machm1970

Windshield installation

I had someone over to install a new windshield in my convertible today, when he got it off the truck it was scratched, so it was a no go. They were going to charge me $300 installed. Now I'm thinking about just doing it myself. I already took the old one out, stripped the frame to bare metal and painted it with catalyzed paint. I have the dash out too. How tough of a job is it? CJ's has my windshield on sale for $150.

Thanks,

Matt

I'm following this topic, as I'm curious as well. Curious, how did the removal go? Was the glass already damaged prior to taking it out? I have good glass but it will be coming out for the resto. I'm hopeful not to damage it in the removal. Looking forward to seeing a glass install on these cars too. I find plenty of videos and instruction for 65-68, but little on our cars.    

Installing the front is the easiest one to do IMHO... I did my first one, then once the new one got a bad crack I had a guy come to the house to do the 2nd one.

Its pretty straight forward actually, but it is a 2 man job.

Go to the glass shop and get 2 tubes of sealer and a can of primer... I don't recall what the name of the sealer was I used but it worked prefect.

The primer will go on the glass, as the new sealers do not like UV and since our cars do not have the little black trim strip around the glass to help prevent UV rays you need to apply some of the primer to basically make the little black strip.

Get a roll of 1/2 wide masking tape and apply it all the way around the perimeter of the inside of the glass as close to the edge as you can. Now put another strip of 1/2" tape butted up next to the first little strip you put around the outside.... Now go back and peel the first strip off. That should leave you with a perfect 1/2" strip of clean glass to put the primer on.

Now brush on the black primer you got from the glass shop...it may take more than 1 coat but not likely, just wanna be sure you got good coverage...once its tacked up pull the tape off and it will leave a nice 1/2" black trim line all the way around the glass...

Let it dry however long the can says.

Now take those tubes of sealer you got and apply a nice bead on the car all the way around the frame ...

I would have the glass shop cut the tips on the sealer for you because they generally cut them so that it makes a nice clean correctly sized bead.

once you got a nice bead all the way around, have your buddy help you put the glass in... just sit it in place starting at the bottom and then lay it back in to the top... Be sure not to forget to install the 2 little "T" shaped pieces at the bottom of the glass that help hold it up...once the glass is set into place, give it a light push to seat it in place, and then you can go around and add a lil sealer at the edges if you feel the need...I put a lil extra and never had a leak...The guy who came to my house didn't use any extra and his hasn't leaked either...

I would then install the stainless to be sure you have a good fit and give you some time to adjust the windshield if you don't...you may end up having to push the glass down a bit if the stainless is sitting 2 high but Mine just went right in.

This may not be the way everyone does it but it worked fine for me

One other piece of advice is make sure all of the interior parts are installed when putting in the glass. I had a new front windshield crack from the pressure of an A-pillar trim piece installed afterwards because the windshield settled in too far inward with the trim not in place.

One other piece of advice is make sure all of the interior parts are installed when putting in the glass. I had a new front windshield crack from the pressure of an A-pillar trim piece installed afterwards because the windshield settled in too far inward with the trim not in place.

Good to know.  Good thing I just finished installing all of the trim.  I wasn't looking forward to taking some back out.

I will be removing my windscreen in May while doing a conversion to right hand drive. It's many years since I've removed one.

Could I have some tips on the best way to go about it. I was going to cut around the sealant with a piece of flat metal although I have heard that wire may be better.

Try some strong plastic guitar string rather than metal.  I'd hate to have the glass fracture due to glass/metal contact.

What I've seen done before is a razor blade cut through the rubber molding on the outside after the trim has been removed; then a person inside pushes on the window while a person outside catches it.  To me, that seems to be a easier way to do things, don't you?