stangme428

69 coupe build

buening/Jayru thanks! cant wait to see it in person! yeah hope to have some more photos Thursday night on my visit to Jax.... my buddy went by today and sent me a few camera phone pics, Ill post a few more shots and give a go no go on the color Thursday. so far it looks good, almost black without a flash, but with light or a flash its a deep blue.

the door jam, under the fender is all paint, no clear. the old valance was just wiped of and sprayed with some clear over it also.

btw its freakin cold @19F, dunno how you guys up north live in it... i guess i have been down south in the humidity too long..lol

quick update-

gave the go ahead on the paint L6 Kona blue. Decided to go with the complete car blue with Boss 302 headlight/tail light blackout and hood, no Boss C stripe.

with the Kona blue being so dark, I think I will have the look I want.

scheduled to pick up the car from Mustang Masters after initial coat on Tuesday 12.21.10. then install the motor and get the brakes working so she can be driven in/out of the paint booth. then a second coat, fix imperfections and then a third coat....

...maybe Santa will bring me that money tree i asked for....

getting closer....:thumbup:

ah a bit behind schedule... maybe next week... which is fine.. id rather have it done the correct way... no rush... more time for the money tree to get here...lol

quick update-

scheduled to pick up the car from Mustang Masters after initial coat on Tuesday 12.21.10. then install the motor and get the brakes working so she can be driven in/out of the paint booth. then a second coat, fix imperfections and then a third coat....

...maybe Santa will bring me that money tree i asked for....

getting closer....:thumbup:

Like my 75 year old co-worker would say, "Take your time...but hurry up." lol If there is one thing I've learned from working on cars, it's patience. You car is gonna look sweet when its all done dude.

quick update --- talked to Freddy at Mustang Masters today, may roll into the paint booth on Monday 1.3.2011 for a initial first spray.

the door jams, under hood, under trunk, backside of fenders are all done.

hope to have pics late Tuesday...:biggrin:

You are using Fast Freddy from THAT Mustang Masters??? It didn't register at first. Hopefully you get a good job and he doesn't screw you like he does everyone on ebay. He doesn't have a good reputation on other websites like the VMF. Looking forward to the pictures though, that is one sweet color you picked out!

buening - yeah -- i try to drop by once a week to check on progress and take pics. so far so good... but yeah its hard to find a restoration/parts shop that doesn't have a bad deal or tarnished reputation. seems it takes just as long to find a shop that will actually schedule and do work than to find that one illusive part you need...lol.

Freddy has a lot of parts and lots of project cars to pull from. so, like i said so far so good... prices have been fair and work has been done per written statement and paid in full when completed in stages etc.

some of the shops i have considered using seem to have gone under and i have heard stories of folks getting their car(s) back in pieces. so, its a tough market... i think that has driven a lot of people to try to do the work themselves. which i may have done if i had a proper garage and time...but i have neither..

i could have used a shop many hours away, but i didn't feel comfortable doing that, i took a chance with Mustang Masters after stopping by and checking out a few cars in progress and going through his place. nothing fancy, just a very simple setup with what he has... i would say he is at the point where he needs to take it to the next level, which costs money and the prices will go up to cover it... but.. that's business.

hopefully all will turn out ok and i will be driving my 69 by the time the MCA National Show happens in May.:punk:

You are using Fast Freddy from THAT Mustang Masters??? It didn't register at first. Hopefully you get a good job and he doesn't screw you like he does everyone on ebay. He doesn't have a good reputation on other websites like the VMF. Looking forward to the pictures though, that is one sweet color you picked out!

maybe what he was trying to say was a black sealer. did he cut through the primer in some spots?

maybe so... if you look at one of the last pics i took before paint i can see a bit of metal near the side scoop..

i may be mistaken i have heard "basecoat to seal the primer.." so I may be incorrect either way... its coming back to the garage so the mechanical can be finished.. then back for touch up and paint...:rockon:

The painting/spraying process is.... Seal,Basecoat,Clear....

• Primer (Sand the primer to take out all scratches/imperfections. I finish sanding with 600 wet) Once happy with the finished surface then the car is blown down and completey washed. I use tumbler to wash the primer. Then go over the whole car with a tack cloth.
  • Then the car is sprayed with a sealer. For mine I used a dark grey. This can also be LIGHTLY sanded if need be (ie any dirt or small dust in the sealer coat)
  • Then the basecoat is sprayed. Usually 3 coats. again, you can lighly sand out inperfections between coats.
  • Finally the clear is sprayed. I usually spray 4 coats (letting to tack dry between coats) because I know I will be wetsanding a coat off once cured. Also if there are any dies/pearls to be applied, this will be done in the first coat.

Looking forward to seeing your car in that color !!! It should look sharp in the sun !!

did you get any response as to the details of the black? i'm not a bodyman, so i'm just trying to understand how professionals do work. with the gloss, it makes me believe it's a single stage topcoat. however, i didn't think those types of paint should be sprayed over metal. hmm?

she is back in black for now - all imperfections should stand out!! we are going to install the motor and trans, measure for the drive shaft, then it goes back to the shop for final body work and paint--

Wish I had thought of doing that when I was prepping mine for paint. With the light gray primer it looked good, but when it was painted, the High Gloss Clear showed ever little ripple and imperfection.

Very sweet looking .. it looks like they buffed it out pretty seriously too. It'll definately show any imperfections. I suppose they have to ruff it up again to get the color to stick to it when the final body work is done.