moodster

Interior Pillar Molding Repair

I repair alot of this kind of stuff with JB Weld.  I'll work a little bit of it into the crack, and set the piece, then if there's room on the backside, I'll build it up a bit.  JB dries quite hard, and can provide some additional structural support.  While you've got it out, put a nice coat of plastic paint on it to make it look new.

Use epoxy and also epoxy on a patch on the back side to add strength. I like to use the aluminum from drink cans.

Pieces missing can be built up with epoxy and the use an exact to scratch in the graining.

Bob

Frickin' genius!  Love the idea of the simple alum patch piece.  Ideas from guys who either have more time than money, or love the originals more, or no one makes a good repro.  Great input.  

I gotta be honest, I'm pretty disappointed in most of the repro stuff out there.  it is usually cheap, and there is usually a reason for that, found sooner, or later.

When you use a patch like the alum can use a paper punch to make holes so the epoxy flows through for added "bite"

You should also use cans made in the USA like the ones Budweiser or Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer come in as they are thicker and better material than the ones Corona or Tsingto use.