Sign in to follow this  
Kingfish

Whats the BEST Steering Wheel?

I've decided not to repair the rim-blow on my 69 Mach. I want an after market steering wheel with it's own horn button.

What Steering Wheels have any of you put on your cars that you really like and are in the $200. - $300. price range? Or even less!

Thanks for any suggestions,

Steve

I used this one from a 1990's Ford truck. It is a bit smaller than the factory wheel, I think 1 inch less diameter. It is a soft feel, and it allows the use of the cruise control pushbuttons. On top of that, they are cheap. You can pick them up for a few bucks at a junkyard or on fleabay. I got this one for about $15. I might even have an extra, if you are interested.

I used this one from a 1990's Ford truck. It is a bit smaller than the factory wheel, I think 1 inch less diameter. It is a soft feel, and it allows the use of the cruise control pushbuttons. On top of that, they are cheap. You can pick them up for a few bucks at a junkyard or on fleabay. I got this one for about $15. I might even have an extra, if you are interested.

That, strangely, doesn't look bad at all. Did you re-wrap the wheel and did it already come with the woodgrain insert? Matches the dash almost perfectly.

Chuck

That looks surprisingly good.

The problems with many aftermarket wheels is that they are too small and the block the view of the gauges.

I like these Grant Shelby replicas:

268-grantanddash_zps1ddd8364.jpg

They look better than stock, and better than the many aftermarket ones that don't look like they belong with the column.

That, strangely, doesn't look bad at all. Did you re-wrap the wheel and did it already come with the woodgrain insert? Matches the dash almost perfectly.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I searched ebay and found that steering wheel in the 78-89 year range. The wood grain wheel seems to be for vehicles that had upgraded interior packages. You can also find the plain Jane black version as well. There's a few on there right now. Just search for Bronco of F series trucks in the year range I listed. B

Thanks, Bruce. At the moment, I am leaning more towards adapting the steering wheel from my 94 GT donor. If that fails, this could be a half descent second option.

I have the Grant wheel that Max Power shows. The wheel itself isn't terrible, but interferes with my driving method. I usually have my left hand either at the 6:00 position or the 10:00 position. Also, there's that damned button that keeps falling off. I simply removed it all together and wired up a pair of buttons in the outer holes. That worked well until the wires inside the column chaffed open and came into constant contact with each other..... Got everyone's attention as I entered the car show parking....

Chuck

The wheel I used in these came from a early 90's van. There were many versions of the it in T-birds, Lincolns, Trucks, and Vans. The wheel I have is not wrapped, it might look like it, but it still has the soft feel. It is not a hard surface, easy to grip. There is no visual obstruction with the gauges.

The diameter where it meets the steering column is exactly correct, and it even has the same black "camera case" finish. It requires the use of your existing horn rings if you are going to use it in a 69, but I think it will work without mod to install in a 70.

[ATTACH]13735[/ATTACH]

Not sure if they are available anymore but I really like my Formuling wheel. Bought it from California Mustang 10+ years ago. The center pad is removable so it's sorta like 2 steering wheels in 1. When the pad is off the spokes are silver and the horn is black.

I really like this one from late 70's early 80's Mustangs and Capris. Its just a little smaller in diameter than stock but the grip is thicker and it feels a lot nicer. They're available in leather and vinyl. You just need to make sure you get one with a horn button as some Ford's had the horn on the turn signal back then!

Leather wheel I refinished.

dscn0284mv.jpg

Vinyl wheel in the car.

dscf0006jz.jpg

I had a grant wheel on my camaro years ago but like most the horn button kept jumping out at me. I bought a Lecarra wheel and love it. I plan on buying a wood grain Lecarra wheel for my classic truck, but for comfort the black leather one can't be beat. I think it was around $200 with all the components.

Here is a link for the wheel from Summit Racing:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lac-43201

I had a grant wheel on my camaro years ago but like most the horn button kept jumping out at me. I bought a Lecarra wheel and love it. I plan on buying a wood grain Lecarra wheel for my classic truck, but for comfort the black leather one can't be beat. I think it was around $200 with all the components.

Here is a link for the wheel from Summit Racing:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lac-43201

Did you need a separate install kit to fit in on the car?

Personally, I like my "Leather Wrapped Rim-Blow".

Why ??

It looks like it belongs in the car, is comfortable on the hands, and the rim-blow works just fine under the leather ... maybe even less sensitive than stock which is a good thing !!

here's pics ...

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/stangs-R-me-Deluxe-GT-Hardtop?page=2

Doug