Raven R code

Pertronix ignition and the 428CJ

I went with the bare bones, entry level, no frills basic model # 1281. Removed the points and condenser from the OE dizzy in July of 09 and installed the Pertronix unit. Did not add or change anything else. Running stock coil , wiring and tach. Brian

I just installed the Ignitor-II Ignition and Flamethrower-II Coil. I also went with the Flame-Thrower MAGx2 8mm Universal Wire Set. Runs tons better than stock and no more unburnt fuel smell in the exhaust.

I went with the Ignitor-II system because it has the adaptive dwell and wasn't much more than the Ignitor-I

Been running a Pertronix in my M-code 351C now for 10 years with ZERO problems. The only issue is for folks who stick with a stock coil. The Pertronix is a much hotter spark and will eventually burnout a stock type coil. :smile:

I just installed the Pertronix coild and Ignitor on my 250 6 cylinder. Don't laugh!!!

Anyway, after I installed it the car starts much better but I noticed black liquid spraying from the exhaust. Any ideas a s to why this is now happening, is it because it is running better or do I need to adjust something.

Thanks.

I've got the ignitorII and flamethrower II coil too.

Just remember to wire up 12V directly to the module! (skip the pink resistor wire!)

Flanders, I bought the same pieces that you mention. My engine rebuilder installed them. We have yet to try to fire the motor. That is going to happen this coming Wed. Where did you pick up the 12v. feed for the module? Thanks. Dave R.

Flanders, I bought the same pieces that you mention. My engine rebuilder installed them. We have yet to try to fire the motor. That is going to happen this coming Wed. Where did you pick up the 12v. feed for the module? Thanks. Dave R.

In my 351W, I replaced the 'pink resistance wire' from behind my ignition switch (it goes from there to the connector on the engine-side of the firewall) with a regular wire. Now I've got 12V to the coil and power wire for the pertronix.

When it was first installed, I had just the stock wiring. I found the pertronix worked great when it was 'cold' (ie. the resistance wire has no resistance) and the car would start no problem. Once everything warmed up, there was now resistance on that wire and the pertronix was not getting a full 12V and would 'miss' now and then. When the car was turned off, it wouldn't start until it had all completely cooled off again.

I believe the instructions for the ignitor 2 and 3 (and coils) are pretty specific with getting 12V, and not using the resistance wire.

Flanders, thanks to you Sir. I will check to see if my engine builder and my restoration guy have had a communication about that. Did you just leave the pink wire in place in case it was needed in the future? Sorry about the delay in my reply. I was in Bristol for the NASCAR races. Dave R.

I put an MSD dizzy and MSD box in the Mach1.

I know a lot of people on the C2 vette forum that use Petronix II and their biggest grip is the Flamethrower coil, to the point many carry a spare coil with them. I have yet to install one on my 65 vette but probably will but use a different coil. To that point - I'm helping a friend restore a 65 Mustang convertible and went with the PII but used an MSD coil...

We fired the beast for the first time today. After filling the fuel bowls from a squirt bottle and with the oil filter filled it fired right up. The info about the Pertronix pieces seems to be dead on. Dave.

woo-hoo! Glad to hear it's alive :) I left the pink resistance wire behind the dash, unconnected. It's not hurting anything, and at least it's there should the next care-taker of my car ever want to use it again. I've had no problems with my flamethrowerII coil either. To the untrained eye, it looks original so I can't complain!

Hope you had fun at Bristol! I was at my first NASCAR race two years ago in Atlanta, and am headed to my 2nd one in Talledega in October :)

You can run the Petronix one with everything stock, but it recommends 12 volts.  The two and three models say must be 12 volts.  Make sure you turn the key completely off when not doing stuff to the car.  I left my key in the on position overnight after working on replacing interior lights, and it fried a Petronix 2.

Ordering Pertronix for my 428cj. Part number 91281 with coil 45011(0.6 ohms) . Any new comments on this setup? Or should I step it up to flamethrower II?

Just keep in mind that you are probably stressing the ignition switch when you use a lower ohm coil. A stock coil is 3.0 ohms and a stock circuit with the resistor wire at idle (550rpm) will pull 3.96 amps but that will go down as rpms increase to 0.80 amps at 5800 rpm.

A 0.6 ohm coil will pull 13.88 amps at idle without the resistor and go down to 1.89 amps at 5800rpm. Since Ford doesn't share their design data with us we can't know what the ignition switch is really rated for.

As a comparison a 0.32 ohm coil will pull a whopping 30.10 amps at idle and go down to 4.48 at 5800rpm

If you decide to use a relay to turn it on and off, use two poles in series (a double pole relay) so if one shorts the other will still function and you can turn it off.