Raven R code

~ 1969 Pedal support....roller bearings

FWIW  I just sent my 65 pedal support to Mustang Steve.   I think 40 plus years of regular use is the life span of that part and then the break down begins.  If I had my 69 pedal support out and had the $150 or so to spend I would get it done.  A visual inspection goes a long ways.  If yours look brand new maybe just move on to the next project ?  Picture is of my 65.  Brian 

post-33155-0-90881200-1480261534.jpg

I did that mod when I had the pedal support out. I intended to drive the car a lot so I thought this would be useful.

image_zpsc994b184.jpg

image_zps6a51decb.jpg

image_zpsd45c531d.jpg

image_zps2283aabb.jpg

image_zps3e73b213.jpg

Removing the old bushings with a grinder was not fun. I can't even imagine doing it with the support in the car... After that, it was really easy. Got me rid of a stupid 4 years steady clutch pedal squeak, that I was never able to silence in spite of many WD40 attempts. Now that made my day!

Oh, and you want to spot weld the bearings so that they won't move under foot pressure.

image_zps2b6dc71f.jpg

I love doing this kind of inexpensive hidden upgrades.

G

Since mine was originally an auto trans power disk brake car the bushings were in new condition.  Left them as is.  Installed new nylon bushings.  Clutch works fine.  Borg Warner original replacement clutch for a 390 on my 351W (both 351W and 390 use an 11 inch clutch).  You can push the pedal down with one hand.

I also had a like-new A/T support I used back in the mid 80's that I just put new plastic bushings in, replaced the pedal pivot shaft, and thought I was good for the amount of miles I drive a year.   25 years and under 30k miles and those like new A/T support bushings were cracked and pivot shaft was scored again when I re-did everything in 2011.   Was wondering what all that creaking was when I'd push in the clutch pedal !!  

I went with the Mustang Steve Kit as they are ball bearings and don't need a perfect shaft to ride on like the Scott Drake kit with it's roller bearings does ... one of the best mods I ever did to my '69 !!

Doug