Sign in to follow this  
kennygunit

Let's See Those Instrument Clusters!

I have the Dakota Digital VHX. They are great!!! Main reason I got them was I wanted a TAC and didn't like the look of an external one mounted somewhere in the car. VHX price compared to stock TAC setup price -- no comparison. The guages look good and were not that hard to hook up. They mount up easily.

Edited by MustangGT

I have the Dakota Digital VHX. They are great!!! Main reason I got them was I wanted a TAC and didn't like the look of an external one mounted somewhere in the car. VHX price compared to stock TAC setup price -- no comparison. The guages look good and were not that hard to hook up. They mount up easily.

How is the illumination at night? Is it overbearing or ok?

I've got the factory Tach Cluster, but I swapped out the TEMP Gauge for a std. cluster ALT Gauge and put Autometer OIL & TEMP gauges in a Shelby style Pod at the front of the console. Also have a Autometer VOLT gauge mounted below the speedo (using longer screw in the lower cluster mounting hole, so no butchering) in an Autometer pod.

In order to use the factory ALT Gauge, my underhood & alt harnesses are for a non-tach car (which is exactly how Cougar XR7's are wired), and stole the 2 ALT wires out of a non-Tach dash harness to run between cluster & ALT Gauge. One side of the ALT goes through the printed circuit board, but the other is direct wired.

Doug

The VHX is good at night as well. You can set the brightness of both the day and night. The way the system knows it is night is by the headlight switch. They do sell a separate dimmer switch but I didn't think the $$ was worth it.

I have the original tach gauge set with autometer temp and pressure in the console pod. My OEM tach has VDO internals. I really think the black face VHX are great looking and affordable. Its nice to get all the gauges in the original dash. http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p25/Alan_MacDougall/Mach1/dash3-14_zps768a75c4.jpg

If this came in the original wood grain I would consider this in mine, but the carbon fiber would look so out of place. Nice piece for sure.

Looking at their website it looked like that was an option, but I would like to see one in woodgrain as well, as that is the same for me.

I installed the new vintage 69 series and don't regret it. It looks so original and clean that you have to point it out to people / judges at car shows and cruise ins. Everybody that sees them are impressed. I have one buddy that likes them so well that he is wondering if he can get something similar for his 69 GTO Judge.

I installed the new vintage 69 series and don't regret it. It looks so original and clean that you have to point it out to people / judges at car shows and cruise ins. Everybody that sees them are impressed. I have one buddy that likes them so well that he is wondering if he can get something similar for his 69 GTO Judge.

Where they much hassle to install ??

Are these the backlight series? Please tell us more. How about the hookup, fuel and E speedo? They look awesome. Pictures day and night would be great to see.

These are the gauges I was thinking of getting, what do you think of them??

i really like the look of them, they go really well with the style of our cars. i think some of the other gauges stand out and don't provide a stream line look in the interior.

Now that is a to each their own type of a thing, no offense to anyone else selection of instrument clusters.

Check out speedhut too. You can customize to your liking and they can look pretty similiar to originals if you build them that way. Also includes the option for brights and blinkers on the speedo to clean up the install with an original style cluster.