BuckeyeDemon

69 mach 408w build

Buckeye, you're a born engineer. Very nice test with a very nice video.

And your Mach 1 sure sounds nice and snotty! I like how you checked the interior, abeit without the window glass. I think it's a good thing that things still get pretty quiet inside. Cars that are loud inside are cool for about four minutes. Then it just gets exhausting.

Please keep the updates coming. I for one am very interested in any and all progress on your project.

not sure what to post on the sanding/buffing process. 2000 grit will quickly take out the rough orange peel.

i use a variable speed rotary and also a small 3". The small one is really nice for small areas. i have a combination of wool pads for each where i rough it in with compound. i have various foam pads (some waffle) for polishing.

in particular i've been using 3M Perfect It Rubbing Compound (06085), Machine Polish (06064)and Ultrafine Machine Polish (06068).

DCU2021 after curing for several months buffs like concrete.

I have been a 3M man for years, but I find the Machine Polish is complete junk now compared to Wolfgang/Mezerna or Meguirs MP205. If you use the 3m Compound and step directly down to swirl the dropoff is to much. If the haze shows back up try the MP205 or Wolfgang Swirl remover. Cars looking great though.

What type of insulation is that on either side of the rear seat? It does not appear to be Dynamat.

i applied three coats of Spectrum to the inner side of the outer quarter.

i put dynamat extreme (thin butyl backed damper) on the opening of that quarter area as shown below. it's really not doing anything at that location as a mass damper since there really is no metal there. i'm instead using it to replace the factory plastic as a watershield. i topped it with some adhesive and insulation i picked up from NPD. The kit i purchased for the floors didn't cover the inner quarter area so i picked up a 4X6 sheet of insulation from NPD for about $40 to use for those extra spots.

IMG_4352.jpg

i applied three coats of Spectrum to the inner side of the outer quarter.

i put dynamat extreme (thin butyl backed damper) on the opening of that quarter area as shown below. it's really not doing anything at that location as a mass damper since there really is no metal there. i'm instead using it to replace the factory plastic as a watershield. i topped it with some adhesive and insulation i picked up from NPD. The kit i purchased for the floors didn't cover the inner quarter area so i picked up a 4X6 sheet of insulation from NPD for about $40 to use for those extra spots.

Excellent. Once again, I hope to emulate your solution here. Thanks.

BuckeyeDemon, I do have a question for you (and anyone else who had this problem).

You had mentioned that your car has a slight lean. Mine does also. About an inch or so to the passenger's side. At first, I thought it was sagging leaf springs. I recently put it up on jackstands and noticed that the same jackstand located at the same point on the frame rail didn't fit. I needed a little more height (or to push it back towards the rear of the car) on the passenger's side.

My question is did you ever correct that on your car? If so, what did you do?

I am hoping to take mine to a body shop in the next couple of months to have them verify straightness and correct it as needed. (Also, to install subframe connectors and finish some "work" that another shop had started.)

Chuck

You had mentioned that your car has a slight lean. Mine does also. About an inch or so to the passenger's side. At first, I thought it was sagging leaf springs. I recently put it up on jackstands and noticed that the same jackstand located at the same point on the frame rail didn't fit. I needed a little more height (or to push it back towards the rear of the car) on the passenger's side.

My question is did you ever correct that on your car? If so, what did you do?

i haven't made any adjustments. i just went out and measured and both sides measure 27.25+ (+/- 1/16") in the rear from the floor to the bottom edge of the wheel lip. so for whatever reason it's happy now. i don't know if it's just springs settling, adding more weight to the car with installation of more components, or what.

Edited by BuckeyeDemon

the hood and fenders are back on. the shaker still fits really well. i had a little concern since during the shaker build/mock up, the engine didn't have things like head gaskets, intake gaskets, carb gaskets, etc. so i always had a little reservation that it would stack up a little.

IMG_5520.jpg

IMG_5523.jpg

IMG_4387.jpg

IMG_4388.jpg

IMG_4384.jpg

IMG_4389.jpg

The shaker looks perfect. I have a candy red 69 Mach also. Mine is an s-code that will eventually be restored when I get done working overseas. This will be my first build and having read through this thread, I'm certainly excited to get mine going and inspired to take on some things that I didn't think I could. If nothing else I've realized to be patient, think things through, and to do things right or not at all. Very impressed with what you've done.

Met BuckeyeDemon at the local Mustang show last weekend!

hey joe. it was probably the nicest day i can remember at that particular show. wish i could have been there with a car like you. it was nice to meet you in person. confirms there are normal people out there.

i had some leftover paint from doing the hood, so i just shot some on a piece of aluminum i had laying around.

i thought i would do a list test on it by hitting it with some wax. the big concern about flat black is getting wax on it and having problems getting it out. given i would like to at least put some wax on the red, i have a concern about what would happen if i bumped into the black

so i did a little test.

i masked a corner of it and applied Mothers carnuba wax.

before wax application

IMG_4457.jpg

wax used

IMG_4458.jpg

i rubbed it aggressively and applied it in excess

IMG_4460.jpg

i let the wax dry up (about an hour) before wiping it off. this picture is after two days.

IMG_4467.jpg

so far all i've noticed is that it darkened up the black.

i can't speak for its long term effects or other waxes.

I remember reading in an article about an interview with one of the major paint manufactures (can't remember which one) that said the thing about the flat paints is that the more you buff it the more glossy it gets. I tested it on a primed part of my back left quarter panel and sure enough it buffed right up to a nice gloss. He did say that the spray on wax is an excellent way to protect it.