RPM

Dash Pad Install Help

When installing a new Ford tooling dash pad from NPD do I need to bend down vertical these silver tabs? This is for the two outer front attaching holes on the front upper corners of the lower dash. Are ya totally cornfused by now? The pad needs a vertical tab in order to mount to the lower dash, and this is the only piece remotely feasible. Or, is there a connector piece maybe between the pad and lower dash? My assembly manual has really small illustrations which doesn't help even with a magnifying glass. Btw, NPD was no help.

post-5441-0-47795000-1478198916.jpg

post-5441-0-90596900-1478199030.jpg

post-5441-0-11556600-1478199085.jpg

No, you have it correct.  That tab mounts directly to the hole you are pointing to with Phillips head screwdriver.  From your first picture it looks like the tab is bent close to 90 deg. from where it's supposed to be.  If it breaks when straightening it, you just purchased an unusable dash pad.  Will NPD exchange it, or are you past their 30 day exchange policy?  I got lucky, I got mine so long ago I purchased it from my local Ford dealer.  It fit without any issues.

NPD is useless regarding any technical help with any product they sell.  They usually don't know any more than what's in their catalog. 

if im not mistaken once you bend it down and get it in place the little plastic covers use the end of the metal tab to secure them into place to give the lower dash the finished look as well.

so you may have to tweak the tab a lil more after you get the pad installed so the little plastic pieces will fit .

Are we having fun yet?

You guys are more patient than I am.  I would have at least called NPD and complained about the bent tabs.  They should replace it and cover any shipping costs for the exchange.  Even you don't want to exchange it, NPD should at least know what is happening.  These tabs might be getting bent simply because how they are packaged.  My OEM Ford dash pad was simply in a box with no special packaging.  But those tabs on it look very thick and won't easily bend compared to the Original Tooling Repro's 

Mine were bent too. It did not fit really well around the instrument cluster, you would have to get down and look up to see the area I speak of and will not be that noticeable but sure am glad I got the perfect fit ford tooling one I sure would hate to see the fit of the other one.

Dave 

Ya, the pad eyebrows over the gauge and clock bezels ain't looking too good just sliding the pad into place. We'll see when it's screwed down. Good thing there's a lot of black going on there. 

Does it not cost just as much to make a crap part as a nice one?

Hey, that's usually my complaint!  I simply don't understand the reproduction market.  All the effort they go thorough to reproduce a part that doesn't quite fit or work and often simply will not fit or work.  I'd say patents will not permit identical copies.  But these parts are so old you'd think the patents have expired.  This is one reason why I settle for used parts if they still fit and function correctly even if they show some age.

I'm starting to wonder if these tabs have been purposely bent flat against the pad for shipping purposes ... so they don't work their way through the packaging & really get damaged in transit.

As some had said, they are easy enough to bend back into position for installation.

Just a thought !!

Doug

I bought a 69 pad from a guy on here, it was new in the box and I had to bend the tabs. Fit like crap. This was from Dashes Direct and the foam on the back was gray, not black. You could see the gray foam in spots after installation. I tried trimming it off, but it just fit awful. Called Dashes Direct and at first they didn't want to help, told me I needed to go thru the supplier I got it from, explained my situation and they reluctantly sent me a new dash. This one had the black foam on the back, had to bend the tabs, and it still fit awful, I've learned to live with it.