Sign in to follow this  
69shelbycoupe

Hardest decision ever

I never cared what color any car was that I've ever purchased. It just didn't much matter. Now that I have to pick a color for my 69, it is the hardest decision I've had to make on the car. Before anyone says pick what you like it's your car... I know that :001_smile: I'm not asking what color to paint it. I'm just trying to figure out how to narrow it down. What made you pick the color you have or how did you settle on one. I'm ready to dry a color from a hat because I can't just pick one :confused: I was going to go with a blue, then a shade or burgandy, then I was going to go with something like Emberglo or a newer burnt orange color. Now I have no frickin clue. It is very irritating. I don't want to regret it later that is all.

69sc...I feel your pain. It took us years to decide on a color and the longer you wait the harder it gets. When we finally decided on orange ( citrus fire metallic ) drove about 2hrs to a car dealer to look at that color on a car, then sat there most of the afternoon and evening to see it in different light just to make sure. So when the painter started to apply the color and it looked pink! I thought OMG....Long story short, It turned nice to us and that's all that matters. Good luck and you will make the right choice.

It took me years to decide on a color scheme. I finally built some revell models and started painting them different colors. I wanted to be different from anyone else. I played with two tone but that was getting too popular so I went with the gold racing stripes stripes because I just fell in love with the green gold combo.

A couple of models and a visit to autozone

[ATTACH]14484[/ATTACH]

I too went through process as well. Picking wheels and paint color is the hardest decision.

My first car was a Royal Maroon 69, so I'm parcel to that color, but I also love the 69 Aqua Blue. I looked for almost a year and in the end I picked a 2 stage Chrysler Deep Cherry Red. As Zudman said, I too studied the color in different lights. Then I purchased the paint and I was committed. After that I had second thoughts, but now the car is painted and I'm happy with my choice.

I maybe wrong, but I think all 69's did not have metallic in the paint. IMO, too much metallic takes the old school look away.

It's been about a year and I'm still going back and forth on what color to paint my '69. I don't have too much time left to decide. One thing I decided to do was to limit my choices to an vintage Mustang color, preferably a 69 year color. That way it keeps it somewhat original looking.

I'm down to Gulfstream Aqua ('69), Silver Jade ('69), Grabber Green Metallic ('72), and Calypso Coral ('69)

And if anybody in the midwest has a 69 in one of those colors, I would love to meet you so I can see it in person. :)

I labored for a long time as well and I pretty much knew I wanted a gunmetal color of some sorts. You would think knowing what you want and then just trying to find something that matches the color you see in your mind would be easier but it's not. Everyone would tell me "it's just paint" and if you are just scuff and shooting another layer down at Macco I guess they may be right but strippig it down to bare metal and massaging the body is expensive and I wanted something that would last a while and be worth touching up when needed. I was good friends with the body shop guy doing the work and I borrowed books of PPG paint chips, spent weekends combing thru them and visiting car lots like mentioned and in the end it was a 2000 Ford color I settled on anyway. I'm very happy with it but I still see colors today that I wish I had seen before or considered more so in the end all you can really do I guess is make the best decision for today like just about everything in life because something better that catches your eye will always be coming along.

I say put all the colors in the hat and keep pulling until you come across one that makes you glad you picked it, then you'll have your answer.

Do you have a way to view your choices together, like at a show or other car event?

I had the same problem. I have two colors that I really like and I don't think either one would be a bad choice. I'd see a car in color #1 and say "that's the color!", then I'd see another car in color #2 and say "what was I thinking, that's the color!" Individually, I like them both, but when I see the two colors together, its obvious which one I prefer.

It took about 3 months to decide what red to paint mine till i saw a mustang (late model) just the right amount of red...Colorado red for me ..just look at other cars and see what you like..something might catch you eye in a parking lot some where and there you go...your color...

I have wanted a 69 Mach 1 for more than 30 years and during that time I just fell in love with the gray and black. So when I finally found my car last December, I knew exactly what colors I wanted when asked.

Good luck with your search!! :thumbup1:

My wife's favorite color is red, that bright plain jane red. I bought a Mach1 that is factory candy apple red. It's ok for now but I'm looking at different shades of red now even though I won't be painting for a few years yet. I want that perfect shade of red so I notice other cars and wait.

My car was previously painted in silver by my brother in 2000. When I had to re-paint it last year I had a tough time choosing "The right Silver" luckily, I worked at a Distributor company that sold paint to body shops so I had access to all the toners and decided to go with a Volkswagen color and I adjusted the color to what I felt "looked good" I choose silver because it showed more definition to the body more, which made it look more aggressive.

Choosing a paint color would give me fits too, ive never had the chance to paint one yet, but im sure i will agonize over it like crazy. ive been dead set on "black" for a long time for the fastback project, but then when the time comes....