. I think i figured out a way to baby sit them.

i'm curious about this as well since i'm probably going to order my houndstooth material from SMS unless i decide to go with plain black and white houndstooth instead of the black and blue stuff, which i am considering along with going to the lighter medium blue (winter blue) instead of bright metallic blue (acapulco blue). i've been mulling over a lot of different stuff from my original plans a lot lately, mostly in the name of having a cooler (temp wise) car overall. i've even been considering white instead of black on the interior, including the black and white houndstooth but since everything in the cougar is already black ive decided to stick with it but still debating the houndstooth colors. my old 70 cougar had a factory black interior black and white houdstooth and i really liked it so that's probably what i'll go with on this one too.

I'm getting ready for some interior material soon, but just wondering what you mean by this.

SMS has horrible customer service.

there was a tear in the comfortweave material i had original purchased. TMI found the tear and said they needed another yard (they hadn't cut any of the material and the tear was in the middle of the roll).

i contacted SMS and asked for 1 yard of the same material i had ordered before to be sent to TMI and also to be contacted when the material shipped (because it took a month or too, can't remember, to get the original material). a couple of weeks pass and TMI tells me the comfortweave material was received and it was a different color. so they sent me a pic and i contacted SMS. they quickly responded witht they had sent the wrong material (it was flat versus a semi gloss). i was ok with all of this (because mistakes happen) with the exception that they didn't contact me when it was shipping.

so they were going to send another yard of the correct material. a few weeks pass and i check on status. they indicate they are out of the original lot of material i had purchased and they were going to send three yards of a new lot. what irritated me about this was several weeks passed and they failed to tell me this. in the mean time i asked TMI to go ahead and make the front seats (they said they had enough for those) because i was under the assumption the 1 yard of material would be shipping.

so again, they failed to contact me. the fortunate thing is, TMI didn't continue making the seats.

after a couple of weeks i called to check status again. they said they would give me a call back. a week passed on and no return call. i called about every 1-2 weeks for a month asking for status. each time they said they would call back. the last time i called them three times within the same day to get the status. they even promised twice that day to contact me within the day and nothing. then on the following monday i called again and the lady said she was waiting for me to make a decision on the three yards (we agreed they would be sending three yards weeks ago...). so it was as if the process of getting them to send the 3 yards was starting all over again.

so, i had them recite in detail everything they needed to do. send 3 yards of black comfortweave to TMI. they would also send an RMA for the original 3 yards and the 1 yard of wrong material. they also said it would be about a week. i asked again to be contacted when it shipped. i also asked for the persons name (first and last). finally, i asked for her to send me an email with all of the details so i could have it in writing.

i did receive an email (clearly she didn't write it all down) and it didn't have the estimated ship date that we talked about on the phone. so i responded to the email and asked for that info to be included as we had discussed.

i then get an email back on the weekend saying something to the order of, "what's this about". so i indicated the person's name and the details. they responded back the next day saying it will probably ship monday.

long story short, get SMS to put the expected ship date and any other details in writing. also get the customer service reps name. i believe there are about three people on the phone. one seems to know in general what's going on and the other two definately don't.

i don't have a problem with vendors taking 5 weeks to do something (example) if that's what they indicate. simply put, do what you say.

update.

SMS not only has horrible customer service, but their comfortweave now sucks as compared to before.

i received the upholstery friday and have to say i'm very disappointed (that's at least the way i feel now after calming down after the weekend...).

the material i had ordered a long time ago looked fantastic. i was very happy with it. but apparently when they told me the lot changed it meant a different process. i was thinking it was simply the potential for a tint change (just like if you were to get three quarts of the same paint code mixed at a paint shop and they wouldn't all be exactly the same).

SMS is using different process or they have a new supplier. it still appears to be partially woven at least but looks like it went through an oven and was partially melted together. it looks fine from a few feet away, but up close it sucks.

i was so close to havng the material i wanted in the seats...

if you ever get material from them be sure to see it in hand and don't bank on material you order being the same as a sample.

i was naive and had SMS ship the 1 yard replacement material and then the 3 yards of replacement material to TMI believing it was the same. big mistake.

here are some comparisons...

left: original

right: first batch of comfortweave from SMS (very happy with this one and the one i saw first hand).

IMG_3233.jpg

top: original

bottom: second set of material SMS sent to TMI. SMS said it was legitametily the wrong color of material.

IMG_3235.jpg

top: original

bottom: final batch of material (and the material my seats are made of)

IMG_3240.jpg

Or maybe its been painted or coated with something? I did receive a comfortweave sample from SMS a few weeks ago and it looked fine. I don't think I'll be ordering from them though.

Too bad TMI didn't bring this to your attention.

i don't think i can easily resolve the issue. if this is really what the current comfortweave material is, then i can't do anything about it.

if the material is screwed up, then i would have to restart the process all over again and probably redo the upholstery. so, i just have to let it go and try to not let it get to me.

one bad thing, is the fact that any of the two shipments of material were in the box. TMI indicated they hadn't cut the material and SMS wasn't going to charge to replace the material if it wasn't cut (TMI was supposed to send it all back to SMS). This was a big argument previously on the phone. so if they try to hit me up for charges, it will unfortunately get ugly. too bad, because if they would have delivered good material in the first place i wouldn't be in that position.

i'm unfortunately not aware of any other suppliers.

updated the fuel system.

i have noticed the fuel pressure would drop as the engine would heat up. it would be on the higher end at 8psi at start and would drop continually. the other day it finally had an issue starting and the fuel pressure was bouncing around 0-2psi. coolant temp was around 200. i've also noticed on several occassions the fuel in the bowls would disappear after turning the car off when it was hot (i have see thru sites).

so i decided to run a return line which i had been hoping to avoid. appearance and where to hide the regulator always had me scratching my head.

i made a bracket that held the bypass regulator behind the carb to what are probably holes for something like a throttle bracket. the bypass regulator has a vacuum option that drops pressure when vacuum is present. i then ran 1/2" line from the bypass regulator to the fuel tank. i routed the lines from the torque box back to the fuel pump in the same path as the feed line on the drivers side.

so far so good. pressure when the vacuum is removed is steady at 7 psi. with vacuum it's 3 psi. the fuel line to the carb was cool and the fuel didn't disappear from the float bowls. I'll keep my eye on that to see if it's consistent.

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3224.jpg

IMG_3226.jpg

IMG_3229.jpg

IMG_3241.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg