stangme428

69 coupe build

Nice progress dude. Ive been thinking of getting those scat seats for a while. How do they recline? Is it a handle like on most new cars or is it a knob that you have to spin in order for it to slowly recline?

Nice progress dude. Ive been thinking of getting those scat seats for a while. How do they recline? Is it a handle like on most new cars or is it a knob that you have to spin in order for it to slowly recline?

the scat seats use a handle to recline no knob... i have purchase two sets, these for the 69 and another set for a 90 mustang and both came with cracked plastic that covers the reclining mechanism. its just a very thin piece of plastic that gets broken in shipping... i plan on gluing it from the back and then painting it back black. no big deal ....

hope to finish up mounting the seats by this weekend 3/11/2012 .. hopefully the height of the seat will be ok, and the steering wheel wont be too much of a pain getting in and out of the car... no tilt..

jayru - seems the return line is fully functional ... i guess it bleeds off the excess pressure/fuel back to the tank. so far the fittings have been easy to assemble as long as you have the stainless cut flush and even.. otherwise its a pain... but very doable.. once we get everything in, mounted we will tighten and test for leaks...

Interesting, so is the return line just blocked off while you use the carb?

I've got to make up a bunch of hoses for the Z and have been panicking about doing it as I've read it can be a bitch to assemble the AN hoses (If it's not done right it leaks/brakes, etc)!

Watched a youtube video on it and they file the inner hose so the lining doesn't frey from the inside out. Had never seen that before. Did your kit recommend doing that?

It's looking good man!

some progress this weekend -- day jobs are keeping us away from working on the 69 -- so we finally had some time:

• mounted the Fuel Pressure Regulator - found grommets to install where lines feed into engine compartment, finalized fuel line routing
  • removed Demon fuel log from carb and installed new AN fittings to route to Fuel Pressure regulator
  • installed water temp sensor - the little things add up, need to figure out if im going to run a electronic or mechanical oil pressure gauge.. probably the latter... recommended by dyno engineer..----update --- decided to order a mechanical 4321 oil pressure gauge with -4an stainless braid hose kit and a electric 4356 oil temperature gauge-- maybe i will mount them in the Shelby console gauge pod..
  • routed AAW wires to the back of the car - calling AAW this week to inquire about a fuel pump feed wire, thought it came with the kit, maybe not.. more pics and notes for the write up... remember to run wires behind the window regulator towards the outside of the car, same as original and install wire loom to protect it! --- update --- decided to order a Ron Francis fuel pump relay kit with inertia switch --
  • installed the passenger and driver side hooker ceramic coated headers about 4 times each... man we spent all day on Sunday installing headers, finally modified the ron morris adjustable motor mount and still needed a little more room on the drivers side... more to come on this one...
  • test fitted a mount from CVF racing from the passenger side head to the alternator, looks like it will work, but needs some nice stainless bolts to match the others...

Edited by stangme428

headers are fun! Hooker 6913-1HKR

ok-- so after jacking the car up as high as we could... removing the bolts on the motor mounts, and jacking the motor up even higher, unbolting the PS slave cylinder, swearing way too much, scratching head and various other body parts... the passenger side header.. piece of cake! it only touched at the drag link mount... the driver side.. wow.. we modified the ron morris motor mount (ouch at 225 a set) slid the motor every way but down (cause we cant).. had the driver side installed at one point but had no clearance on the driver side motor mount... after thinking about it and staring at pics.. i think somehow we moved the motor forward, if i remember the trans mount allowed 1" fore / aft of movement... anyway.. we left it and will revisit it next weekend time permitting...

Edited by stangme428

Sorry to hear about the header troubles! Were they supposed to be made for your application?

67-70 351 2v---- besides having custom headers made, this was all that was available.:sweatdrop: if i recall this is what others have used also..:smile:

wow --- long night... we (:shuriken:Andy, :shuriken:Ryan, :alien:Wayne) spent many hours and many many hammer and remove sessions... hammer and remove.. hammer and remove... using the first set of 6913 headers i purchased as the mock up headers to know exactly where to modify the ceramic coated 6913 headers....

well... its a NO GO .. negatory' Ghost Rider ..... :taz: the hooker 6913- headers DO NOT fit :thumbdown: with my combination of AFD 2v heads, ron morris adjustable motor mounts, stock cross member, Canton 620S oil pan, viper t56 with ron morris trans cross member (modern driveline)....

the reason .... an educated guess is... the heads push the headers so far out that the 351C 2V headers are not close enough to stock position to fit. would love some input from stock 351C 2v guys to see if they have used these headers .. we looked at moving the entire motor/trans package, fore/aft, up/down, cut trans tunnel etc... we found no combination that would work... its a width problem near the frame...

what hits -- the steering box big time on multiple tubes.. the motor has to be so far in the air and so far over towards the passenger side to clear the driver side header that its not possible to mount the passenger side header ..... The Viper T56 no problem..QuickTime bell housing... no problem... you have to jack the motor up to clear one tab on the T56 on the driver side... it can probably be cut off if your going hydraulic like we are...

we will be replacing the stock steering box and power steering in the next few months with a TCP rack, not sure on PS just yet... more research to be done on the TCP rack placement in relation to the oil pan, and the position of the steering shaft etc..:punk:

What about switching to some Sanderson mid-lengths? I know they make them for Cleveland. It may ease your install considerably, and not be much of a power loss.

interesting..... the sanderson headers are for 4bbl and i would need the 2bbl adapters... hmm... i had seen these mentioned in other posts, ill check them out...

may be a good thing! we shall see.!:thumbup1:

If you couldn't git er done with 2 ninja's and an alien I think you're screwed.

exactly!!:crying:

sanderson headers look promising... but i think ill pick them up from a vendor that has them in stock instead of ordering from them directly.. sounds like they have had some customer support issues in the past... :sweatdrop:

ok ... not much to report this past week on the 69 coupe build ... work schedules etc etc.

looks like its time to order parts this week.... sanderson headers, street or track coil over, forged spindles, decide on some front brakes 14" or 13", cobra rear brakes (big bearing rear end) and a TCP manual rack....

time for a third job... lol:lol:

some local south ga, new Boss 302's to drool over....

ok -- the month of May is going to be a slow month for progress on the 69 coupe build... with vacations, graduations, and training .. something going on every week / weekend it seems....

• TCP rack and pinion ordered from Mustang Depot - 2 week back order
  • vintage venom quote received on the F14 vintage monobloc setup
  • vintage venom rear brake setup - need to verify rear bearing size, should be small but for some reason i think its big bearing size.. last checked when i ordered my 31 spline axles from moser engineering in 99'...lol
  • street or track coil over kit --- order in a month or so .. gotta save up some $$$ or find that money tree.... great kit!!
  • we figured out a different mounting location for the fuel pump and filter out of the area of where the fays2 setup mounts
  • hagerty insurance - received quote from hagerty - need to complete the online app and purchase..
  • stop spending 69 coupe build funds on guitar / tube amp parts....

somehow i think this turned into a done and to do list... anyway.. lots of awesome builds on the site for inspiration... !!! keep up the hard work!!

Any issues with the TCP rack and your headers? Thought I read somewhere the R&P's only worked with Tri-Y headers or stock manifolds because of the steering joint angles and whatnot.

ill know once we receive it and get it installed... i held off on the sanderson header order, if the hookers work with the r&p great, if not we will make a different move....

Just saw this. My new ceramic Hookers were a lousy fit on my lowered 70 351c 4V w/AOD. They required clearancing almost everywhere but especially the idler and the pitman arm. I did a lot of reading and ordered the Sanderson shorties 2 weeks ago. Supposed to be at my door on Weds. Hopefully no issues.

Just saw this. My new ceramic Hookers were a lousy fit on my lowered 70 351c 4V w/AOD. They required clearancing almost everywhere but especially the idler and the pitman arm. I did a lot of reading and ordered the Sanderson shorties 2 weeks ago. Supposed to be at my door on Weds. Hopefully no issues.

Cool-- let us know how it goes. Looks like I'll know more in three weeks when parts arrive...