I would like some opinions.  let me have it, just be honest.  I reserve the right to do whatever the hell I like after I get some advice, but I'm looking for your thoughts.

I've got a beautiful coupe.  It's a base model 302/C4 - nothing really special other than ALL original VIN's in place, engine/tranny/ everything rebuilt - she's probably better than new (I've sure spent more than was ever put into it, and it's questionable if I'd ever be able to get out what I've put in.   It's ok because the car is sentimental (bought for me by my super cool dad, from my Uncle (who was second owner) in 1980.  I'll never sell, and I've got 2 boys both of whicj would be happy to keep her when I'm gone.

I've rebuilt the whole thing and paint is now done.  I wanted to paint on some stripes, but dear God... the cost of paint alone liked to killed me - so I left them off.  It came out great, "Ford Ruby Red Metallic" which I am happy with, but it's a dark color and it "needs some decoration" to make it look better (IMHO).  I'm not into going "far afield" form the original....

...but I'd really, really like some white stripes on it.

I really think this would look greathttp://www.phoenixgraphix.com/ford/sk105.php

BUT, my car is not a GT.  I don't wanna be a "pretender".  How egregious of a sin is it to apply GT stripes to a regular coupe? I'm inclined to just do it, but I'd like to know what you guys think, if I'm way off in minority land, and everyone will just troll me on "pretending", I'd probably not care for that at all.

So what do you think?  Is it dumb to put GT stripes on a standard coupe? Or, do I deserve to do what I like? How much crap might I get if I show it?

Other things I am doing for looks:

1. Probably going with Cragar SS Chrome Wheels
  2. White letter tires  (either Cooper or Goodrich)
  3. I've already bought the "grande' wheel well chrome" edging (some installed and I love it)

Alternatively, I'm thinking of doing the grande chrome wheel-well-wheel-well strip instead of the GT stripe.

Thoughts?  Yeah, It's my car and I will do whatever I like, but it never hurts to get some advice from folks you respect.

Thanks in advance-

Jay

Do it! Cragar SS wheels were the first wheels I loved and was but a young teenager. Since the stripes are an original Mustang deal I'd do them also. That's the great thing about Mustang's, they were advertised to build them your way. 

I think the '69 GT stripes in white would look great on your Mustang with the Ruby Red. My '69 Coupe (an original GT) has the white stripes on Acapulco Blue and I really like the way they compliment the color. Since the stripes have no GT call out in them, you really would not be making a clone unless you added all the other trim. I have seen these same stripes beginning to show up on late model Mustangs.

My own personal opinion is that the chrome rocker trim as well as chrome wheel trim does not look all that great with the stripes. It is your car after all, so go with the look that you like best.

I have a 69 Coupe & it is not a GT but I have a set of 68 GT rims that are on it along with Cooper Cobra Radial GT tires & once the car is painted I am going to add the 69 GT stripes to mine, so I say do it, add the GT stripes.

52733-way-sits-6-10-16.jpg

Great comments guys!  I think I am sold!  I am currently planning on skipping the Grande chrome rocker strip, but keeping the wheel well chrome.  I'm gonna add the white GT stripes on the side, but they won't say anything and they will be plain white over the red.  

Question about the stripes:  I really like this site: http://www.phoenixgraphix.com/ford/sk105.php, but I notice one of the things they sell is "UV protectant" that you have to spray on the stripes.... Seems to me that any stripe kit worth it's salt would already be made of UV resistant materials...  Do y'all have any recommendation for quality stripes (say 3M brand) or something?  Not sure I want to buy into cheap stripes on this brand new nearly perfect paint....  ALSO, can I buy "gloss stripes" or are they satin/flat?  I'd really prefer some gloss so they semi match the paint...

Thanks for everyone submitting thoughts.  Gave me good feeling about the way I was leaning, and I'm headed off that way.  I promise to post pics a month or so from now after this stuff is in place!

Jay 

I have installed one of these stripe sets from Phoenix Graphics and was very pleased with the result. The material was thick enough to handle well and bubbles were not hard to work out. The finish is sort of a semi gloss that looks right and the dimensions are right on. I have never used the UV Protectant, but it probably would help provide a longer service life for the stripes. These side stripes will not be exposed to as much direct sunlight as a hood stripe so they may do well without the protectant. 

I bought my Mach when she was new 46 years ago and she's still original. A few months after I got it some of the stripes started to curl and eventually those parts chipped out. And then I really started to dislike the reflective nature of the stripes. I think the cars look bare without stripes as an accent. There is little to no chrome so there is nothing to fill in the big voids.

Looking at the 69's sister, I personally think the most attractive stripe pattern is on the 70 Grabber. Purists would say to keep the original design but I'm contemplating doing what I think would look best (at least to my eye). I may paint on non reflective Grabber stripes with a big Mach1 interrupting the stripe behind the front wheel wells. It will be unique and many people may not like it, but I'm more concerned with what is visually pleasing to my eye, and I think you should be too.

I feel your pain every day I look at my car and I ask myself stripe or no stripe.  its your car do what makes you smile.

likewise, im in the same boat as all of u. but the stripe i wanted to go with was with the modern cs/gt fade stripe, but i've been looking to see if they can change the writing to 351w or something. 

likewise, im in the same boat as all of u. but the stripe i wanted to go with was with the modern cs/gt fade stripe, but i've been looking to see if they can change the writing to 351w or something. 

You're talking about the stripe from the 2007 California Special GT/CS?

280px-Red_2007_gtcs_profile.jpg 2007_00054_01.jpg

That would look really good on your car. They just don't look complete without something in those large open areas. I like the fade- that gives me some ideas. Many of the graphics companies will do custom letters/numbers.

I actually really like the idea of that fading stripe.... I'd want one with no lettering, but it's about the same width as the boss stripe (usually gold I think).  But you could use that fade out stripe at about the same location with no lettering on a 69, and that would look pretty awesome.  Good idea, in my opinion.  Go do it, and send us pics!

I bought the white GT stripes from Phoenix Graphics as mentioned above.  They don't cost alot, so as long as they are removable, I figure it's not a big risk at all.  It kinda hacks me off that they don't make those stripes out of UV resistant materials, I woulda spent the extra.  Living on the gulf coast, one thing I can tell you we get is hellish UV.  Anyway, I didn't buy their UV protectant, I'll just get something else at the local store.  

I haven't put the stripes on yet (and who knows when I will do that), but I promise to post pics when complete!

I have a GT convertible in Acapulco blue with a white top and interior and I have not put the GT stripe on the car yet because the car has the exterior decor package which gives the car the thin stainless rocker molding and I don't know about having both the stripe and the thin rocker molding. For now neither are installed. What do you guys think?

I have a GT convertible in Acapulco blue with a white top and interior and I have not put the GT stripe on the car yet because the car has the exterior decor package which gives the car the thin stainless rocker molding and I don't know about having both the stripe and the thin rocker molding. For now neither are installed. What do you guys think?

You mean like the molding on the 69 Mach? Pictures help

Personally, I don't think both should go on.  If it was me picking, I would put the GT stripe on, and not the chrome.  Alternatively, you could put the chrome and not the stripe.   I think the striped does a better job of decorating than the chrome, but the chrome does look nice.  Main problem is the GT stripe is very low, right next to the rocker chrome, so both together is either too much or not necessary.

So, My opinion is put the GT stripe on, and sell the chrome.

FWIW.  -Jay

Yes. Just like the Mach one moldings.

And you're thinking the stock GT stripe, and it extends back behind the rear wheels? The chrome is just between the wheels. If the car came that way it should look OK, but if it didn't then just the stripe.

Oh yeah that's better still, it begins behind the wheel wells and will fade right into your side scoops. Go for it, and post pics.

I actually really like the idea of that fading stripe.... I'd want one with no lettering, but it's about the same width as the boss stripe (usually gold I think).  But you could use that fade out stripe at about the same location with no lettering on a 69, and that would look pretty awesome.  Good idea, in my opinion.  Go do it, and send us pics!

I bought the white GT stripes from Phoenix Graphics as mentioned above.  They don't cost alot, so as long as they are removable, I figure it's not a big risk at all.  It kinda hacks me off that they don't make those stripes out of UV resistant materials, I woulda spent the extra.  Living on the gulf coast, one thing I can tell you we get is hellish UV.  Anyway, I didn't buy their UV protectant, I'll just get something else at the local store.  

I haven't put the stripes on yet (and who knows when I will do that), but I promise to post pics when complete!

Im in the process of looking for a place to custom make mine, but currently i would like to know the part number, size and length. It seems to be 2011-12 cs/gt emblem but i cant find any info not even through the ford parts site.