Guillaume69

1969 GT Sportsroof

Some progress today. A couple steps forward as far as the interior is concerned: second door done and proper shifter boot nicely installed. Did the fender splash shields as well. I am almost done in there.

image_zps4b5403f9.jpg

image_zps42b206f1.jpg

image_zps29dd451d.jpg

image_zps34f0b64d.jpg

image_zpsce2c14bb.jpg

image_zps64a39311.jpg

image_zps1502f0e6.jpg

image_zpsd7a8c0b5.jpg

Edited by Guillaume69

On the downside, I will have to change the head studs. They are 3/8", but the threaded part is smaller (5/16"?). Therefore, the rocker bolts don't fit. So I'm in for removing the heads, and have the studs replaced. I'll also go for screwed-in studs, which will be a lot more reliable.

Edit: Done today. Heads are on their way to the shop.

image_zps00668a24.jpg

image_zps780a58c7.jpg

image_zps5d285105.jpg

I have made good progress with my seat belts. Sourced all the missing bits (new retractors, rear harnesses, etc.) and refurbished it all. Loads of elbow grease for a fair result. I am happy to say I followed the advice and experience shared on this forum. Thanks!

image_zps3d3fb519.jpg

image_zps64eaeae5.jpg

image_zps42492752.jpg

image_zps395091e4.jpg

image_zpsd3bd4773.jpg

image_zpsb300ec56.jpg

image_zps1c948e0e.jpg

image_zpsb318446e.jpg

image_zps274beaab.jpg

image_zpsa651e7ff.jpg

Edited by Guillaume69

All I have left to do is replace the female buckles on the retractors by factory ones, as the new ones are about 1/16' thicker than stock and therefore, won't go in my original female buckles. With that, I'll be done.

*Edit: that´s done. It is now fully functional and looks nice. Great improvement those retractors!

Unbelievable how a refreshed set of seat belt harnesses can improve your interior.

image_zps07f0f12c.jpg

image_zps8e5cd7a4.jpg

image_zps3b8bdeaa.jpg

image_zps08509961.jpg

image_zps5a7e020a.jpg

image_zps28ffc6cb.jpg

Edited by Guillaume69

Thanks Flanders! I agree, it was well worth following some of the advice I got here.

Now, got my heads back. Looking good and solid! Last thing remaining is measuring to get the right pushrods. With that, we'll be done. Putting everything back together, torquing heads and intake, and START!

image_zpsc6e32b05.jpg

image_zpsaa75a49d.jpg

Some progress in the interior. I think I am pretty much done in there.

Interestingly enough, while in Charlotte for the 50th, I found out about a trim piece that goes on top of the rear seat, where it attaches to the package tray, for those 69-70 non fold-down rear seat sportsroofs. Had never seen it or heard about it. I was not able to find a new one (no repros?) but sourced a nice original one. It came to me in Florida all the way from Washington State! Blasted, painted it, and put it in the car. It fits perfectly, and really adds to the overall look and finish.

image_zps52ecb348.jpg

image_zps8183f7e5.jpg

image_zps86706bcf.jpg

image_zps2e5ec18b.jpg

image_zps738c1efe.jpg

Hello. I hope you all had a wonderful Independance Day week-end!

I certainly did as I got my engine started!! I finally put everything back together, heads, pushrods (Trickflow Chromoly 5/16 x 7'750), rocker arms (Scorpions 1.6), intake (Weiand Stealth) and carb (600 cfm Edel Performer). Man, that engine sounds awesome and I already love that set up! The camshaft is just brilliant. It's referenced as # 221275-10 on this web page (check the "retro-fit hydraulic roller camshafts tab): http://www.howardscams.com/ford-v8/ford-v8-351w-1969-1995

Still need to align her, re-bleed the brakes (spongy brake pedal) and most of all, go back behind the dash, as I have a plethora of electric bugs... I suspect it all ties down to the new instrument cluster printed circuit, which is probably grounded. Some obvious signs:

No gauges at all, no instrument lights, etc. Additionally, courtesy lights flicker, like a cut every 5 seconds or so. It happens when engine is off, and when engine runs, well, I lose a cylinder every time those courtesy lights flicker. So that electrical bug also affects the ignition...

So next step is to troubleshoot the under dash wiring / instrument cluster, hoping I'll be able to handle by myself.

Edited by Guillaume69

And a couple videos. The crappy sound from my iPhone does not make it justice at all!

First start:

(note: as opposed to what my friend says, it was not the firing order that was wrong, but rather an ignition issue, as previously mentioned).

Just before the first test drive:

Edited by Guillaume69

What an amazing build!

Everyhing from top to bottom from front to rear all rebuilt,restored, and with such perfection.

Once you get the electrical sorted out the road will be so worth it. Better than new.

Thanks Zippo!

I just sent a PM to Randy, from Midlife Harness Restorations, to see if he can help me to refurbish my under dash harness, which probably is one of my issues. I guess that would have been a clever thing to do when I had it out. Thought I had it right...

Front end is now sharp and square! Greased, tightened, cotter pins all around, and aligned. Wheel rebalanced and the car feels on rails again, like it used to. Everything still looks brand new under that car, I love it!

My brake issue was not due to air in the lines (personal success here!) but rear drums not adjusted properly, leading to a "low" brake pedal.

image_zps18d11a4b.jpg

image_zps3810c594.jpg

image_zps1448efd9.jpg

I also started what I hope will solve my remaining electrical bugs: got the under dash wiring harness out again, boxed it, and wrote Midlife on the box!

image_zps394b5629.jpg

While I was at it, I found out that the passenger door latch mechanism was not working properly. So I will also be checking this. The Never Ending Story...

That's right. In fact, the original design is really poor. That braket basically gets pulled when you try to tighten the valance and then, it never fits correctly. So we got a little creative. Only issue is that I got the idea after the valance was undercoated and painted. So had to get it repainted...

image_zpsd8d31587.jpg

image_zps242ea638.jpg

Edited by Guillaume69