Ridge Runner

Lets Make A Fiberglass Hood .

Ridge,

Are all of your supplies sourced locally?

No ,i have to order it .Not many people use it ,it is to expensive .I can get Ortho out the wazoo but who wants to use cheap materials if you want to put out a good part .Just goes to show that not a lot of shops are using it because they do not stock a lot of it .

I placed an order today but it was not in stock so i have to wait a couple of days . I should have it by the time i am ready to use it .

My supplier is in Sacramento ,about 300 miles away.

If you would be inclined, I'd be very interested in the techy details of the materials you are using.  I have a FB project coming up soon and materials choice is a big concern.  Keep those updates coming!

Well Just let me know where I need to send the check or Money order Or Paypal Ridge and It will be there.

I should be able to have it painted and installed in a week or less, the guy who painted my last hood said he would do my new one for free LOL

If you would be inclined, I'd be very interested in the techy details of the materials you are using.  I have a FB project coming up soon and materials choice is a big concern.  Keep those updates coming!

About all you need to know is ISO -yes .Ortho -no . Use a good grade mat as well .Owens corning is a bit hard to work with ,especially with tight turn or deep pockets but makes a very strong part .

2 layers of 2 0z mat is good but if a thicker part is better go 3 layers .It is easier if you use 1 1/2 oz mat for the first layer as it will lay in easier in a mold with a lot of sharp corners or deep pockets .Then use 2 oz mat for the next layer /layers .

Use a good ISO based gel coat as well .

Hey, I finally found the link to a car with a similar kind of hood. I have been searching for a source for this hood for months, without any success. Most likely it was custom made, or perhaps cut from a Shelby hood? Anyway, looks very similar to what you're building Ridge Runner. Keep up the good work!!

http://www.vehiclesbyseller.net/1969-Ford-Mustang-Convertible-Nebraska-68127/5273529

871742-1-large.jpg

I hate to sound like a broken record, but this is such a cool project. I really enjoy projects like this and folks who don't take no for an answer. I have shaker buyer remorse.

Looking Good Ridge Looking GOOD.

Those pics of the other hood on the green car don't show the underside, so I bet those hood pins are not functioning and the locks are probably just secured into place for looks.

Also if you look at the front of the hood where it lines up with the headlight buckets you will see that the chrome trim doesnt come close to lining up, its like the hood is too short or needs to be adjusted forward 1/2"

Cant wait to get my hand on the one Ridge has going tho.

Don't know if I'm going to just paint the hood all the same color as the car, or add some black along the tops of the raised portions ???? Decisions decisions. I need some black to break up all my green tho haha.

Where ca one get the little grills that goes into the openings?

Also if you look at the front of the hood where it lines up with the headlight buckets you will see that the chrome trim doesnt come close to lining up, its like the hood is too short or needs to be adjusted forward 1/2"

I looked through all the pics and I'm guessing that is '70 Mustang hood trim which is a lot thinner than '69.   11 pictures and not ONE shot of under the hood !!

Think this might be my 1st post in this thread ... I've been intensely following it though since the beginning and am just blown away with your talent & skills RIDGE RUNNER and are so glad you decided to share this project with all of us in such great detail !!

My '82 vintage Calypso Coral paint job still looks decent but is showing it's age.   I've been debating going back to the factory "Lime Gold" color and was thinking I'd change over to a Shaker hood and black-out treatment to go along with the more sedate Lime Gold (vs. my current bright orange).  

Looking at all the pics of that rag-top with it's Ridge-Runner style hood and being Silver Jade (also a light green color similar ... in pics anyway ... to Lime Gold) has me thinking.   Certainly would be cheaper and easier than collecting all the correct parts for a 351W Shaker and be much more unique !!

I'd miss my factory hood pins though, as it appears they would fall in about the same spots as the front scoops.    Putting them wider like the silver jade car (if possible) might not look quite right either.

Thanks again Ridge for this wonderful contribution !!

Doug     

Well the screens are going to have to be hand fit no mater how you look at it so i think the best bet is to buy the ones from Mustangs Unlimited .I can send a template of card paper copied from the ones i fit to my Shelby replica .The right side is a flip over from the left side ..The screens from Mustangs U. are aluminum so it isn't hard to bend them ,it would just be a pain in the butt to hand fit every one on every hood . I was trying to figure out a way to attach them ,they will have to be glued in place ,i was thinking possibly windshield glue with a few dots on the back of the scoops and press the screens into it and allow it to set up .The screens are black so it would be done after the hood is painted .

_MG_4944_zps7zikxnja.jpg

_MG_4945_zpssrsck3wo.jpg

_MG_4947_zpstehrx1lx.jpg_MG_4948_zpsoyyxyczw.jpg

_MG_4948_zpsoyyxyczw.jpg

Hey my materials just made it in ! I am into this for a bit over $4,000 now ...Good news @MikeStang ,Your hood will only cost $3,999.99 HAHAHA!

HAHA.... Well Ridge for 3,999.00 do I get an entire GT500 Body Kit :-) ..... I dont think its going to take long to Recoup your money on the hoods tho.

Heck just people on here buying them should put ya into the Green pretty fast I would think.

Then once a few are on cars and painted you could easily sale your hoods to some of the mustang vendors I would think?

I will take you several photos of mine you can use for advertisement LOL.

Would it maybe be a good idea to somehow bond a few small studs into the hoods around the vents so that one could use a nut to secure the screens?

Oh what style air cleaner setup will be needed to fit inside the center duct area?

May be building me something for that because of the Vic Jr. Intake haha.

Man oh man cant wait to see this thing.

My Mr. Mikes Fiero Seat Covers should be here about the same time as your hood HAHA