coz

What are your other "hobbies"....

I was sharing PMs with a fellow 69Stang poster from OZ about some shared hobbies and it started me wondering what other hobbies our members may have when not working on our cars.

I'm into golf and pistol / rifle shooting.

I took up golf about 8 years ago when I finally realized playing tackle football and adult baseball was killing me.  I played both in high school and college but that was in the 80's,  Now after a game of football I'd be one big bruise and limp around until the next game.  With baseball after 6 innings of pitching my arm was a noodle and I couldn't scratch my ass if I wanted to.  So I decided to take up golf.  Now I'm hooked.  I play at least once a week and often 2-3 times a week.  Not a great golfer but have a great time....

When I was younger I was into hunting.  I hunted all over the country (never trophy) including the Everglades of Florida and the mountains of Colorado and all over Alaska (lived there for a couple of years).  I'm out of hunting these days (I hunt in the meat aisle nowadays) but still love to target and 3-gun shoot.  I have lots of rifles and handguns in all kinds of calipers and configurations.  I'm left handed so most of my firearms are either set up as left handed or modified.  For pistols I own several HK45.

Attached is my latest site in.  Stag Arms Model 2 AR-15 chambered in 5.56, 16" barrel.  ACOG 4x32 battle scope, .62 match round. 100 yards.  1st shot was a little low in the 10 ring, 2 clicks on the scope and then the next 4 fired 1 second apart from each other.  You could say it's sited in well.  Next up is to test fire a new 300 AAC upper I just purchased.

So what are you guys into?

post-218-0-03771700-1430854996.jpg

When I have a car to work on I find I like to sink all of my free time into that.  I work in IT and have done some web design on the side as a "hobby" but found that since I spend so much time working on computers for my day job, working on old cars was a great release.  Now that I don't have a project currently, I dabble in drawing.  Graphite and charcoal portraits mainly.

post-13226-0-98156400-1430859895.jpg

post-13226-0-27252500-1430859918.jpg

post-13226-0-10409700-1430859995.jpg

post-13226-0-20463200-1430860009.jpg

Nice work there - Big Secz.  Also in IT for 28 years. 

Sparky - a 10/22 is a must for all gun owners.  Best plinker around...  I used to road race quite a bit.  I would log 150-200 miles a week on a Cannondale R2000.  Fun stuff but when I moved to the country the roads didn't support riding so I gave it up.  Too bad - it was great exercise.  Now I ride a recumbent bike in the basement to lose weight.

I like making money ...I am not very good at it .Is spending money a hobby ?

I used to be into off road racing and dirt bike riding .worked for Scott Douglass and Chuck Johnson in the late 80s and early 90s painting the Race truck and on the pit crew .Rode  dirt bikes almost every week end in the desert and Oil Dale in Bakersfield until every one moved away .Bought a ski boat and took up water skiing ..until everyone moved away .Now i just sit on my butt ,or work on Mustangs .

Is running around after two kids under 5 trying to keep them from killing themselves/each other a hobby?  If so that is the one I spend the most time on.  

Otherwise pre-kids we traveled a lot, camped a lot (the kids are getting into that so we might get to do more of it), biked a lot, a bit of DIY home repair/projects, and hopefully I'll be riding a new Motorcycle in the next couple weeks (hope the Mustang doesn't get Jealous).

My only "other" current hobby is golf. My love is metal fabrication, but count that as part of the car hobby. I used to golf at least 150 rounds a year. Since I quit the club two years ago, I golf about twice a month. I thought I'd go through withdrawls. But found I enjoy it more, have no expectations and shoot the same score.

I suppose I have a bit of ocd. When I was into karting, cycling and guns, I was all in. My God given talent is shooting. Towards the end of my police career, I hated having to qualify monthly. We could fire as many rounds as we wanted to at the range, but I didn't fire any more than it took to qualify. I haven't fired a gun in over ten years.

Hi Bob,

Know what you mean about OCD. I'm the same way. I was way into biking for a long time but haven't done it for 10 years now since I moved.  Sold all my "stuff".   I went all in on golf and now have 3+ sets of clubs - silly but that's me.  I think I'll stick with golf since I always have played a sport and football/baseball even in 30 year old and older leagues is killing me.  Again - because of being all in I'd end up banged up until the next game.  I had a thigh bruise from a football game back in Oct that was still showing up at Christmas.  Last year I fractured my shin and didn't know it until I had an x-ray 6 weeks later.  That hurt for a long time.

I've always been a shooter.  My father was FBI so I learned at an early age all about guns and responsibility.  It really is a talent and I think I also have it.  I've placed 3rd or better in about 20 shoot-offs around the area.  Here is the mid-Atlantic area you often compete against all the alphabet agencies.  I recently got into 3-gun shooting.  Wild stuff - AR, shotgun and pistol shooting all in the same round.  Did well in the limited class - 2nd out of 32.  The unlimited class is beyond me - too costly.  

75* and sunny today - off the golf course for me.

Is running around after two kids under 5 trying to keep them from killing themselves/each other a hobby? If so that is the one I spend the most time on.

Otherwise pre-kids we traveled a lot, camped a lot (the kids are getting into that so we might get to do more of it), biked a lot, a bit of DIY home repair/projects, and hopefully I'll be riding a new Motorcycle in the next couple weeks (hope the Mustang doesn't get Jealous).

Sounds like my hobby now!! My 2 kids are 9 months and 2 1/2 now. I used to shoot years ago but gave it up when the gun laws tightened up and play golf occasionally. I do a lot of diy around the house and landscaping these days. I'm too tight/broke to pay for someone else to do it.

I've shot competition with the Army off and on since 1981.  Now that I'm retired, I'm starting to get the itch to do it some more at the next level as a coach.  I also do plastic models with my boys, fishing and Cub Scout stuff with my boys.  Also do computer games like Battlefield 4, World of Tanks, and IL-2.

I am a collector personality. I collect cars, mustang books, lionel trains, machine tools, mechanic tools, woodworking tools, shelby steering wheels, a few die cast mustang and shelby cars.

I love working on my cars. Anything from basic mechanic work to engine building to metal work.

I have been learning more and more about metal shaping as it is a goal of mine to build a street rod. And by build it I mean build the entire frame and body.

I am also a woodworker, I do basic stuff all the way to making furnature.

Welding and fabrication, that's always fun.

Machine work. I have two lathes, two mills ( got the second one today), boring bar and a bunch of other stuff

Yup, I like my toys

Bob

Besides working on my 69 Mustang Coupe, I like woodworking. I like building furniture, & also tinkering & modding my 2000 Ranger 4X4 but that probably falls into the automotive category with the Mustang. I would love to stuff a 5.0 in the Ranger some time.

Working on someone else's Mustang has been a job, not so much a hobby as of late. I used to ride mountain bikes a bunch, till I messed up my hip and can't hardly pedal without tons of pain, not fun.

I have also been working with a group on a men's Discipleship class since Thanksgiving. It takes up a lot of time reading and studying (thats a good thing). My other sanity break is fishing, whether it is salt water, stream, lake or river, I'm there. I try to go at least once a week, year round.

LargeMouth_zps8663579a.jpg

Can't get into golf, chasing a little white ball around a cow pasture for several hours, not my cup of tea. Now if there were shotguns instead of clubs and more hazards to aim at (like land mines in the sand traps) I might could get into that! lol

Aside from working on my cars, I too DIY some around the house and the yard to keep it nice and pretty. Not so fun when you're a tenant, but we're flying back home soon, where we get to be in our own house again.

I love bikes - motorcycles. I am a Ducati fan, a "Ducatisti", as the Italians say. I owned a 1998 carbed 600 Supersport, then a 2001 900 SSie (electronic injection), and now, I ride a 2011 848 Evo. That's an incredibly fast and sexy looking Superbike. Very dangerous as well... I dream of owning the legendary 916, and learn how to work on it some day.

Aside from this, my other passion is surfing... I try to go as much as I can, but surf is not up every day in the Gulf. I love the dawn sessions before work. I usually hit the break by 5.30 am. Watching the sun rise while sitting on a surfboard is one of the most peaceful experiences in my life. Good for the soul. It becomes heavenly when dolphins decide to show up.

Back home, as we live close from the Alps and away from the coast, it's snowboarding and VTT.

And I shoot my 357 lever action rifle every now and then. Always puts a grin on my US Army and Marines buddies from work, to see a Frenchman hit at 200 yards with a good old cowboy rifle.

Life has been good so far.

G

I love bikes - motorcycles. I am a Ducati fan, a "Ducatisti", as the Italians say. I owned a 1998 carbed 600 Supersport, then a 2001 900 SSie (electronic injection), and now, I ride a 2011 848 Evo. That's an incredibly fast and sexy looking Superbike. Very dangerous as well... I dream of owning the legendary 916, and learn how to work on it some day.

I rode a friend's Desmosedici RR about 6-7 years ago. Looks very cool, but not my kind of bike. Like I could afford it anyway.

Interesting hearing about the IT pros here! I too have been in IT since the early 80's will likely continue until I hopefully retire out.

Hobby wise I wander around various things over the years including;

1) Brickfilms - i.e. stopmotion Lego - http://www.Protowrxs.com/StopMotion

2) Hobby robotics - http://letsmakerobots.com/user/18840/pages/robot

3) Home Automation - i.e. Online House - http://House.Protowrxs.com

.. and of course OTHER cars like my 88 TurboCoupe, 85 SVO Mustang and 89 4x4 Ranger.

I also dabble playing guitar, built a go kart from an old riding lawn mower and build an RC Lawnmower (http://letsmakerobots.com/node/38188)

No wonder my 69 Mustang is still in the garage unfinished...

Stephen

I've shot competition with the Army off and on since 1981.  Now that I'm retired, I'm starting to get the itch to do it some more at the next level as a coach.  I also do plastic models with my boys, fishing and Cub Scout stuff with my boys.  Also do computer games like Battlefield 4, World of Tanks, and IL-2.

pm me your username in worldoftanks, bf2 and il2 i have also done. 

I spend a lot of time Involved in racing, but I have other hobbies as well.

We've been known to do some fishing. My son caught this one when he was 5, and now he thinks he will catch one like this every trip out. Lol

81F5D914-7010-4278-8FC6-C72819F8E771_zps

We do a lot of boating.

48D813DB-1D7E-4A79-9523-7F9E1F5E080E_zps

There's flying for work.

A8B0D66B-0D95-4506-A5E4-FDB31A0A484A_zps

And flying for pleasure (I was in the Corsair).

8B0BD2B9-1CC7-45A6-AE76-BF295492EFAC_zps

836CFD3F-2C8B-4D83-9B18-A15D234597C9_zps

9CBEE482-B24D-4D3A-85F6-3A0FC25A0CC8_zps

I do a lot of shooting. My wife bought me a new toy for Christmas.

3BCA37A8-A892-49C0-9E22-FD54F95BC2AD_zps

And a lot of hunting. This was what I got in rifle season this year.

7056B05A-BC51-49CA-8754-A4769F705D70_zps

2D9F3D6A-DC25-497E-A31F-A6F22517EC05_zps

I've read that the Corsair is one scary aircraft to take off in, as it has so much power.  Is that true?  I've also read that there are only a half-dozen or so still flying, true?

Besides that, how does it handle?

Damn, I should've married Sportsroof69!

You can have whats left after his divorce settlement with me!! My dream job would be restoring/flying warbirds. I'm stuck with fixing flying computers they call helicopters these days.

I've read that the Corsair is one scary aircraft to take off in, as it has so much power. Is that true? I've also read that there are only a half-dozen or so still flying, true?

Besides that, how does it handle?

I'd venture there are more than half a dozen still flying. In the last 30 years, there were a total of 10 of these in Europe. Today, there are only 3 left (2 in the UK, 1 in France).

http://francewarbirds.free.fr/avions/chasse/corsair-f-azeg.html

Hey, what's with the two-sitter P-51? Was it modded? I fly too for a living... ;-)

I'd venture there are more than half a dozen still flying. In the last 30 years, there were a total of 10 of these in Europe. Today, there are only 3 left (2 in the UK, 1 in France).

http://francewarbirds.free.fr/avions/chasse/corsair-f-azeg.html

Hey, what's with the two-sitter P-51? Was it modded? I fly too for a living... ;-)

There's one in New zealand and pretty sure we have 1 here in Aus as well. I've loved the Corsair since watching black sheep squadron as a kid.

There are still quite a few Corsairs flying.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_surviving_Vought_F4U_Corsairs

Any airplane with a lot of power takes a little more rudder control during high power/low airspeed (takeoff) situations, especially a tail wheel.

The jump seat in the P51 is pretty common. Most of them have it now so they can give rides. I've ridden in some pretty cool aircraft between just knowing people from the business, and managing an FBO for 10 years. I've been in a B25, T6, corsair, British Strikemaster fighter jet trainer, and I've done arrobatic training in an extra 300, which was fun. I've got some good gopro footage of that one