RPM

Additional Wires Thru The Firewall

I'd like a little direction, advice and how and where you guys ran additional wires thru the firewall. I've got two gauges (electrical) and two idiot lights (and one idiot electrician) installed in the center console gauge pod. I'd like to run three or four wires for 1) oil temp, 2) oil pressure idiot light, 3) water temp idiot light, 4) and maybe the transmission fluid temp. I may run the trans temp wire up thru the tranny shifter area if the sensor is installed in the pan.

I think Randy at Midlife ran the new tachometer signal wire thru the stock wire harness grommet on the firewall. Edit: Not the plug connection at the fuse box, but further towards the center in front of the driver. Can additional wires be run thru the stock grommet? And if so, how? I know I can always install a new grommet, but the stock main wire harness grommet is in the ideal location for me.

Thanks guys.

post-5441-0-71825000-1487300357.jpg

Yes Bob you can I did on mine. There is a few spare holes that you can add male and female pins to the connector block at the firewall.. I forget how many but I think I ran 3 extras and seems like there was still some more unused. If your car is all together it might be easier to make your own hole at a convenient place and install some kind of grommet.

Dave

As the President of the Dept of Miscommunication I need to clarify the firewall location. The area where I'd like to pass thru the firewall is at the engine harness grommet hole, in line with the left cylinder head.

post-5441-0-46753200-1487305250.jpg

Wow that is not my attached thumbnail but how convenient I'm just at the point with my car with all the weight on the suspension and about to tighten everything up. 

Dave

Oops, deleted it before I read this post.

I'm looking for ideas on the same gauges for water and oil on my car. I originally wedged the wiring through the big pigtail Grommet but would like to know what other options exist.

That would be my choice, but how did you get the wire thru the rubber? I'd rather not damage the existing wires.

No no, my mistake. So how did you get the wire thru the grommet? I used a 1/16" welding rod as a fish and pushed it thru the grommet, attached the electrical wire to the rod similar to home electrical, but couldn't keep the wire attached as it passed back thru the 48 year old, harder than Chinese arithmetic rubber.

I tried running a wire thru there with a small size Klein fish tape with no luck I tried from both sides inside car and engine compartment it felt like it was going to damage something it was really tight, ended up going thru the fuse block hole. Like to know if you find a way I want to re-route water temp & oil pressure to a GT350 gauge cluster in the old ash tray hole on the console. I might just add another hole for all add on wiring and oil pressure tube with another fuse block before it becomes a bigger mess trying to trace wiring from the PO. 

That would be my choice, but how did you get the wire thru the rubber? I'd rather not damage the existing wires.

Originally I forced the wire the side of the grommet (pushing the grommet to the side which put my wire against a sharp edge of the hole). I was hoping to use a little used hole somewhere and use a grommet. Anyone know how shelbys did it? My one temp gauge is an autometer with a temp sending unit. The other(the oil pressure) was a this hose that went to the oil filter mount.

I think I used a small awl to push my tachometer wire through that grommet. I lubed the wire with some dish soap and stabbed the insulation of the wire with the pointy end of the awl, then pushed them both gently thru the grommet until I could grab the wire from the other side.

It is a tight fit, I only needed the one wire, though.

I found this on Scott Drakes site it's for a 67 pod but should be similar.

UNDER THE HOOD: The oil pressure gauge oil tube will need to be routed through the firewall and out to the oil pressure sender on the engine block. Determine the best route for your application. You may wish to drill a new hole through the firewall. A small grommet is provided. Use care while pulling the oil tube through the firewall so as not to cut it on sharp edges. The tube should never be bent or kinked. If this occurs, the tube should be replaced. We provide a coated woven tube that can be added to the oil tube prior to final installation. This woven tube will help protect the nylon oil tube from being melted from contact with exhaust headers or the engine block and provide protection from sharp edges. The ammeter gauge will require the two 10 gauge wires to be routed out to the starter solenoid and alternator. Choose the best location and route for your application.

HINT: The upper center of the firewall between the export brace mounting holes may have 2 or 3 dimples in the metal from the factory. These provide a good location to drill 2 holes and route the wires. Again, use care while pulling the wires through the holes. Use the grommets provided to protect the wires and seal the firewall.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/skin/frontend/cj-pony/default/images/install-pdf/install_sgp.pdf

On my 2000 Ranger when I ran wiring for my aux lights there is a hole in the door post with a plug in it, I removed the plug & drilled a hole in it & ran the wires through it & then sealed it up with some RTV sealer, the 69 Mustang has a hole like that just below the l/s upper door hinge. Or you could drill a small hole in the firewall where you want to run the wires through & use a small open wire grommet & just seal the remaining opening with RTV to seal out water & air.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Grommet-Gasket-7mmx2mm-Groove/dp/B011HJCY1U/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1487360890&sr=8-11&keywords=wire+rubber+grommet

53216-8-19-16-welded-l-s-door-post-patch

I wanted to run my wires down the left cylinder head of my engine as well.  I originally crammed 2-3 wires through the center of the existing cluster of wires.  Well eventually I couldn't get anymore wires through it... so I drilled a new hole about two inches directly below it.  That hole is the same size as the factory one so I can fit a lot of new wires.  Once on the engine I wrapped all the new wires with the old ones so it looks stock.  Additionally you have some Ford harness supports that you can wire to on the inside so I found this location to be ideal.

david

Dave that's the direction I think will best suit my needs (current needs that is, which will probably/certainly change). With the number of wires I already need to run by using another hole I'll have room for future wires. 

Mucho thanks guys, I do appreciate the ideas and help.  

Yes Mike, but I don't like the idea of having wires run along the inner fender or across the firewall to get to the engine. I think it will be cleaner to come out of the grommet, have a four prong plug like the stock engine harness and continue along the engine.

I routinely run one or two extra lines through the firewall grommet, but I have a technique that I'd like to keep private: trade secret.  It ain't easy to do, though...

Your killing me Smalls!

http://www.thexton.com/wire-insertion-tool-p-44.html  can be gotten for less https://www.amazon.com/Thexton-THE436-Wire-Insertion-tool/dp/B000P9IGCA/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1487385089&sr=1-1&keywords=thexton+436

The handle is hollow,  I have the older red handle one.  Push the tool through the grommet, push the wire through the handle, then remove tool, done

Larry