michael2938

69 Sportsroof Restoration

It's been awhile since I posted an update.  Unfortunately we were hoping to have the car done by this point, but we are still another month or two away. 

A few weeks ago we did get the car running for the first time:

Great feeling eh?

Finally got the instrument cluster working (studs on the gauges were grounding out by touching the housing).  The rear interior of the car is done, console, carpet, sill plates, majority of the dash is done except the radio and fixing the light switch again (those pot metal retainers that screw in the middle are crap).

520CC61B-2A6B-4301-8DD6-57A8D00964A1_zps

491E6907-6897-4124-A106-3B852FFB2D31_zps

929F219E-98F5-45F5-93A0-72895D52E199_zps

0CF940AC-DF71-402F-B91A-B2F7E58F9662_zps6B4B2459-3D68-427B-B39F-F8C724A87E39_zps

Well I finally finished up the restoration of the steering wheel.  It's not perfect, but I think I'll be happy with it given the condition it started in. 

IMG_1968_zpsjfie2yo1.jpg

IMG_1958_zpsuvnrxbgz.jpg

IMG_1965_zps0slvuuk1.jpg

IMG_1962_zpsglla92us.jpg

steeringwheel-before_zps3dddd063.jpg

1BFC5B5D-726A-429B-8553-41A6B30937FA_zps

D7F53F68-428A-4E59-840A-4CC954671B15_zps

3A37C172-ADD2-4A4B-B790-A10D31516315_zps

602207FC-A131-4566-9F24-C309D03A3E2D_zps

-Mike

Not perfect?  It looks amazing to me.  I just tried to replace a horn switch and that didn't go so well.  Seeing this wheel puts me in awe.  I was happy to get a new Pad and clean up the center insert.  Luckily I don't have bad cracks.  Anyway yours looks great!

Not perfect?  It looks amazing to me.  I just tried to replace a horn switch and that didn't go so well.  Seeing this wheel puts me in awe.  I was happy to get a new Pad and clean up the center insert.  Luckily I don't have bad cracks.  Anyway yours looks great!

Thanks.  There are some spots on the underside that I have to go back and touch up with black paint from scratching it and wet sanding the clear too much.  I think the "wood grain" look is probably darker than it is supposed to be, but it was the closest I could get without it looking like some chocolate bar. 

I ended up buying a second switch after trying to get the first one in.  I ended up breaking the first one in the process of trying to fit it in there.  The wheel was just so warped and that groove for it was very messed up.  After the first switch, I ended up using a dremel tool to widen the whole thing again and cut a bigger groove along the top and bottom sides.  The second switch went in very smoothly after that.  I still need to test it though... they seem so fragile I don't know how they would even continue to work after pressing the horn during normal use.

-Mike

they seem so fragile I don't know how they would even continue to work after pressing the horn during normal use.

-Mike

Case of road rage like me?

Steering wheel looks good man. I just bought a fairly decent used one and will begin working on it if I can ever finish up all the other loose ends I have going. 

We spent 3 days non stop over the weekend (and Friday) getting a lot of work done -- interior is finished up, fenders, wheels, export brace, headlight buckets, grille assembly, front spoiler and other misc stuff is done.  Started to fit the hood on the car and it's close, but now need to figure out why the shaker is too high and hitting the hood.

054BE773-D55E-42D5-B324-F382A2BA9430_zps

BD1234B3-696A-407D-A44E-97094F252A68_zps

378FE6CD-AAA2-4C20-8A86-F10E45964452_zps

33F66116-7418-4FB4-8CF1-C837A3ABBB2C_zps

DA9E5678-7FBF-47B3-8BCA-745C1705F8EE_zps

-Mike

It is amazing how many Gulfstream Aqua '69 Fastbacks are out there these days. This is such a popular color! Mine also is Gulfstream Aqua. It originally had a black interior also, but I just had to switch it out for a white one. Icy!

There are three '69 Mach I's in this city. They are all the same color. The other two have black interiors. They are all 351w cars.

Started to fit the hood on the car and it's close, but now need to figure out why the shaker is too high and hitting the hood.

If you used an aftermarket intake manifold it may have raised the carb. You may have to eliminate the carb spacer and use the vacuum ports on the carb. 

It is amazing how many Gulfstream Aqua '69 Fastbacks are out there these days. This is such a popular color! Mine also is Gulfstream Aqua. It originally had a black interior also, but I just had to switch it out for a white one. Icy!

There are three '69 Mach I's in this city. They are all the same color. The other two have black interiors. They are all 351w cars.

Over the course of 3 years or so, I had been going to car shows looking for a gulfstream aqua '69 Mach 1.  I never found one to see in person.  It took me a long time to make a decision on the color, but I finally chose it even without seeing it in person.  The other choice was Silver Jade and it took a long time for me to find one of those in person to see.  Around me it seems the most popular color is red, assuming I can find a '69 sportsroof of any kind at all anyway.

Its a great color and I can see why many people might choose it.

-Mike

If you used an aftermarket intake manifold it may have raised the carb. You may have to eliminate the carb spacer and use the vacuum ports on the carb. 

I have a holley 600cfm carb and a edelbrock performer intake manifold on there.  I didn't think either of those would cause this much of a difference though.  There is no carb spacer on there.

I worry that I still have something wrong with the engine mounts.  We ended up raising the engine an inch or so because the fan was hitting the cooling lines in the radiator.  It's an original '69 block with the correct fan blade, shroud, radiator mounts and radiator and in order for that to fit correctly I don't see how the engine could possibly go any lower. 

-Mike

I ended up making some Ron Morris adjustable motor mount knock offs based on Buening's pdf dawing. I solved my height problem, but caused another. The engine crossmember interfered with the oil pan and would't allow the engine to be lowered enough. So I made a different crossmember. An option would be to mill the carb pad on the intake. As they say in Vegas, good luck!

That looks good. I like how it turned out. What engine is that? I just have a stock 69 351w with only a few minor upgrades like headers, intake, and carb. I am trying to decide what decal to put on the shaker. I bought some 351 decals like you would normally see on a hood scoop. Just not sure how it's going to look yet. They look better with cobrajet script I think.

Car is almost complete. Slats, spoiler, and stripes are on. Unfortunately after these pictures we decided to redo the black on the hood... Just can't get happy with it. And the carburetor kept flooding really bad so it's getting exchanged.

42B6ACDF-D61C-4A7E-BD5F-C49ECC4DFAC5_zps

5411057B-9788-4700-98A1-89504F2F6FF0_zps

EB059793-5AB4-4B91-956F-62D3D2DF03EA_zps

1E0EF41D-8F79-4E14-B96D-46B6C221F4AB_zps

Amazing man, nicely done. I've done all the mechanical work to mine, hoping to get the electrical harness removed/replaced this coming winter. Then once the car runs like I want for good, tear it down and paint it up. Nice to see one going together as well as yours is.

Thanks guys. The car is back on the road and home so the restoration/build is officially done. Of course after driving it some I now have some problems to sort out: brake lights may only be coming on when I brake hard, speedometer stopped working, a squeal/rubbing sound only when turning right. Pretty sure all of those I can easily fix though. Oh and I need to get my shaker down another inch.... Not sure how I will do that yet. Of course I'm sure as time goes on there will always be something to do on it.

Buckeye, if you are still taking your car to local shows then I am sure our paths will cross again soon enough. I have been to two already this year but both were in Indiana... Shelby Spring Fling in Nashville, In and Riverfront Run in Madison.

-Mike