J's69Mach1

what brand shocks are u guys using?

I hate to go against the grain but I've used KYB's only once on a 4WD Ford Ranger long bed pick up.  They were the white high pressure KYB shocks.  The rest of the suspension was stock.  It rode far too rough with the KYB's.  Never again.  Every crack in the rode was transmitted into the cab.  I've also heard and seen one case where shock mounts broke because they are so stiff.  I purchased the Gabriel Adjustable E shocks on my Mach 1 so long ago they are no longer made.  I don't know what low or mid range shocks are good for these Mustangs today.

i had the koni classics all around for a year (sold to a member on here...), then tried the calvert adjustables in the back (for about a week, then switched to Varishock quicksets on all four corners (on the car for about a year now). It's a nice option if you need to change profiles easily.

KYB's but thinking of going koni this year. I was sent a can of husqvarna orange paint for my tractor....seems that it may be the same orange or pretty close to the same orange that came on the original shocks. Can anyone confirm? Then NPD sells original Koni decals if you really want to go crazy!

Maier Racing Bilstein's in the front and Viking double adjustables in the rear. I don't have any other Mustangs to give me perspective but the combo seems to work quite well.

I have a used set of KYB Gasadjust fronts, Koni orange front adjustable in box with very low use, and used Rancho rear adjustables also with low use if anyone is interested. Just PM me.

I have KYB gasadjust, and I am very happy with the ride.  It feels noticeably stiffer, and very stable - to me it feels like just the right balance for this car.  I put some higher-end monroes on the front end of our 71, and I didn't care at all for those. Given the chance, I would do KYB again.  The cost is reasonable, and well worth the difference in price over the mass-market crap.

I've had 4 types on my car over the years and my car is just a cruiser:

Stock: prior to any suspension upgrades, was ok

KYB Gas-A-Just: Put this on with all new steering and suspension. Handled well but was rough on bumps

GR2: Too soft, felt stockish and bouncy

Bilstein: Added with front coilovers and also on the rear. A perfect ride. I couldn't be happier. Soft when it needs to absorb bumps and firm in the turns.

My shock experience is about the same as the rest of you guys.  Stock/low end shocks are to mushy.  The KYB's are much better for handleing/performance but I wouldn't recommend for anything else.  I thought Bilstein did not make a shock for the stock 69 Mustang ?  rangerdoc what ' series ' or part number did you select ?  Front and Rear ?  Brian

My shock experience is about the same as the rest of you guys.  Stock/low end shocks are to mushy.  The KYB's are much better for handleing/performance but I wouldn't recommend for anything else.  I thought Bilstein did not make a shock for the stock 69 Mustang ?  rangerdoc what ' series ' or part number did you select ?  Front and Rear ?  Brian

They are specifically tuned to the coilover system by Shaun and his guys at StreetorTrack for the application you want (race, sport or street). I chose street.

http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-or-Track-Front-Coilover-System-pr-24491.html

You can also choose the application for the rear.

http://www.streetortrack.com/Shock-Absorbers-c-466.html

OK Great.  The ' by year ' works for me.  Stock suspensions on the 65 GT and the same for the 69 so it looks like ' STREET ' for $342.  I think the KYB's were around $230.  What I do like about the KYB's is the flatness of ride under sharp acceleration and moderate cornering.   Brian

i bought a set of Koni Strt for the back of the car first. very happy with them compared to the monre blue shocks. I just ordered the set for the front. Not sure how they compare to Koni reds but for $200 for 4, its a good middle range investment.

i bought a set of Koni Strt for the back of the car first. very happy with them compared to the monre blue shocks. I just ordered the set for the front. Not sure how they compare to Koni reds but for $200 for 4, its a good middle range investment.

So just this week I was investigating the "rattly front end" on our 71 and found out that the "higher end monroe" shocks I mention above were completely "blown out" after only 2 years and probably less than 5K miles.  they had evidence of major leakage on both and one side lacked any resistance at all.  Man - the commercial stuff is truly useless, and shockingly badly made.  It's another set of KYB gas-adjusts for that car.

I have the grab-a-track  - pretty firm. I dont have anything to compare them to as i put them on right when i got the car. 

the new bushings dried up within 1 year of just sitting!

sounds like KYB is the way to go?  I do want to lower it but i hear its not recommended