Vicfreg

Carpet Install

Looking ahead to next month or so, where I will need to install my carpet.  So, requesting suggestions/lessons learned/advice on 3 items:

1.  Door panels

My car did not come from the factory with deluxe door panels. So, there are no holes drilled in the lower part of the door to attach the carpeted area of the door panel to.  Looking for a template, pictures, type of fasteners, etc so I can drill some holes and use the proper hardware to attach the panels to the doors.

2.  Carpet

I have not purchased my carpet yet.  I have been told Rock Auto has the best product for the price. Looking for some recommendations there for where to get the carpet from, and which type of carpet backing to use.  I am not that concerned about a Concours look, much more concerned with the fit, especially for my Convertible.  I will be using Dynamat under the carpet.  

Any lessons learned with trimming the carpet, installing the carpet, molding/steaming the carpet, would be appreciated.  Also techniques for installing the sill plates and kick panels.

Thanks!!! 

Vic

When drilling through the carpet ,place the drill in reverse until it goes through the carpet and door panel ,this will keep the bit from winding up the carpet strands,1/8 bit is good for #8 screws ,or you can burn the screws through the panel ,also in reverse first 

Many people suggest using soldering irons.

This is NPDs kit. The screws with the cone shaped washers are for the bottom of the door panel where the carpet is. I'm not sure what the pop rivets are for- someone here will know.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/mounting-kit-door-panel/104260?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Ddoor%2Bpanel%2Bfasteners%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1969&year=1969

ACC Auto Custom Carpet gets the highest marks, mass backed. The Essex cut pile is thick, dense and plush and the top of their line. When last I checked it was 46% cheaper at Rock Auto.

2 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

This is NPDs kit. The screws with the cone shaped washers are for the bottom of the door panel where the carpet is. I'm not sure what the pop rivets are for- someone here will know.

As far as I remember, the rivets are to attach the pull cups.

11 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

1.  Door panels

My car did not come from the factory with deluxe door panels. So, there are no holes drilled in the lower part of the door to attach the carpeted area of the door panel to.  Looking for a template, pictures, type of fasteners, etc so I can drill some holes and use the proper hardware to attach the panels to the doors.

I do not think there is a template for the screws on the bottom of the door panels, because the old panels I have on my cars do not have the holes at same exact locations. The screws are about 1" inches from the bottom (and front and aft edges). Seems like they installed the panel, and drilled/screwed the panel and door at the same time.

I purchased the ACC mass backed carpet a couple of years ago and just installed it last month.  Maybe it was Covid, but very disappointed with the fit.    They shorted me on both sections.  I made it work, but had to piece together carpet for the kick panel area as it wasn't wide enough there.  Then, ff I pulled the rear back far enough to cover the quarter trim, it moved the front part lower than I wanted (i.e. plastic foot panel was essentially 5 inches to far back).  I made it work, but my advice is to get the rear installed first, then install the front.  Before you cut anything, make sure it fits where you need it.

Best way to make the hole in a carpet is with a soldering iron. This makes a nice neat hole for the screws and seat belts. Find a soldering iron (not a gun) as this is a cleaner hole. As for carpet I have used ACC mass backed with good results. Measure well and leave a bit extra for trim, the fits are good.

I put a point on my soldering iron just for this job.  Going a bit anal I also put some blue tape on top of the carpet before drilling any holes.  Makes it a bit easier to see where the hole is drilled and where to burn thru with the iron.  Brian

Tools Soldering Iron b.JPG

Thanks for the tip on cutting near the sills.  I will let it settle.  I was wondering if anyone had used a steamer to help mold the carpet. I have never done that, not sure where to get one, but thought it would be interesting to try.

GearHead, Thanks.

I looked on Amazon and got myself a steamer.    I told my wife that she can use it after I am done with my carpet.  She was not impressed.......

Vicfreg,

Don't know if you still need the door panel hole locations, but here they are. Measured from the back edge (latch end) of the door,

Hole 1 -- 1.5 inches from edge, 2.25 inches from the bottom. 
Hole 2 -- 12.375 from edge, 1.5 inches from the bottom.
Hole 3 -- 22.875 from edge, 1.5 inches from the bottom.
Hole 4 -- 34.25 from edge, 1.5 inches from the bottom.
Hole 5 -- 43.25 from edge, 2 inches from the bottom.

I thought they would have been more uniform, but were consistent between my two doors. With a couple of quick images. IMG_9153.thumb.jpg.9d70f4061e7c8a4332b79bc72ebe6b4a.jpg

IMG_9154.jpg

The TMI deluxe panels I bought have predrilled holes, but what is odd, is the driver side is higher up (+/- 1 inch) than the predrilled holes on the passenger side.  The video on the TMI deluxe panels that CJPP made shows the holes further up, closer to my driver side.  Also, they have 6 holes, not 5.  I plan on doing something similar to @ThePoose but use 6 screws.

I installed ACC mass-backed carpet, that I purchased from RockAuto, in my convertible. I also had dynamat installed. I wouldn't use the mass-backed if I was to do it over. The extra density won't help quiet a convertible and the extra thickness makes it more difficult to fit and lay flat. One tool that helped the install was a heat-gun to warm-up and soften the back to get wrinkles out and better contour the carpet to the floor. Definitely cut the door sills LAST after everything such as the seats and seat belts are installed.