RobotMan

Exhaust System Suggestions

Getting close to taking the car to the muffler shop to put the exhaust system on.  Been told I have a choice between Flowmaster, Magna Flow, or Turbo.  The motor is a 351W with stock manifolds, 4 barrel Holley and not much else special.  My little of bit of research has turned up I like the sound of the Flowmaster. However, thought I would ask the experts if there are any other considerations before making a choice.

Thanks as always for your input,

Rick

This is like asking someone else what your favorite color is.

Having said that, How loud do you want it?

If you want it loud, go with flowmasters. If you want it mellow at idle/cruise, but loud when you step on it, go with dynamax uper turbos.

I personally don't like magnaflow. they are not very clean sounding to me.

X2 on MagnaFlow, never cared for em. That said I like flowmaster's sound as well as Borla. There are tons of sound clips on YouTube and other sites for most mufflers. I currently have some OLD Sonic Turbos (they weren't quiet) on my car and loved em, but they don't make em anymore. So I'm deciding between Flows and Borla's

Edit if on a budget Summit has a decent sounding flowmaster copy as well as a turbo, both on the louder side.

I have magnaflows, and love the hell out of em'. Never had Turbo, but flowmasters I think, are played out. Too much muffler sound, which takes away from the engine. Magnaflow gives u that sound which is very distinct from other exhaust brands. 

Cammed

Not Cammed

its simple . . you heard the flowmasters . . you like the sound of the flowmasters . . buy the flowmasters, but they make 10 different types . . the most obnoxious ones are the single chamber series 10 . . they will be ouder in the cab than some others.

the magnaflows will be one of the quietest in the cab but still loud out the back and they are a straight thru design so you wont loose any hp with them.

Install the muffler that you like the best.

I have Magna flow 2.5" on my mustang and went 13.07 thru the mufflers at 104.00 mph.

I like the sound of the Magnaflows better personally.

Where i live every dodge, ford, chev, nissan and toyota pick up have flow masters. Every 4dr 79 impala, 85 cutlass, pontiac grand prix have flowmasters.

Personally I wanted something that stands out from the crowd and doesn't have the obnoxious flow master drone inside.

Bottom line your car put the mufflers that you like best on YOUR car.

I don't like Slowmasters LOL, Magnaflows sound great and are mellow in the cab, but really scream out back which is where all the sound needs ot be going.

I run Borla Pro XF's on my 408w with X-Pipe and 2.5" all the way out and under the rear and out one side tru dual style and its pretty loud in the car even with all that pipe, but it sounds good.

Just put on some Magnaflow 3" with X-pipe and twin turbos.  On the gas they rip, love the sound.  Idle, is classic Ford (I am running a 262 cam), decel, jury is still out, it sounds kinda like sizzling bacon...  I will do a vid.  Oh, and I had straight side pipes before, just tired of getting gassed out.  I definitely have more power with the new setup.

Currently I use dynomax mufflers, due to there straight flow design for less back pressure with my set up. When I had the old 351c in my car , I loved the sound of the magnaflows with the Sanderson headers. I didn't like the sound with my hooker long tube headers and the magnaflows. The exhaust manifold design has lots to do with the sound as well imo, just something else to keep in mind.

this is an example of borla xr-1 sportsman (40943). probably wouldn't make sense for your application.

i've not heard of Borla Pro XF that Mikestang refers to (i believe he is referencing the XS)

That sounds great, might not work for him but it will for me lol.

My selection is not on your list of options.  I installed Borla ProXS muflers.  The exhaust note is similar to Buckeye Demon's but not as loud.  Borla's quality is top notch.  Flowmaster would be my second choice.  I never liked any of the Magna Flow products.