Raven R code

~ 1969 headers for 428 CJ

Just picked up my engine from getting rebuilt. Was told that the factory cast iron headers rob the motor of 40 HP . I'm considering headers but not sure what actually fits with modifications. My friend with a 390 car had to modify a lot to get to get them to fit.

I have Hooker super comp headers on my 390 , sound great but was not fun to get them off and on.

Same here!!!  They are also not the best for ground clearance either.   I had mine modified a bit at the collector to help a little.  Depending on your setup, FPA makes a Tri-Y headers that should perform pretty well and give you a bit more clearance and headache.

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/390428triy.htm

Why......in 2016, can't a manufacturer get it right??!! My friend hand to modify to clear the pitman arm(?) on the passenger side and I think it was equalizer bar on the other side. Now his headers are dented and bent in order to fit. What kills me is the. Car hasn't changed in 50 years.....there shouldn't be surprises at this point. Now my engine guy is against headers because my car is an original low mile car. Couldn't I just put headers on and keep my originals in a box without hurting the value or do they need to be on the car?

I wonder I wonder what the Russian spammers think? I hope they chime in.

Honestly, I would give up the 40hp. It would only be on the very top end of the power curve anyway. For a mostly street driven car (I am assuming here), the 428 through factory manifolds provides plenty of smiles.

As far as resale goes, don't worry about it. It is simply a bolt on that can be bolted off (not so simply) I ran headers in a CJ car I owned years ago because the car came with them when I bought it. The front drivers side bolt touched the shock tower so all the engine vibrations transferred to the chassis. I finally paid a buddy at Midas to get rid of them, which he did with a torch. Noticed no difference in power through the CJ manifolds, and this was a fairly modified motor.

IMO, on CJ cars, headers are expensive and a headache. Not even remotely worth it.

I have Hooker Super Comps 6114 on my car.  I installed the engine with headers and tranny attached.  Took about 2 hours with 3 people, but we got it in.  I can explain how we did it if you like.  I used Remflex gaskets to minimize the chance of header gasket leaks.  As other have said, the top front bolts touch the shock towers.  If you get a chance to buy or look at a copy of Jay Brown's book titled, "The Great FE Intake Comparo," he also shows dyno test results with different manifolds and headers.  It is an excellent book for any FE wrench turner.

The Hooker Super Comp 6114 have outstanding torque which is great for a street car, but other headers had better HP at higher RPMs, so a drag car would like those better.  http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker/520/6114/10002/-1?gclid=CPfi_Ny159ACFYKHfgodrSMPbw

The FPA headers that others mention have good ground clearance, and are a Tri-Y design.  Stan is the FPA owner, and his shop is close to me.  I've seen his operation, and he has an excellent product.  A friend has some of his headers on his 1958 428 powered Ranchero and loves them.  http://www.fordpowertrain.com/390428triy.htm

Sandersons makes shorty headers, but I have no experience with them https://www.sandersonheaders.com/sanderson-ff393-header-set-fits-ford-fe-engines-in-mustang.html?category_id=76

Hope this helps.

If you are worried about the power loss, how about you lightly port/smooth the inside of the stock manifolds. That will help flow a little and gain you a couple of ponies back.

They you are also stock without the low clearance problems

Bob

I have Hooker Super Comps 6114 on my car.  I installed the engine with headers and tranny attached.  Took about 2 hours with 3 people, but we got it in.  I can explain how we did it if you like.  I used Remflex gaskets to minimize the chance of header gasket leaks.  As other have said, the top front bolts touch the shock towers.  If you get a chance to buy or look at a copy of Jay Brown's book titled, "The Great FE Intake Comparo," he also shows dyno test results with different manifolds and headers.  It is an excellent book for any FE wrench turner.

The Hooker Super Comp 6114 have outstanding torque which is great for a street car, but other headers had better HP at higher RPMs, so a drag car would like those better.  http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker/520/6114/10002/-1?gclid=CPfi_Ny159ACFYKHfgodrSMPbw

The FPA headers that others mention have good ground clearance, and are a Tri-Y design.  Stan is the FPA owner, and his shop is close to me.  I've seen his operation, and he has an excellent product.  A friend has some of his headers on his 1958 428 powered Ranchero and loves them.  http://www.fordpowertrain.com/390428triy.htm

Sandersons makes shorty headers, but I have no experience with them https://www.sandersonheaders.com/sanderson-ff393-header-set-fits-ford-fe-engines-in-mustang.html?category_id=76

Hope this helps.

I love my 351W FPA headers, ground clearance is really great and quality is awesome.  I would give Stan a call about fitment and installation procedure.  

To header or not to is always a great topic for discussion.  For the 69 428 cars the exhaust manifolds were described as ' header-type ' and the exhaust was, after all, 2 & 1/4" pretty large for the day.  When this discussion comes up first thing I do is look at my wrapped shock towers with the 3/8" or so clear to the exhaust manifolds and say ' I don't think so '.  The left side of the engine compartment has a ton of stuff in there already.  Any alteration needed for the clutch/Z-bar would just make a bad situation worse.  Dented pipes or cut outs in the shock tower wraps just doesn't seem right.  A 40 HP gain may be achievable at wot and 6 K rpm but I don't see that kind of gain at any kind of street driving.  Every so often FPA's custom fit for CJ's comes up and I go look at my shock towers.  Brian

I did a set of the Hooker cross under headers on a 67 Shelby with a 428 PI .they went in before the motor and as the motor came low enough i bolted them up then set the motor the rest of the way down .It wasnt all that bad but it wasnt all that fun .It is hard not to scratch something ,had blankets every where to protect the paint .Sure sounded sweet though when it was done .