Ridge Runner

Lets Make A Fiberglass Hood .

I spray the mold release first thing this morning .soon as that dried i sprayed the White gel coat.It was close to 90* today so it didn't take long to harden .I placed  my mat on the molds and trimmed it .I laid up both molds .Tomorrow i will trim the under brace and bond the two pieces together while the top is still in the mold .

_MG_4951_zpsklnu6jxi.jpg

_MG_4949_zpsmyc78v6o.jpg

_MG_4950_zpsnkznakrt.jpg

_MG_4952_zps4eanzpms.jpg

_MG_4953_zps0e22kn4m.jpg

_MG_4954_zpsqsonsees.jpg

I took the under brace from the mold and trimmed it out .I made a bunch of latch plates yesterday and i took one and welded in the nuts and primered it ,then i bolted it in the under brace and pop riveted in place . I bonded the under brace  into the top still in the mold .

Later today i pulled the hood from the mold ...That right ,we have the first hood !  I cut out the scoop openings ,ground the edges and drilled the hood hinge holes and threaded them .I also drilled the hood peak molding screw holes .

Number 1 is done !

_MG_4955_zpsrfuwthkw.jpg

_MG_4956_zpsxzw6nimd.jpg

_MG_4958_zpsq6dtzcer.jpg

_MG_4961_zpsu6lx14o3.jpg

_MG_4962_zps8t1jjfwn.jpg

_MG_4964_zpsaobgzdas.jpg

The first one has the edges covered in foam pipe insulation,wrapped in a big plastic bag ,boxed in a box that is glued taped and stuffed with paper ,going to be fun to unwrap ,i used two rolls of tape ! The hood by its self weighs 34 pounds ,boxed it is 51 pounds .The box has been turned inside out to hide ,In big letters...( MOPAR ) HAHAHA! Stupid Mopar box cut my fingers . and those bees ...They were alive when i put them in there .

WooooHOOOooooo looks awesome :-)

I have always said I didn't want to ever get the first anything that came off the assembly line.....But Ill take the 1st run on this one ha-ha.

34 lbs is pretty light still.....that's gotta be a good bit less than my metal hood for sure.

Depending on how quick it gets here I can have it fitted hopefully by the weekend and painted shortly there after haha.....

Send some Bees to haha

A guy I know that ships large stuff all the time uses greyhound. He said the only thing is to make sure you package it well and be there when it is unloaded so they aren't rough with it. I haven't ever used them but I have checked their prices and they are pretty reasonable.

I have heard of Folks using Grey Hound also but not sure how you would squeeze a Hood under a Grey Hound bus tho.

What are the dimensions?

and that is him shipping to me in Louisiana WOW.... think if it had to go further DAMN

Yeah ,i had a 23 model t delivery body shipped from back east and it was only 300 for the whole damn body .

we shipped a few parts Grey hound ,usually not bad but they lost a ram air hood and never did find it .How do you loose a hood ?

I am going to try UPS tomorrow

The box is 10" x 62" x 52" and it weighs 52 pounds

I just got  a shipping quote to send the first hood at $410.68 . WHAT THE HELL ? anyone have a good shipping company in Cali.That doesn't want the right one ,the left one ,and an arm and a leg too?

i just shipped a 70 steel hood from sl cal to cincinatti 2 days ago with greyhound to be picked up at the terminal by the buyer . . 3 day delivery for a whopping $110.00 which includes the maximum insurance of $300.00.

any ups store will ship it across country for $245.00 which includes $1000.00 insurance . . ups max size for the cheap rate is 165 inches which is length plus 2 times the width plus 2 times the depth so you will be over that.

rule number 1 . . call the shippers, do not use online rate quotes.

go to a box supply store and buy a small mattress box for $8.00 . . 72 x 7 x 54 . . and buy four, 4 foot long pieces of 3 inch high cardboard U channel to cut up and tape to the corners and nose.

Went to the ups store   Freight charge   221.58

fuel charge                                              46.09

residential pick up                                   47.27

residential delivery                                  47.27

total charge                                            362.21

Nothing like being shot down before you even get started .

You notice the pick up charge and delivery charge are more than the fuel charge ?

Went to the ups store   Freight charge   221.58

fuel charge                                              46.09

residential pick up                                   47.27

residential delivery                                  47.27

total charge                                            362.21

Nothing like being shot down before you even get started .

You notice the pick up charge and delivery charge are more than the fuel charge ?

thats odd about the fuel charge . . call this number and ask them . . ask for the owner.

Ups store . . 714-435-1322

also, you must tell them it is getting picked up and delivered to a business.