BuckeyeDemon

69 mach 408w build

i've had some positive communication with the exhaust shop. i'm starting to believe it may turn out like i was hoping. i think it's going to be early next week when it's finished.

3" through the valance just might happen.

time will tell if it really all pans out...

That looks downright spiffy, Buckeye.

Did you mention previously what type of mufflers you're running? If so, I'm sorry that I missed it.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your build progress. It's inspirational, very helpful and downright fascinating. I'm already applying what I learned from you on my '70 Mach 1 build. And I know I will continue to do so.

Video and pics for the exhaust.

Southside Services located in Bethel Ohio did the work. They did a fantastic job.

Southside Services

I went into the shop with over a page and a half of requirements/notes and they did everything i asked for.

It's 304 stainless and he welded it using a tig. In most cases the fit was so good he was able to just melt the materials together. It puts the welds on the FPA headers to shame.

I would like to go in with gray scotch brite pads and scuff all the pipe to blend the joints and make the tubing consistent (except the tips). The shop really wants me to polish it though.

The tips were handmade. He used this thickest piece of 304 he could get and put a slash cut on them.

I also had him weld in two O2 bungs up at the headers.

He also did a great job on the mounts. I didn't want the hanger to show on the bottom in the rear. I also had him make his own brackets that mount to the original studs at the seat area.

Video link:

My friends camera:

Exhaust Video 2

IMG_3012.jpg

IMG_3013.jpg

IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

this is the tight spot. he ovalized the tube through this section slightly

IMG_3023.jpg

IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

IMG_3033.jpg

IMG_3034.jpg

IMG_3026.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg

IMG_3048.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

Edited by BuckeyeDemon

I drool every time I look at your pictures. One of these days I'll have to get my car looking half as good.

Edit:

Just watched the video and that is a loud exhaust

Edited by TexasEd

I'm thinking Buckeye's Mach 1 should be held up as the Rosetta Stone for the term "Restomod".

At first glance, Buckeye's car looks factory original. But closer inspection would reveal it looks better than factory original. And, of course, the drive train is better than factory original.

It looks like a '69 Mach 1 should look. But it has been built will excrutiating detail and it performs better. I think that's what restomod should be all about.

thanks for the comments. i don't think i can live up to some of those responses though...

the exhaust is coming out along with the rear end. i'm going to have to clearance the mufflers. When unloading the rear end, the driveshaft drops and gets way to close to the mufflers. i'll also use that time to clean up the pipes and any scratches.

i've been planning on pulling the rear end for awhile. the leaf spring perches have me concerned after seeing some of the carnage on other peoples cars. so those will get reinforced and then a lot of the hardware will be removed from the housing so it can get scuffed and repainted.

thanks again for the support.

boxed in the leaf spring perches. i had some scrap 3/16" thick box tube that i cut up and welded in. i was originally only going to do the back side, but decided to do both sides.

hopefully that's enough to not cause any issues.

IMG_3075.jpg

IMG_3077.jpg

IMG_3076.jpg

the rearend is repainted and reinstalled.

i sectioned the mufflers in the corners and had them tig welded. i ground the welds on the side polished.

the rest of the pipe was sanded starting with 80 grit to remove all the tooling scratches and nicks. i finished with 360 and then hit the exhaust with the buffer.

still have one tail pipe to do.

IMG_3093.jpg

IMG_3104.jpg

IMG_3107.jpg

IMG_3100.jpg

IMG_3106.jpg

IMG_3098.jpg

IMG_3097.jpg

IMG_3094.jpg

Edited by BuckeyeDemon