stangme428

69 coupe build

getting ready for a sanding party...... slow progress as we have time...:tongue_smilie: gonna scuff up and degrease the engine compartment and paint it eastwood underhood satin black...

also gonna sand the roof down a bit and look at applying the por products....

I'm not sure where you live, but be careful with that style of garage structure. I had my car in the exact same kind of structure this past winter and we ended up getting a ton of snow this year. The first snowfall in December caused the sturcture to collapse on my car. The damage could have been a lot worse. I ended up having to have a new top installed and had two dents on the right side of the car and ended up having to have the entire right side repainted. Total cost of repairs was $2200.

Big Secz - yep i remember reading a post on your accident...

the car is in Jax florida, so we have to worry about strong winds but not snow.... hopefully it wont be under it to long... lol.. but this project has taken much longer than expected...lol

the car is in Jax florida, so we have to worry about strong winds but not snow.... hopefully it wont be under it to long... lol.. but this project has taken much longer than expected...lol

Well at least you don't have the snow to worry about. I think it'll do okay in the wind as long as you don't get a hurricane, so long as you anchor it well to the ground. Just make sure you keep and eye on it and check the support poles every now and then for any leaning.

Well at least you don't have the snow to worry about. I think it'll do okay in the wind as long as you don't get a hurricane, so long as you anchor it well to the ground. Just make sure you keep and eye on it and check the support poles every now and then for any leaning.

ARGH!!!!!!! freakin' depressing...... roof is gone.... just too much rust no way its repairable .... gonna get back on the search for a donor car... time for a beer!!! or 12:scared::biggrin:

Edited by stangme428

ARGH!!!!!!! freakin' depressing...... roof is gone.... just too much rust no way its repairable .... gonna get back on the search for a donor car... time for a beer!!! or 12:scared::biggrin:

Edited by stangme428

After I finished stripping off all the old paint from my Coupe I found across the front of the roof right up by the windsheld & down along the l/s above the drip rail alot of filler hiding alot of small dents in the roof. Very depressing I didnt want to put the vinyl top back on but now I have to. It would probably cost to much to fix all those dents.

After I finished stripping off all the old paint from my Coupe I found across the front of the roof right up by the windsheld & down along the l/s above the drip rail alot of filler hiding alot of small dents in the roof. Very depressing I didnt want to put the vinyl top back on but now I have to. It would probably cost to much to fix all those dents.

just looking for options - we cleaned off the roof with air and water and started sanding a bit to see what remained... rust and metal came off in layers and chunks... unreal.. i will never own a car with a vinyl roof... no offense to those that do... but i would pull the vinyl off and protect the metal and reinstall, if you wanted to keep the vinyl .... my car has had a typical life with lots of time spent in a garage ... but i do think the south GA weather did it in for the last 4 years... i pulled it out of a garage and let it sit in the weather.... that's when the bubbles began.. maybe im wrong.. but either way... it is what it is..

doing some more research on the 69 shelby demexico... we have some posts around on this site so .. gonna dig them back up.

also looking at the idea of taking a fastback roof skin and modifying for a coupe ... the main section on my coupe that needs replacing is the middle area .. not the areas around the edge so much. trying to find out more about the shape of the coupe roof and the fastback roof... if anybody has a coupe and fastback sitting side by side... carboard template to check shape would be worth a million dollars.... lol

ah scrap that... fastback way too different from the pics... oh well.....

hope everybody has a safe 4th of july celebration here in the states!!!:tongue_smilie:

Edited by stangme428

just looking for options - we cleaned off the roof with air and water and started sanding a bit to see what remained... rust and metal came off in layers and chunks... unreal.. i will never own a car with a vinyl roof... no offense to those that do... but i would pull the vinyl off and protect the metal and reinstall, if you wanted to keep the vinyl .... my car has had a typical life with lots of time spent in a garage ... but i do think the south GA weather did it in for the last 4 years... i pulled it out of a garage and let it sit in the weather.... that's when the bubbles began.. maybe im wrong.. but either way... it is what it is..

doing some more research on the 69 shelby demexico... we have some posts around on this site so .. gonna dig them back up......................

Yeah, I never liked vinyl roofs either but back in 1978 I but my '70 Grabber Fastback in a ditch on Blythe Island (I'm sure you know where that is (LOL)) and damaged the roof so I ended up going that way.

1970GRABBER.jpg

Day I of ownership in 1970

WRECK.jpg

After my ditch landing and roof damage in 1977

FRT1987.jpg

What it looked like years later when I sold it in 1992

Edited by 70Mach03

yep - i know where blythe island is...nice ride... btw - im sitting in moncks corner... about to hit the pool... :tongue_smilie:

This is the first year the local Corvette club didn't hold a open carshow up at Santee State Park in Moncks Corner on the fourth July weekend or I would be up there today. There's another West Ashley tonight at Bessenger's BBQ from 6 pm to 9 pm that I'll probably go to instead.

We'll be in Moncks Corner at Short Stay for a week with family 11 thru 19 July.

To get us back on track, I always felt if I had the time, money, expertise, blah blah, and etc. (LOL) I love to do a 69/70 coup up as a 69/70 Shelby GT-350/500 convertible clone and add a vinyl roof instead.

a bit of progress... a little at a time... trying to not focus on the negative of the roof and work thru other parts of the car.

i had sanded the engine compartment down and painted it with eastwood corroless during the twin turbo phase and a friends brother painted it gloss black.

well we scuffed up the gloss and we used eastwood chasis satin black. i like the satin look instead of gloss... we finished the front side panels and shock towers and will work are way back to the fire wall.

- yes we will remove the fenders to paint them... and we are cutting out the battery tray rot and repaint...

- also looking into routing the factory wiring thru the fender to clean up the engine bay.

Edited by stangme428

Are you not repairing the battery apron?

I like the satin look better as well. I initially used Zero Rust topped by their gloss clear and it was wayyyy too glossy. I then scuffed and topcoated that with Krylon 1613, but now they changed the formula for 1613 and its too glossy so not sure how I'll do touchups :crying:

yep - we will be cutting the bad metal out soon....:tongue_smilie:

Are you not repairing the battery apron?

I like the satin look better as well. I initially used Zero Rust topped by their gloss clear and it was wayyyy too glossy. I then scuffed and topcoated that with Krylon 1613, but now they changed the formula for 1613 and its too glossy so not sure how I'll do touchups :crying:

i thought i would post some new goals--

Goals are:

• prepare engine compartment for motor install
  • cut out bad battery tray area, weld in new metal
  • install motor
  • paint maier shock tower/firewall brace (test fit)
  • possible route wiring into fender
  • install alternator (purchase alternator and brackets)
  • remove external factory voltage regulator
  • wire mallory distributor
  • install new sending units for autometer gauges
  • install new brake lines and clips
  • install new proportioning valve
  • install new grommets as needed
  • remove AC condenser and related (replace with new kit)
  • install new radiator
  • :tongue_smilie:

once completed...move to the interior....:biggrin:

just a quick update -

• found a roof to replace the rusty coupe roof
  • the engine compartment looks better than the pics after drying
  • mailed off the McLeod hydraulic throwout bearing to Modern Driveline for the replacement (thanks buening!)
  • found a 69 fastback:tongue_smilie::scared::whistling::punk:

still a maybe on the 69 fastback - the price is good and it will be saved for a future project.. the coupe has taken so long.... but opportunity knocks.. so we shall see.....