Guillaume69

1969 GT Sportsroof

Neat - looks a lot tidier with that over large gap removed. After all your hard work it's amazing how a 'few' minutes with a grinder and welder can make such a change to the way the car looks.

Thanks! It's also a great pleasure to share. I got so much info on this forum that I could not thank the members enough. Helped me along the way for sure!

Speaking about which, today, I changed my stock tie-rod sleeves for new pro forged ones, purchased from a member here. These look good, feel good, and after a new alignment this morning, I have the feeling that my car never rode this nice, in a perfect straight line. I was actually able, between to sets of traffic lights 200 yards apart, to switch 2nd, 3rd and 4th, then brake to a complete stop, without touching the steering wheel. I swear this is true! Lol!!

image_zpsczbc7bvg.jpg

image_zpssc8qogrd.jpg

image_zpsrj2qazl0.jpg

image_zps2zyyyubu.jpg

Now, I believe the car is ready for a great adventure, that I plan to launch myself into this spring. More to follow!

G

Very nice, cool pics. If the DMV doesn't allow the use of the original plate, I'd use it anyway. Keep the legal one in your trunk in case some harda$$ stops you. Tell them you switched it for a car show and forgot to change it back. it's not like you're bad guy robbing banks.

Oh I was, until yesterday... Monday 23 March. A day that will be remembered as a "Day of Infamy", as far as I am concerned.

On the way to work, as I was waiting at a traffic light on US 98, a guy rear-ended me at 30 mph with his big, fat Dodge fuck*n Ram. Car got literally catapulted forward, and I was able to avoid hitting the car in front on me by less than an inch, having the reflex to turn my wheel shortly before the impact. Yeah, I did hear the agonizing sound of his tires about 1 second before he hit me... What the heck was he doing in there?! Not paying attention to the road, that's for sure. Also got a good old head whiplash, which kinda made my neck hurt for a couple hours, but no big deal.

The back of the car is completely smashed. Everything moved half an inch forward. Rear frame rails are bent, QPanels both dead, driver side Qpanel extension destroyed (yes original metal one...) rear valance, rear bumper, trunk lid, trunk frame, tail panel... A slaughter! The fuel tank is intact and amazingly, all my lights, exhaust, rear end as well. So I was able to drive the car back home as if nothing had happened.

Now, he was insured and his insurance is covering 100%. I will meet the adjuster tomorrow, at the shop where all the body work was done for the restoration. I am extremely anxious, as they might total the car. I've had this GT for 20 years now, all numbers matching, and I just can't let go of it like this, just because of stupid insurance regulations. I spent too many hours working on this car to get this done to it.

I keep my fingers crossed, but I am feeling very depressed right now. The truth is the whole family is.

image_zpsvca0esl4.jpg

image_zpsgjkxiawy.jpg

image_zps5tjrhjpq.jpg

image_zpsbyphgu4y.jpg

Oh ****...

Be careful with the whiplash, a 30mph rear ender is not an insignificant force even if you had a moment to brace.

Here in the UK it's up to the other driver to put you back to the pre accident condition; it's not up to them (or their insurer) to decide your property isn't worth them fixing. I hope that's similar for you.

oh man, this is just sickening to read.  I had been following your updates for awhile and really enjoyed seeing your pictures of your car out on the road.  That really sucks.  Hopefully you can get things worked out with insurance to get it fixed up right.

Curious, what did the other guy say to you?  I'm hoping he feels bad that his screw-up damaged such a nice car.

-Mike

Thanks for the kind words ya'll.

Working with the insurance right now. I am literally holding my breath at this point. Headed to the frame shop tomorrow or the day after. I was able to produce some decent figures that might help save the car...

image_zps9nvzcojv.jpg

As far as my neck goes, I had it checked at the ER just after the accident. All is fine, and that gave me the good old shot of "Motrin on steroids" in the butt. No other concern so far.

The other guys is an O-5 in the Air Force, just like me, so we were able to handle this like gentlemen. Didn't even need to call the cops. He is with USAA, and so far, they are taking great care of me.

I just don't want to lose this car...

Even if they total it, can't you buy it as salvage and repair it?  It is a bugger on the value to have a salvage title linked to it, but at least you have it, and with some paperwork (at least here in Colorado) you can convert it to a regular title after the repair.

It would have to be a lot worse than that for it not to be saveable ,if the insurance gives you any trouble show them one of

Rusty 428s rebuild threads .Your in Florida ,that is just who i would call.

Sorry to hear about it ,that is what i fear will happen to one of mine .After spending all that money ,and it isn't even the money it is the time and pleasure that went into building it then have them total it would kill me .Good luck man

Yeah Ridge, that's exactly how I feel. Not that the money is not important or a major player in this but man, all that time and care, countless hours, busted knuckles, all this is what makes it so painful right now.

Well, I am not a whinny sorry ass, and I am sure I will feel a lot better in a couple days, when they give me the green light to get it repaired.

G

That's just plain sad. I feel for you. Such a nice car and for your sake I hope you do get it repaired. Up here in Canada usually the insurance company(public not private) will decide not to fix it once the repair topples 75% of the value. Now in the case of my car which, by the way is an Acapulco blue 69 fastback, the maximum insured value they will cover is $50,000. Anything beyond that will rely on an independent appraisal.

As Ridgerunner suggested, one for Rusty to bring back to its former glory.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

John

Dammit G, I feel your pain. No fun having other people ruin your car. Hope insurance works out. It's not like they can take the car from you, it's still your car. My car was totaled, I kept the car and got some cash out. If it said anywhere on the insurance papers that they own the car in the event of an crash, they wouldn't sell much. You have the final word.

I have repaired a lot worse than that and that is not totaled ,the insurance company is another matter though,they may take the easy way out .Try to convince them that it is repairable if possible , a classic car should not be held to the same standards as newer car that looses its value after a couple of years .The value of a classic just keeps going up so repairing it should be reasonable .

A friend of mine had rebuilt wrecked cars on the side since we were teenagers, I helped out off and on. In our experience if the insurance company declares it a total loss & you decide to keep the car they will simply deduct the value they believe is left in the car from the settlement & you keep the car with a clean title. If you accept the total loos & then decide to buy it back later then it will have a salvage title. Laws may be different in other states but in Iowa that was how it worked last I knew, moved away many years ago.

I do not think it will be totaled.

Even if they total it, can't you buy it as salvage and repair it?  It is a bugger on the value to have a salvage title linked to it, but at least you have it, and with some paperwork (at least here in Colorado) you can convert it to a regular title after the repair.