Sign in to follow this  
1BAD351

Collector Insurance... Which one?

I'm turning 25 in December so want to switch over to collector insurance. I've looked at Hagerty, Grundy, American collectors, Chubb and Barrett Jackson. What do you guys have and or like/think is best?

I've been with Hagerty ever since I met their criteria of having a garage on my property to store the vehicle (2002 I think) and have been very happy with them, they really stood up and faught for me when my car got totalled, even though they weren't the company paying out they made sure the other insurance company didn't mess around. They are very liberal about use of the car also and let you choose the value of the car to insure it at within reason rather than just what the market says it is worth.

One of our members had an ugly time with Grundy not too long ago as I recall.

I have American Collectors Insurance, which also lets you pick the value of the car. I've not had an accident or damage requiring a claim, so I don't know what their service is like if you need them. My normal insurance company (USAA) is affiliadted with them and recommended them for classic insurance purposes though.

I use hagerity as they are the only one I found that will insure someone under 25. So far so great. Rates seems low to me since there is not a mileage limit. I think I am going to stay with them even when I turn 25.

Earlier this year I did some work on the car, replacing frame rails and shocktowers, called them up told them I wanted to up the insurance amount by 5k and they said no problem.

I'm not sure how it works in the US, but just because you get to "pick" the value of the car doesn't necessarily mean that's how much you'll get in the case of a total loss (ie. fire) here in Canada. Insurance endorsement 19 says that the "agreed value" of the car might be less, since the car depreciates and the value goes down as you're driving it (even though, yes, the car appreciates in value over time). Endorsement 19A guarantees the full replacement value of the car, but this requires an insurance appraisal to get the real value of the car. Hagerty seems to be pretty decent with honoring the "agreed value" of the car, but without a policy with a formal appraisal (updated every few years) I'd say it's pretty tough to get a 100% guarantee as to what the total replacement value is.

That said, Hagerty in Canada does offer a 19A endorsement, which guarantees the replacement value. Oddly enough, the guaranteed replacement value is the "agreed value" of the car -- although I did supply an appraisal report even though they didn't request it.

Google "difference between 19 and 19A insurance endorsement". You want to make sure you've got a 19A for your collector car.

I have AllState with my '69. The car was totalled in 2005 (Hurricane Katrina flood damage). They did a pretty good job of "valuing" the car. They valued it at $8k (it was probably worth that, maybe a little less). I got to keep the car and $4500 (the other $3500 was "scrap value" and deductable). I don't think they offer agreed value coverage. Once I get it back on the road, I will check on it.

M/C

+1 American Collectors, very happy with them.

Both my brother & I have American Collectors. He had several claims & never had a problem, one was within days of buying the insurance. I just keep paying premiums & have yet to test them out.

ive been with hagerty for 3 years and very happy, just had to send pictures of my car on the agreed value. almost done with new paint and body work so i will up a few thousand and they said no prob just got to send in new pics.

Hmm. Well my car has been appraised so I have a certificate proving it's value. It's a few years old though so I'm not sure if it will hold true still. But The reason I was thinking against American Collectors is that they have a 100 dollar deductible and they are $80 more a year than Hagerty who has no deductible. Coverage for the two is about the same and in most cases if there was a difference it leaned toward Hagerty being better.

I currently have Heacock since they covered the car during my restoration, so if it fell off a tow truck or the painter blew up his building it would be replaced.

However, I will be moving over to Hagerty in December since Allstate recently added them as a partner and I can roll my classic cars into an all in one policy and still keep collector car insurance.

I have Hagerty and have had no issues. I did some research and most classic car insurance companies offer similar packages with similar pricing. I've found Grundy to be cheaper but have heard bad things about making claims. The thing to remember is you usually get one big claim (Pak's claim aside) before they drop you or raise the rate. If this happens, move on to another insurance company. Make sure you read the coverage items closely (agreed value .v. stated or current value) and that you are square with them on modifications. A buddy lied about engine mods and even though the mods weren't the cause of the accident he was not covered because he mis-represented the vehicle.

A friend who has a 70 FB has Haggerty as do I. This guys is very talented but instead of spending 1.00 to do something right he'll spend .90 and do it half assed. He restored his FB and it's absolutely gorgeous unless you look under the car or under the hood, a pitiful untouched mess from the begining of time. His fuel line rotted and caught on fire, no fire extinguisher because he's an f'ing idiot. Major fire damage, Haggerty was Johnny on the spot and wrote him a big check. Moral to the story, he's and half assed f'ing idiot and we all pay for it.

Well I don't half ass ANYTHING, it's done right or it's not done at all. I also never plan on making a claim haha. Looks like I'll go with Hagerty and see what they say. Thanks for all the great input guys!