Sign in to follow this  
MikeStang

3rd Brake Light

Okay Guys, we all know our tail lights are not that bright, even after an AAW harness install, mine are much better than factory, but not as bright as I would like them to be, plus the car is so low and going lower that I would like to add a 3rd Brake light somehere.

So have any of you done it or have any suggestions as to a good location?

Any pics and part numbers for a good light for our cars?

Sorry; I don't think more/brighter brake lights or signal flares are going to stop that moron from running into you. Brian

Ditto! I absolutely 100% agree. I certainly would not add a third brake light that I could see when the light is not on.

Word of Advice, the LED tail light bulbs usually wont work without the digital flasher and in some cases the ballast resistor also.

We have done 2 AAW wiring harness installs and the LED bulbs actually caused issues when we tried to use them...

Now if Your talking a whole LED turn signal kit that is a different story.

I'm just looking for a 3rd brake light to mount up higher so its MORE visable and kinda In your face when I hit the brakes

LMAO .... Good one.

I have found some LED strips that you can use as a 3rd Brake light that should do nicely

You probably already knew this but you'll need an "AND-ing" circuit as well so that the 3rd light only illuminates when the brake lights are on, not the turn signal.

I had one on my car 25 years ago.  I hung it on the back window with a couple of suction cups.  I only did it because I created a stencil so it would light up "Mach I" when the light went on!  I agree with everyone above.  I wouldn't bother now, one additional light is not going to stop a moron.

I was thinking about the Audi A7/S7 rear brake light. It's really thin.

post-96-0-70421500-1435433513.jpg

post-96-0-47554700-1435433499.jpg

It would of course only work with a Fastback because of the rake of the rear window. My brother has an Audi A7' but I've never gotten around to measure the width. Anyway, it has P/N 4G8945097.

It's for sale on German eBay. http://www.ebay.de/itm/Audi-Original-A7-RS7-Zusatzbremsleuchte-hinten-4G8945097-/151697277857?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item2351dcc3a1

Perfect fvike. The other day I was driving with my son and an Audi A7 was in front of us. I told him about this thread and how I would never install a third brake light. When the A7 hit the brakes I checked out the window width and thin third brake light. I told him that would be the only third brake light I would put on my mach one. My son had a different take on the A7. He asked why would anyone buy the A7 when you could get the lighter A4 with the same motor? I said so you could get the smaller trunk with the A7 :)

Mike Stang, this is your new third brake light!

Yeah. I found an picture on my phone of my brothers A7 (I'm on vacation now, not home). Here you can see how thin the brake light really is. I think it should be possible to mount it tastefully. I'll probably look more into it when I have the rear glass back in my Mustang.

post-96-0-14511000-1435441675.jpg

BTW; The A7 is a lot bigger than the A4. It shares platform with the A6 so interior space is a lot bigger. The A4 shares platform with the A5' which is a small car. Almost no rear legroom at all. 😉

Edit: This is the brake light picture from eBay.

post-96-0-58921300-1435442864.jpg

Thanks prayers1, I remember the thread but couldn't remember who posted it. I found the old thread here but the pics are gone.

http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/topic/50986-3rd-brake-light-in-spoiler/

Fortunately, he posted it over on VMF with pics.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/729890-3rd-brake-light-spoiler.html

Not a fan of the added 3rd brake light butt following the Audi and strip LED comments I was thinking that there might be enough room at the lip of the trunk lid to mount an LED strip.  Out of sight, glowing aura and definite WTF factor.

That's true Tim, that would be neat.

It would really be cool if those Anvil Auto spoilers that attach to the end caps and trunk had a light in them to... Hummm.

Or if one could find a roof mounted low profile unit that looked good on our cars.