Ridge Runner

Lets Make A Fiberglass Hood .

So how many hoods have you made so far now?

Only six so far .Boxes will be here tomorrow ,just got a call from the trucking company .

You may be seeing them from a couple of dealers soon though .They will still be the same price through me though .

Well, i got to use one of my new boxes today .When i tried to fold the card board ...it friggen broke like dry wall . Waited all that time for it to get here and it is useless .It is so brittle i think you could push out a chunk with your finger . Must be some kind of Tiwan crap ,or made in China . Some days you just can't win ! I guess i will have to learn how to make my own cardboard . I can tell you this ...i will never use that box company again !

Ridge Runner, have you thought of a Patent or something to protect yourself.  These hood seem to be popular.  I'd be concerned one may eventually get copied.  Then all your hard work will be lost.

It might be worth some thought to address the water issue that rodbrady mentioned.  My 1972 Dodge Challenger RT hood had open vents but there was a diverter type piece that bolted on the inside which appeared to be there to redirect water. 

+1 on Mike's question

Also, somewhat related, when attaching my hood scoop, should i use any kind of gasket or sealer between the scoop and the hood?

No gasket ,the scoop  just bolts directly to the hood . 

The original screens were just bonded to the scoop openings from the back side ,i was thinking windshield glue ,like the front window would use .A small bead and press the screens into the glue and let it dry .Most auto paint suppliers have small epoxy syringe with a two part epoxy that should work as well .

Ridge Runner, have you thought of a Patent or something to protect yourself.  These hood seem to be popular.  I'd be concerned one may eventually get copied.  Then all your hard work will be lost.

It might be worth some thought to address the water issue that rodbrady mentioned.  My 1972 Dodge Challenger RT hood had open vents but there was a diverter type piece that bolted on the inside which appeared to be there to redirect water

The Shelbys just had the screens on the openings .

I don't think you could do any thing to keep it from getting copied ,it is actually a copy its self with minor differences .It will be copied ,I will just keep making mine with the best materials, and heavy duty .

The center Ram air scoop does have a drain hole that should be drilled just behind the scoop in the ram air chamber ,if you look at the bottom of the scoop where it is bonded to the ram air chamber you will see a dimple .DONT DRILL THAT DIMPLE, the new one should be drilled  Farther back towards the air cleaner opening so it will be behind the top scoop and allow the ram air chamber to not hold water . I moved the top back farther than the Shelby hood so the hole needs to be drilled farther back Should be about 5/8 inch back from the dimple .

Damn Man if it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all.

So if I order the screens that cover the massive holes in my hood how do I go about attaching said screens?

Epoxy?

Yep ! It has been one pain in the butt after another ,the hood was the easy part .It is everything after that has been a big pain .

Yep ! It has been one pain in the butt after another ,the hood was the easy part .It is everything after that has been a big pain .

Yeah, I'm a mechanical engineer and there is truth to the expression, the devil is in the details.  My clients always see the overall picture and I am faced with getting the details to work with the overall picture.  It's challenging but rewarding in the end.

Seems I gotta remove my lower radiator brackets completley in order for the center intake duct to clear my radiator filler neck with the cap on LOL.

Just gonna pop brackets out and install some rubber on the bottom of the radiator and sit it down on the strut rod support braces and screw it to the rad housing area.

The Radiator is an Aluminum aftermarket Job which is a bit taller than the stock unit but cools very well, its just too damn tall LOL

Not sure how much taller since I don't have the old radiator to compare, but I can tell you that my filler neck sits a good 1.5 to 2" above the radiator support, plus the Radiator tanks are squared off so the top tank doesn't follow the contour of the upper radiator support.

Its a Champion radiator btw

its an inexpensive unit that has worked perfectly and kept my 408 running nice and cool

If i see something that i think others would like i may make it . The molds cost so much to make it has to be something  that would be worth the cost and effort .

I have a teardrop hood for a 64 Galaxie light weight that i have only sold two of so far

i have the thunderbolt teardrop hood and trunk lid that i have only sold 4 of each ,i was going to do the fenders but i am glad i didn't

I have a 64-65 Falcon AFX teardrop hood that i have only sold 2 of

I had a 65 Bronco cowl hood mold that i finaly cut up because i only sold 1 and it was taking up to much space .

and a few more molds that have only made one piece .

Have you thought of a web site to market your hoods?  It might take help get the word out.  If I wasn't a member here I would have never known you're making these parts.  I think if you can build a lower cost decent quality complete shaker assembly, that might be popular.  People seem to really want shaker hoods but most of us cannot afford one.  Even better, if it actually would fit a decent size air filter instead of that small 13" element.  Another thought would be a short cowl hood that still incorporates the nice lines of the 69 and 70 hood.  Most people need an extra inch or two of hood clearance on these cars.  The current cowl hoods look like a GM hood was fitted to a Mustang and just seem out of place. 

Quality, well done websites can run into some money. But there are plenty of crappy ones out there, but I won't stay on a crappy one very long. At the minimum I would have an eBay store, and list them in the parts for sale sections here and other Mustang sites, so they come up during Google searches. Also start hood threads on other sites like you did here to generate interest.

You have over the top fab skills and definitely make a quality part at a very reasonable price. I believe once the word got out you'd be pretty busy.

I think an Ebay store is a good idea.  I buy stuff on Ebay.  When I can from Ebay stores as opposed to private listings.

Now a proper looking cowl hood would be nice.  More hood clearance and some ventilation that might help let out the hot underhood hot air.

im with the others, i had no clue until you just mentioned how many hoods you have. one thing to consider as well as doing small batch group orders for a particular hood. There are a few companies that make bullet moulds and seems to work well for them. They advertise on a few big sites, see what people want, get some money in advance, and make some hoods!