Sign in to follow this  
Print Dad

PAINT color dilemma - suggestions

Hi All,

I know this is kinda a stupid thread but I would like some ideas.

As some may know - we have owned our 70 Mach for about 36

years. When we bought it - it had been painted black.

Now finally we having the body done over. The car is in real good shape

and only needed a very little metal work.

The guy doing the body is suggesting going back to the original Grabber Green.

When we took the car there - -we had planned on BLack with Burple stripes.

He pointed out a few things that has us thinking

1. - The car would be worth a little more with the original color (not that important)

2. - The car would stand out - there are a lot of Black ones around.

3. - The paint car would be easier to keep looking good - -trust me he is kinda right - out 08 is Black as well and our Z-28 was black/

I know no one can really answer this question BUT I am looking for some thoughts and suggestions.

If is matters the car is numbers matching

At times I think it might be nice to have a different color BUT then I am afraid what if I get sick of the color. Just not sure what to do - but have a few more weeks before we get to the paint stage.

Well - I would appreciate some ideas on what people think may be a way to go with this. In any case - I think the car will look good and all the gaps

and alignment will be great. That alone will help the car look better.

Just can't decide - -

Thanks for thoughts and ideas

Print Dad (Sam)

If you like the Grabber Green than I say yes, otherwise paint it whatever color you want. Grabber colors aren't for everyone and you don't want to spend the next 36 years not liking your car. You know you like black so you can always freshen that up a tad with a black variant color like for example a black cherry or even a black jade.

I say the same thing as Pakrat, if you hate the color and plan on keeping the car forever then paint it what you want. You have to clean and look at it everyday, if it is not the color that every time you walk out in the garage and go damn that looks awesome and is my dream car then that is your answer to me.

With that said I may be slightly biased but please go back to the Grabber color lol. I am not only a sucker for Grabber colors but I am a big fan of putting the car back to the original paint code. I cant believe how many times I get asked if mine is the original paint color and I am happy to say yes. I am not talking about concourse everything I just like to have things in the general area of the codes myself. I feel like I root for the underdog sometimes, if everyone repainted the not so cool colors over the years there would be none left to look at.

Over those 35 years you have owned it the market and the hobby went on a roller coaster. It was only cool to paint it not the original color, then it was either super modified non ford colors, or then concourse colors. Now it is similar to hot rods of the the 30's and 40's you can pretty much have a hybrid of everything if you want.

Avoid the Burple on ANYTHING except maybe a 70s model Impalla with 26" dubs LOL.

Look at the PPG Catalog and pick some colors and I can put them on your car for you to see I just need the PPG numbers for the colors.

I have a preference for Lime Time Green but if you copy me I will find you :P

Printdad,

Look at it like this. You've had a black Mach 1 for 36 years, you just got comfortable with the color. Paint it back to it's original color and it will really be like having a new car all over again. If you aren't a fan of the Grabber Green then options are limitless that can really make the car a head turner. For example you could do a nice deep red/maroon color like the 2015 Mustang Ruby Red, or the Dragon's Blood red color by Ring Brothers with Black Mach1 accents or even gun metal gray Mach 1 accents.

Now is your chance to think outside of the box. Really be unique.

Hello All,

WOW - -I was not certain this thread would even get looked at.

I am very happy to read each and every response.

I just wish I could see a grabber green car and really think if

I like the color. I know for sure it does grab your eye.

This should be so simple - but now the painter has me thinking

I really am at 50/50 on going with green.

Big Secz my friend - thanks for the pictures.

This should not be that hard but it is - honestly.

Let;s face it - we will never sell this car as long as my wife and I

are alive - so this is a decision that is real tough.

At times - I think it may be like having a new cool car to go with the

green - - just not sure if I "love" the color. I am nervous to pick

that and then end up wising I had gone with black.

On the down side for the black - it is a lot of work to keep looking

great and we have had the car in black a long time.

This seems so stupid - - - should not be that hard - - I think we need

to tell painter in a few weeks - so I mull this over.

Guys - -I really do appreciate you all taking the time to offer your thoughts

When I read several - I think paint it back to g green and have a car that

looks like it did when Ford made it.

Pak - I am gonna show my wife a few variants and see what she thinks.

She may say - no - she may juts want a rich deep black but you do bring up

another option

MikeStang - - I hide pretty well - - LOL

Honestly - right at this minute I say - Grabber Green - - but I may change my mind in an hour - -LOL

Should not be so hard

Thanks guys for putting up with this OLD dummy

SAm

I don't think you are over thinking it at all, I know a lot of folks say it is just paint but we aren't talking Maaco here, color is one of the hardest choices for most, it certainly was for me and I still wonder sometimes if I made the right choice, something different always catches your eye and personal taste evolves as well. When I first got my car Gulfstream Aqua was not at the top of my list but everything else was right on the car and the color grew on my really fast. I was not going to paint it back to original Lime Gold and once you get past that bump in the road then there really is no reason to limit yourself to any of the stock colors, the door swings wide open.

Well, do what is best for you, but here is my opinion. I'm more of a purist. On a Mach 1 or a Boss Mustang I would go back to the original color regardless of what it was. If it was a base model coupe or fastback a color change would not bother me. Mine is Meadowlark Yellow, it's nice but not my favorite. The painter was also a purist and I am glad he talked me into using the original color. I also used an Acrylic Enamel paint instead a two stage urethane paint for more authenticity which I am happy about. I'm not a big fan of urethane clear coat finishes on older cars that were originally painted with enamels.

On a Mach 1 or a Boss Mustang I would go back to the original color regardless of what it was. If it was a base model coupe or fastback a color change would not bother me.

What, vert's and GT's don't even make the list? :tongue_smilie:

Sorry Pakrat, my list is small. Well, I guess I will include GT's. I just forgot about them. I mean no offense to anybody, but I've never been a fan of convertibles of any type. Unfortunately, I have a narrow list of Mustangs I really like. Basically, the list consists of 1969 and 1970 Mach 1's and Boss Mustangs.

All oem car I would paint it the original colour. Non matching I would paint another colour. Mine was an ugly gold from factory, was painted red when I got it and I left it red. It's not an easy decision, just paint it the way you want it.

All oem car I would paint it the original colour. Non matching I would paint another colour. Mine was an ugly gold from factory, was painted red when I got it and I left it red. It's not an easy decision, just paint it the way you want it.

one thing to do is go look at a bunch of newer cars in car lots, check the colors in nice weather, dark days etc.

make sure you get what you like, fortunately my 69 GT350 is going stock and i like the gulfstream color.

one thing to do is go look at a bunch of newer cars in car lots, check the colors in nice weather, dark days etc.

make sure you get what you like, fortunately my 69 GT350 is going stock and i like the gulfstream color.

My '69 GT Hardtop has been Calypso Coral for 32 years.

When I bought it in 1981, it was just a beater car with a quikie SILVER paint job on it that no longer had any shine.

Car was originally Lime Gold, and as an 18 year old kid in 1981, it never even crossed my mind to paint it that original color !! There were way too many beaters still running around in this color as it was pretty popular with all the car manufacturers back then.

The current Dupont Centari Acrylic Enamel paint job applied in 1982 is still in presentable shape, but I'm thinking I will go back to the original Lime Gold when I decide to re-paint. Except for some 2005-06 Mustangs, there are not too many cars (newer or classics) painted this color today, so it would be different.

If Ford offered it in 1969 and my car was originally Grabber Green, I'd have no problem going back to that !! It is much more common on restored classic Fords than Lime Gold, but probably less common than BLACK.

As others have said, you've had that same "Black" car for 36 years just as I've had my "Orange" one for 32 ... I think it is time for a change and may as well go back to the nice stock color since it was never that color while in your possession.

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me

My '69 GT Hardtop has been Calypso Coral for 32 years.

When I bought it in 1981, it was just a beater car with a quikie SILVER paint job on it that no longer had any shine.

Car was originally Lime Gold, and as an 18 year old kid in 1981, it never even crossed my mind to paint it that original color !! There were way too many beaters still running around in this color as it was pretty popular with all the car manufacturers back then.

The current Dupont Centari Acrylic Enamel paint job applied in 1982 is still in presentable shape, but I'm thinking I will go back to the original Lime Gold when I decide to re-paint. Except for some 2005-06 Mustangs, there are not too many cars (newer or classics) painted this color today, so it would be different.

If Ford offered it in 1969 and my car was originally Grabber Green, I'd have no problem going back to that !! It is much more common on restored classic Fords than Lime Gold, but probably less common than BLACK.

As others have said, you've had that same "Black" car for 36 years just as I've had my "Orange" one for 32 ... I think it is time for a change and may as well go back to the nice stock color since it was never that color while in your possession.

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me

Hello All,

THANKS - to everyone.

Jmlay, Thanks for the link = - - I see the color and am a little confused.

Some of the pictures shows the color lighter or brighter than swatches

I have looked at.

we are giving serious thought to going the Grabber Green.

Kinda strange but I think the car deserves to look like it was made.

Honestly we are going to see the painter Saturday and talk to him.

I think we will ask him if he can paint a panel or something the

color GG. '

At this point it is about 60/40 in favor of Grabber Green. Funny I had

never given much thought about changing the color. Now it may be nice

to have a little change.

This may be an ODD thread but i really do appreciate people taking the

time to express their thoughts.

Will keep you all posted - Thank You all - -I do listen and consider all

comments

Sam or Jim or Print Dad

Hello All,

THANKS - to everyone.

Jmlay, Thanks for the link = - - I see the color and am a little confused.

Some of the pictures shows the color lighter or brighter than swatches

I have looked at.

we are giving serious thought to going the Grabber Green.

Kinda strange but I think the car deserves to look like it was made.

Honestly we are going to see the painter Saturday and talk to him.

I think we will ask him if he can paint a panel or something the

color GG. '

At this point it is about 60/40 in favor of Grabber Green. Funny I had

never given much thought about changing the color. Now it may be nice

to have a little change.

This may be an ODD thread but i really do appreciate people taking the

time to express their thoughts.

Will keep you all posted - Thank You all - -I do listen and consider all

comments

Sam or Jim or Print Dad

if you don't love grabber green, don't paint it green . . you'll know what you like when you see it.

66 saphire blue

1966_00015_04.jpg

69 - 70 medium blue

339521d1398505778-69-fastback-paint-dilemma-help-opinions-please-108179_front_3-4_web.jpg

68 presidential blue

1968_00037_02.jpg

66 tahoe turquoise

1966_00040_03.jpg

69 - 70 gulf stream aqua

339513d1398505379-69-fastback-paint-dilemma-help-opinions-please-1969_mustang_fastback_gt500_gulfstream_gold_001.jpg

69 - 70 silver jade

339593d1398509472-69-fastback-paint-dilemma-help-opinions-please-tn_full_mach69dsfrt.jpg

grabber green

0t128056.jpg

Edited by barnett468