Guillaume69

1969 GT Sportsroof

The sad news is that the guy who rebuilt my engine has now been dickin' around with me for 3 months: engine still not in!! So there will be no 50th birthday celebration in Charlotte for this car... I can't complain as I will still be attending in another super nice Mustang, but really, the whole thing is a little frustrating...

Plan is to work on the doors this week-end: sound deadener, glass and panels. We'll see how that goes.

Edited by Guillaume69

Congratulations on your cars rebirth, looks absolutely stunning!! Hope the motor guy gets off his arse and gets you finished up. Really appreciate when people share their pictures and stories while going through the process of rebuilding their ride. It gives me some inspiration, so thanks

Glass went in on driver's side today. For some reason, I really anticipated this to be very difficult, but it was a very pleasant thing to do. And rewarding as well, as this window has never worked better! I guess refurbishing the whole thing helped, sliders, shafts, etc.

image_zpsf39d02fc.jpg

image_zps69c243ad.jpg

image_zpsbbfaba16.jpg

image_zps4750f667.jpg

Finished driver door today. I saw so many exceptional cars at the 50th show that I am all pumped up to try and do half as good...

image_zps49b55914.jpg

image_zpsb2d1dda1.jpg

image_zpsf15fe260.jpg

Also got myself a fresher looking gas cap. Scott Drake repro is really nice, with the Ford part number and all. Looking really good on the back of the car.

image_zpsbff32996.jpg

image_zps01bb646a.jpg

Edited by Guillaume69

So the GT gas cap differs from the Mach 1 gas cap with the spring mounted cork in the cap? Didn't know that.

Edit: Nice progress, you car is going to be a head-turner. :D

Interesting comment here, as I noticed the same thing this pm as I was mounting the gas cap on the car: my original (GT as well) cap had the spring-mounted cork as well. Seems to be some kind of upgrade. The whole thing feels nice and heavy.

Edited by Guillaume69

So the GT gas cap differs from the Mach 1 gas cap with the spring mounted cork in the cap? Didn't know that.

Edit: Nice progress, you car is going to be a head-turner. :D

My original GT gas cap also has a spring mounted cork thing in the cap too. I ordered a new Scott Drake one, and it has the option for installing with the spring, or with the screw-on cap.

Same here. Is the screw-on cap safe, as Fvike mentionned? How does the fuel tank vent, if this thing screws on as tightly as I feel it does?

Flanders, have you found a new part that would allow to keep the spring mounted cork or do you plan to remove it from your original gas cap?

Edited by Guillaume69