Topless69GT

69 front suspension

Time for my 2017 project on my 69 GT convertible. Last year I added FiTech efi and love it. This year I am going to put new front suspension on the car. I will add rack and pinion steering in 2018. I drive the car on weekends and occasionally to work. I am looking at maybe doing a coil over suspension system but am not sure if that is the way to go. Maybe that is too much for my application? What are other folks using and how do you like it? I am not wanting you spend more than $2500.

Look at Street Or Track, I love my coilovers and will never go back to the old suspension... but if budgeting is priority, look at open tracker, his parts have good reviews and they will act like coil overs but retain the the original look. 

I replaced the front suspension with parts from OTR. I used the street performance 1" lowering front coil springs, upper & lower control arms,  roller idler arm, & roller spring perches. Unfortunately the car is not drive able yet so I can not say how it works, but they get great reviews.

At $2500, you're a little bit low for a complete front suspension AND rack'n pinion. You could buy one kit and do another later.

I have the TCP front suspension, and their Power rack and I'm happy with it.

The Street or Track front coilover come in at just under $2500, and the TCP is just over. My only complaint on the TCP is that the Varishocks haven't been very durable. I guess the Bilsteins in the SoT kit is better. For steering, the TCP rack is the only way to go. It has OEM steering geometry, and is bulletproof. I have the power version ($2392 minus the pump), but I got it over an decade ago. Today I would have bought the manual rack ($1652) and gone for an electrical assisted steering column.

As I always do in these kind of threads, I point out that the single best thing you can do for your car's handling is to install subframe connectors. Especially in a cab. It makes your platform stiffer, so thay your suspension doesn't have to combat chassis flex. It will be isolated to do it's job.

3 hours ago, fvike said:

As I always do in these kind of threads, I point out that the single best thing you can do for your car's handling is to install subframe connectors. Especially in a cab. It makes your platform stiffer, so thay your suspension doesn't have to combat chassis flex. It will be isolated to do it's job.

Who's do you recommend fvike?

I put maier SFC on mine...depends on what you want though. These are tubular and definitely look aftermarket. FWIW, I have the global west coilovers on the front which come with eibach springs, IIRC, and QA1 coilovers. Would recommend to anyone.

55 minutes ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Who's do you recommend fvike?

I have the TCP ones. With the X-brace under the car. It's the only one I have experience with, so I can't say much about other brands.

55 minutes ago, barnett468 said:

coil overs don't work any better than other good shocks.

True story.

But as with many aspects of our cars many folks like myself go for the cool factor. Or what we think is cool.The springs are lighter, and by mounting the shock further outboard there is more leverage on the spring which allows for a softer smaller diameter spring wire. 

On 4/13/2017 at 10:43 AM, fvike said:

I have the TCP ones. With the X-brace under the car. It's the only one I have experience with, so I can't say much about other brands.

I would think that the x-brace is what stiffens-up the car. SFCs without the brace have shown to be ineffective, but I haven't seen a test with the brace. The TCP looks like a nice unit.

18 hours ago, rwcstang said:

Look at Street Or Track, I love my coilovers and will never go back to the old suspension... but if budgeting is priority, look at open tracker, his parts have good reviews and they will act like coil overs but retain the the original look. 

I love my coil over set up as well.  I always recommend anyone call and talk to Shaun. I talked to him multiple times and was considering just a shock and other upgrades, but in many talks with Shaun, I decided on the coil over set up with Bilstein shocks all the way around.  He has has different levels of shocks and I went with the street valving he offers and so far I could not be happier.  With that and the unisteer Power steering, I could not be happier with my set up. 

You do not need a fancy system for what you are using the car for. 

All you are buying is bling is the way it looks to me.

if you use good quality components, lower the upper A arms , sway bar and add eibach variable rate coils you will be in good shape. Way under the $2500 mark

basically i have my car set up similar to the Shelby R model and I have had it on the track at 143mph with no trouble

bob

9 hours ago, RPM said:

True story.

But as with many aspects of our cars many folks like myself go for the cool factor. Or what we think is cool.The springs are lighter, and by mounting the shock further outboard there is more leverage on the spring which allows for a softer smaller diameter spring wire. 

moving a shock out actually reduces the leverage on it . i designed suspension for several years.