Guillaume69

1969 GT Sportsroof

99% complete here...

I was finally able to get my wiper system functional and looking good. My issues were coming from the wiper motor. I ordered a new one, and when I received it, man was I disappointed... That thing looks cheap and nasty, and the wires don't even remotely look like stock. Even the plug is different and a cheap replacement for the main harness plug is provided.

Well, after getting a nicely refurbished underdash harness from Midlife, there was no way I was going to alter it. So I decided to open the stock motor, found some damage in the gear and pinions. I replaced those with new parts from the new motor, which became a spare parts "donor".

After that, everything went fine!

image_zps9ed88122.jpg

Three tooth missing. Go figure...

image_zps155b5ac1.jpg

image_zpsf17edc3e.jpg

Nice spare parts!

Edited by Guillaume69

Tomorrow, I take her to a nice shop here in Pensacola where they are going to dyno tune the carb. I believe the engine is still running a little rich and the gas mileage is a little lower than what I expected.

Edited by Guillaume69

So, due to starting issues on Tuesday morning (found a loose wire at ignition switch plug), I missed my appointment and had to reschedule the carb tune up to tomorrow afternoon. More to follow on this!

Today, went for a "high speed" test ride on I-10, had a great time, cruising at 80 and "pushing" gently to 110 a couple times. Drives straight as an arrow, and engine loved that little session. It has 400 miles now, so I still consider it in "break-in" phase, but really can't wait to floor the pedal down and see what kind of power it has.

Ended up in Mustang Village, for those who know Bob McNeal and his wife, and had to take more pics, as this place has an incredible mustang aura to it. Definitely worth a detour if you drive down the area for your vacation.

image_zps60b773df.jpg

image_zpsc449cb07.jpg

image_zpsa775fd67.jpg

image_zps21dea923.jpg

image_zpse7215e04.jpg

Beautiful job. The car looks better than brand new. Cool pictures of the cars at the village.

Not many places like that left anymore. Old cars are fast disappearing everywhere. Time passes and it seems to faster as one advances in years.

I hope the Mustang keeps a big smile plastered on your face like mine does for me when I drive it.

Have a great day!

Where are you at? I've only been to Mustang Village once but it was to late and the had already shut the gate. I was going to see if they had a good passenger side front outer rocker metal up to the pillar. Mine has some damage and was bent up and in. Let me know if you plan on going to any of these shows around here. I would love to see the car and talk with you about it.

Josh

Zippo, you are right. These places disappear slowly. There used to be one in Switzerland, believe it or not. A massive 50s through 70s American cars grave yard. A beautiful place that you could walk into. They shut it down a couple years ago due to some kind of environmental concern...

Hey Josh, I'm in Gulf Breeze but work at Hurlburt Field, not far from FWB. Mustang Village is opened Mon to Fri, and they close early but stay opened at lunch time. They're only two in there and Bob, the owner, turned 80 last year., so he has to take it easy. They do have a ton of parts already taken out of the cars and racked and stacked in the barn. This in itself is worth a look!

Could be cool to cruise there together sometime. The club over at Pensacola is called GCRMC (Gulf Coast Regional Mustang Club). You'll find us on FaceBook. We were at the Blue Wahoos last home game with 16 cars last Tuesday evening. And got to run a parade lap on the outside of the Baseball field. Pretty cool, even though the stadium was half empty...

image_zps9aa07759.jpg

image_zps9c865306.jpg

image_zps885c463a.jpg

image_zps31aa4c1e.jpg

image_zps4d52cc1b.jpg

image_zpsce6c1c9f.jpg

Edited by Guillaume69

Zippo, you are right. These places disappear slowly. There used to be one in Switzerland, believe it or not. A massive 50s through 70s American cars grave yard. A beautiful place that you could walk into. They shut it down a couple years ago due to some kind of environmental concern...

image_zps9aa07759.jpg

image_zps9c865306.jpg

image_zps885c463a.jpg

image_zps31aa4c1e.jpg

image_zps4d52cc1b.jpg

image_zpsce6c1c9f.jpg

You car looks really nice out there with the others. The Boss 302 almost looks like a grabber schemed car at first glance. No external frills like shaker, sports slats and rear wing. Color looks vaguely familiar. They are cool the G code cars.

The thing I like is people do a double take on mine and always say how come you did not put the Mach 1 moldings back on? I smile and say because it is not a Mach 1. It baffles many.

I recall one Boss 302 when I lived in the Philippines in the early 80's a Philippine Air Force Officer that was attached to the then U.S.A.F Base Clark Field had a Boss 302 and I tried to buy that car to no avail. I wonder what ever happened to it.

Anyway thanks for the share looked like a fun outing.

Went on my first "road trip" this week-end. Had a bachelor party in Biloxi (MS) and decided that the 150 miles drive one way would be a perfect test for the car. Drove there and back with no issues whatsoever. Riding at 80 mph on I-10 was an absolute blast! Averaged 15 mpg at that speed which is not bad, IMO. The car rides straight and solid. She is calling me for longer rides... I'll have to see that in the future. Car now has a little over 1000 miles.

image_zps28d9dbf5.jpg

image_zps0e06e001.jpg

image_zps979c9b5e.jpg

image_zps209075aa.jpg

image_zpsffb350fe.jpg

Yeah, as I hoped, the more I drive it, the better it rides. And that is one precious feeling after all this work. I still have a dozen little things I need to get back to, to make it almost flawless, but right now, I am taking a pause and I drive it instead. May be a road trip or two before we sail back to France. We'll see.

G

I still have a dozen little things I need to get back to, to make it almost flawless,

G

You're going to have to start wearing gloves when you drive it to make it any less flawless!

Great work. I have been following your build for a while and am very impressed with your car.

Forget the gloves just enjoy it!