Sign in to follow this  
ForceFed70

Baby on board

Well, turns out the boys work as designed. Mrs ForceFed and I are expecting! :helpsmilie:

Told the wife this morning that we are bringing the baby home from the hospital in the mustang. I want this car to be a part of our family, and to have the kid(s) own it someday. What better way to do that than to be able to say "we took you home from the hospital in this car" Surprisingly the wife agreed with no hesitation. She's a keeper.

So... this is our 1st child and I don't know the 1st thing about child seats, etc. But I figure I better start looking into this stuff.

Can a car seat be used in a '70 coupe? My daily driver has some "stuff" in the back that I think is for car seats, etc. Is that "stuff" required?

The drive home from the hospital only takes 15min and doesn't involve any highway driving, so I'm not too worried about that. But at the same time, I do want to be able to take the child in the car every now and then (with me driving very safely of course).

Yeah. So, 1st question is can a regular car seat be used safely/legally?

2nd question - Should I be looking into adding the extra brackets, etc that the newer vehicles have?

Thanks!

First of all....CONGRATS!

As long as your Stang has seat belts that work, you can legally strap in your bambino's car seat. Unless the technology of car seats has changed dramatically, you simply buckle them down.

Drive *really* safe.

Hello ForceFed70,

First congratulations man- - that is so cool.

Don't get too nervous about this. Just take it one step at a time.

Enjoy everyday and you are wise to think about thinhgs.

One downer - - around here - - Massachusetts, the baby must be secured in a car seat in order to leave the hospital.

So start looking - - How about some Mustang decals for the side of the baby seat??

Honestly enjoy and congratulations - - Print Dad

Thanks Guys. Yeah, I'm pretty excited but also more than a little nervous. The more I learn about this baby stuff, the more I realize how little I actually know.

For example: Did you know that immediately after birth, the 1st time the mother breast feeds the baby no or very little milk comes out? Instead this "stuff" (sorry, can't remember the name) comes out that is supposed to be full of antibodies and really good for the baby? WHO KNEW! I thought only milk came outa the boobies! They truely are something to marvel at.

All joking asside... thanks for the advice. Sounds like a car seat can be used with a regular lap belt. What are the other brackets that come in newer cars for? Is there anything I can do to make the car safer for an infant? Rides in the mustang will be pretty rare, but I still want to be as safe as reasonably possible. Plus, the wife seems to think that the kid might like the car and we may end up doing late night trips around the block more often than I'd like.

Oh, we also have that thing where they won't release the baby from the hospital until they inspect the carseat. I am a little worried about what they will say when they see the car.

the basic security stuff is always a good point to start.

the march 2010 issue of modified mustangs & fords might give you some input.

instead of a fuell safe tank, you could also install a steel rear seat and trunk divider panel:

http://www.americanpony.com/store.mv?p=802007-09-198-199

http://www.stephanies-mustang.com/divider.htm

the fuel safe is the better choice, but i don't know if it fits your budget.

+1 for the fuel tank "firewall". Seems like a totally sane upgrade no matter who you plan on driving around.

I don't think the hospital folks are going to have any heartburn about your car choice. The modern safety stuff mostly revolves around air bags and those aren't even in play for child restraint seats. (In fact, you're supposed to disable your air bags if an infant is riding in the front).

This is just my opinion, but you could easily drive yourself nuts trying to make your 60's era vehicle as "safe" as a modern car. The fact is, none of us are really safe. We take "acceptable risks" every day. That's all you're doing. Enjoy the hell out of your baby and Mustang. You'll have the coolest infant in town.

Tom

Yeah first off congrats.

Second, you should know that this first car seat for a newborn will only last about the first year or so before they outgrow it but one bridge at a time.

The new fangled hold downs in modern cars is just an extra safe selling feature, pretty much all child car seats come with straps to fasten to that and the proven for years standard seat belt attachment since you need to be able to to put the seat into any car at any time.

My wife and I love the Graco set up we got, granted we got it almost 3 years ago and we got it second hand but it is very simillar to this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00190G590?ie=UTF8&tag=thenewparentsguide-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00190G590

It's car seat, carrying basket and stroller all in one. Let me tell you what I like about it, first off the car seat doesn't have to be strapped down directly to the car (although it can be). It comes with a base that you strap down, then the seat snaps into the base. This is perfect for newborns because everywhere you go you need to pretty much carry them around in a basket, making quick stops and having to strap and unstrap the kid is a pain. This way you leave them in the whole time, you just detach from the base and swing the safty bar up to be the basket handle. You can also buy extra bases, we have one in every car so there is no having to swap around, just pick a car and snap in the chair. It also gets double use of the stroller, the car chair snaps into the stroller seat so the infant is facing you directly as they should at that age. Now that my daughter has grown out of the infant car seat we still use the stroller as a traditonal stroller and she faces forward. The new car seat we unfotunately have to strap and unstrap any time we change cars since it just a seat and not also a basket and she walks or gets carried by hand now but it was great while it lasted.

As for inspection here in NH it was simply a matter of making sure we had a secure seat in the car when we left, not an actual inspection, they just want to make sure we aren't holding her in our arms. They suggested if we had concerns of whether or not it was properly installed to go to the local poilce station and they would do a courtesy safety check.

Bud let me check the attic, I am pretty sure that I have an infant car seat...I got a new one with every kid LOL ...kinda funny, the wife and I had 2 kids and we ended up with 4 car seats LOL....Im pretty sure I have something that will fit your needs if you want it its yours free, just gota pay shipping....I dont buy Junk By the way, so its not going to be some 20 dollar seat....Besides this will give me the oppertunity to clean some shit out of the attic hahaha.

CAr seatc actually have an expiration date on the, this is why good will and other places will not take them.

I think the seat I have is an Eddie Bauer seat with stroller set up, and as mentioned above, most infant seats will be outgrown fast.

Let me look and I will get back to ya.

Mike

Congrats. We are planning on having a second kid soon. One thing for sure, and you will hear it over and over,... time flies. My little girl is 6 and it just seems like yesterday she was born. Spend as much time as you can with them.

I stick a booster seat in the back of my car and take her for rides in the summer. They are simple to use, but you won't need one of those for a while. I didn't have a running Stang at the time she was born so I never tried a real car seat in a classic Stang..Might have to with the new kid..hoping for a boy. I wouldn't take anything for my little girl but another car guy around here would be nice.

So you going to change your name back to "bottlefed"?

And yea, boobies are amazing.

Edited by SlimeGold 69

Congrats from another Canuck....Ive got ya beat on this one.I wish I had the chance to bring my last child home in one of my cars but I never even made it to the hospital.The little bugger wanted out so bad he came out in the seat of my Wayne Gretzky edition f-150.Two lights from the emerge..So I guess I will put this truck away for him.Cant really sell it now.I put two Simpson seats in the back for my 2 girls.I got them from jegs...Enjoy its a life changer....

Edited by 428scj

Thanks again guys!

I already have a bit of a trunk divider setup with the way the stereo equipment, etc is in the trunk. The whole trunk floor has a layer of plywood over top of it, and there is a large subwoofer box that completely fills up the area under the package tray. Probably not as good as the other solutions, but way better than nothing at all. I may see if I can sneak the metal divider in there somehow as well.

Bud let me check the attic, I am pretty sure that I have an infant car seat...I got a new one with every kid LOL

Hey that would be great! Thanks Mike. Shipping to Canada might be costly, but I'm certainly willing to look into it. If you've got a seat in good condition that hasn't expired or anything, that would be great. The wife and I have already made the decision to buy used when possible. The kids grow up so fast that you can find a lot of stuff in "like new" condition for very reasonable prices.

So you going to change your name back to "bottlefed"?

LMAO! Dunno, might be one of those colicy babies and ForceFed may end up being more appropriate. Hope not!

For example: Did you know that immediately after birth, the 1st time the mother breast feeds the baby no or very little milk comes out? Instead this "stuff" (sorry, can't remember the name) comes out that is supposed to be full of antibodies and really good for the baby? WHO KNEW! I thought only milk came outa the boobies! They truely are something to marvel at.

In cattle it's called colostrum.

In my opinion now is a great time to lobby for funds to make the Mustang "safer" for the baby. New interior, paint, anything that will increase horsepower or provide better handling, stereo, wheels, you name it. It would be best to spend the money now before the realities of the upcoming baby expeditures are exposed.

Congrats. Keep the diapers tight and the barf wiped.

I just noticed you're from BC. We are heading up your way in the morning for the Olympics, Whistler actually. Planning to hit the border by 6am, I think all the talk about the border being backed up is BS as I have asked everyone I know and nobody knows of anyone going to the Olympics. I am not sure what to make of it. I suspect it may be a different story coming home. I went out and bought a brand new tuque for the trip, should be fun.

Congrats!! Regarding the car seat, my recommendation is to have a seat setup in each car because unbuckling car seats constantly to move them from one car to another can be a pain. That my be more for the toddler stage as opposed to the infant stage though. I also recommend putting a blanket between the hard plastic seat and your rear seat. I distinctly remember the permanent "indentations" that were left in the black vinyl of my first 69. The car seat stayed strapped in there 24-7 for a couple of years with nothing under it to protect the seat.

Congrats!! Regarding the car seat, my recommendation is to have a seat setup in each car because unbuckling car seats constantly to move them from one car to another can be a pain. That my be more for the toddler stage as opposed to the infant stage though. I also recommend putting a blanket between the hard plastic seat and your rear seat. I distinctly remember the permanent "indentations" that were left in the black vinyl of my first 69. The car seat stayed strapped in there 24-7 for a couple of years with nothing under it to protect the seat.

Thanks!

That's some good advice there. I think rides in the mustang will be pretty rare (like once every couple of weeks in the summer, car is parked during the winter). So I'm not sure if I can justify a second seat, but will keep it in mind. Might be able to find a used seat for cheap.

Will definately put a blanket down tho.

Congrats man! Life-altering to say the least, but you might as well stop reading about parenthood and babies right now! Only the mother knows whats best for the kid, no matter what scientific evidence you might present, so lean back and enjoy the show. :whistling:

I have the 69 HT that both kids have been driving around in since they were small and they still do. The youngest just needs a raised seat base (?) now and the biggest wants to sit in front.

Trunk to cabin "firewall"/divider is a MUST on any vintage Mustang, kids or not. Lap belts are OK for car seats but plan on 3 pt belts once they get too big for the hard plastic seats. For age 3-9ish Recaro makes a cool seat BTW.