Sign in to follow this  
69volunteer

Chase Down a No Spark Issue

I have an engine on a test stand and trying to fire it up for the first time. I have no spark at the plug.

I have checked and have 12v to the coil. I tried plugging a spark plug wire with a plug in it directly to the coil and still no spark.

Bad coil or am I missing something?

I had an Ignitor coil that went bad and replaced it with a Autozone part. Could it be bad too? The ignitor coil was not that old...couple of years and new in the box.

Always check the obvious:

Did you forget to install the rotor?

What ignition? If points, are they gapped correctly?

You checked for spark at the plugs and power to the coil, did you check the spark from the coil itself?

Points are new. I am pretty sure we gapped them correctly but I will double check. I will check the connection at the distrib to coil.

How do I check the condenser or should I just get a new one?

Edited by 69volunteer

It seems you have checked all the obvious possibilities. They have all been mentioned. There is a remote chance the wire from the key switch to the coil is bad. I would put a voltmeter right on the coil wire that goes the ignition harness, and watch the voltage as you are cranking the engine. First measure the voltage on your battery, the voltage on your coil (with the key switch in the run position) should be the same. When you are trying to start the engine, this will drop to maybe 9 volts. If it drops to below 6 volts, that could be the problem.

You can also check your coil with the ohms section on a digital voltmeter. It should be about 50 ohms between the wire connection to the ignition harness and connection to the distributor.

I adjusted the gap on the points. It was a little too much. I grounded a plug and I swear I got a spark but only once.

If I put my positive lead of my multi meter on the + side of the coil, and the negative lead on the - side of the coil, i have nothing. If I ground it to the block, I have 12v. This is when the points are open and closed.

If I ground the lead on the exhaust and positive on the + side of the coil while cranking, it drops to 9v.

Thoughts? Should i just go get a coil, set of points, and condensor and start over?

Edited by 69volunteer

Hmm..... there has to be something else here, are all of your engine ground bolts tight? Have you checked continuity of all wires to rule out high resistance. Could the spark be carbon tracking from the cap down the dist to ground? Is the inside of the cap clean with no moisture and no carbon/contact point dust build up. Are the contact points perfectly square with no corrosion? Do you have a spark tester? Can you install it inline between the ignition coil wire and coil plug on the dist cap? if you have spark there then I would look back into a cap or points issue

Hmm..... there has to be something else here, are all of your engine ground bolts tight? Have you checked continuity of all wires to rule out high resistance. Could the spark be carbon tracking from the cap down the dist to ground? Is the inside of the cap clean with no moisture and no carbon/contact point dust build up. Are the contact points perfectly square with no corrosion? Do you have a spark tester? Can you install it inline between the ignition coil wire and coil plug on the dist cap? if you have spark there then I would look back into a cap or points issue

I am at the limit of what I would know to check. The engine is sitting on a stand so not sure where else to check for ground. Cap is also new with no corrosion. I don't have a spark tester.

I measured and I have 12v at the points.

I am a little suspect of the ground line from the distributor to the negative side of the coil. It has been but jointed but all seems ok. Should I abandon that wire and run a wire from the points to the negative side of the coil to rule this out?

I was going to swing by NAPA and get a new condenser, coil and set of points.

My battery is 13+ volts but it drains pretty quick down to about 12.5 when the starter starts to slow. That's not the issue is it?

Edited by 69volunteer

It's been since high school, 30 yrs. since I messed with points. Is the distributor old? I ask because I remember on a couple of cars having to replace the wire that attaches to the points, passes through the distributor housing, and connects to the negative side of the coil. I think this was referred to as the primary lead wire, its more flexible than standard electrical wire, and used to be available through Napa. The short section inside the distributor will go bad.

Also, have you placed a test light, connected to ground and touching the negative side of the coil, while cranking to see if it blinks on and off indicating the points are triggering the coil? Since you already verified 12V on the + side of the coil, a light on all the time indicates an open in the circuit between the negative side of the coil and the points. A light off all the time indicates a short to ground in the circuit between the negative side of the coil and the points, an open in the primary windings in the coil (bad coil), or a shorted (bad) condenser. Both of these conditions can also be caused by the points not opening and closing correctly, extremely out of adjustment.

Fairly straight forward, when points are closed current passes through the primary windings in the coil and a magnetic field builds around the windings. When points open, the magnetic field collapses, and through Faraday's law of induction, induces an electrical current in the secondary windings that ultimately connect to the spark plugs through the plug wires, dist rotor and cap.

Edited by 1969_Mach1

If you have a new motor you should start with new electrical also . or perhaps you have bought new and have a defective new part. on your test stand do you have a resistance wire to the coil if not and you left the key on the points could be burnt . i have seen coils heat up and fail from this but experts say the resistance wire is for the points not the coil . a separate ceramic ballast resister can be installed . On the one spark you mentioned i would replace the condenser first , also the cheapest component.

Thanks everyone for the help. I bought a new set of points, condenser and coil. Replaced both the points and condenser and got spark at the #1 plug.

Originally, I did NOT have a ballast resistor in line between the coil and very well could have left the key on possibly burning up the points. I have since installed a resistor.

I did not try to get it started since my oil pump primer is in my other tool box and I ran out of time. I am sure I will have more questions as I continue down the path of getting it to fire up.

Thanks again.