Sign in to follow this  
wfridolfson

had enough with 69 glue in window

Back in high school I removed the windows to get them tinted. I Cleaned the rails up and used a generic automotive glue called GOOP to glue the windows back in. It's held up surprisingly well. It's been about 7-8 years. Don't be scared of the glue ins!!! Just use a good quality glue like maxum said. I paid like $5 for that GOOP stuff.

Edited by Angel

I'm in the minority on this also where the right glue makes all the difference, a good modern urethane based glue can have this problem fixed for practically ever IMHO. I can just think of a lot better ways to spend $900 then replacing something that isn't really broken. Here's a link to an old thread with a great how to article I posted, many folks have had very positive results in their last chance effort to fix over swapping out to '70 glass.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=1318

The trouble with epoxy is it's brittle and eventually fractures (I used it, too, many years ago). Urethane is flexible and gives when necessary instead of cracking. I actually have a set of '70 glass but haven't seen a need to use it to replace my repaired glue-ins. Of course, I value the originality aspect, too, which others may not, so the extra work was kinda fun for me.

Edited by 69RavenConv

I would find a 70 fastback parts car and rob the windows and associated bolt-in bracketry.

my thoughts exactly! It would save you a ton of money, but most of the time you will not a find a classic mustang in a junk yard now a days. So I would understand if you have to go to CJ's and buy them there.

for those who are interested in the conversion, here's a "how to" article

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_0405_how_to_install_1970_door_glass_in_a_1969_mustang/viewall.html

I know of some 1970 Cougar windows and hardware, I do not know if it would work in your car. If you are interested in them, I can find out more.

For me, I agree on the use of the proper, good glue. Also make sure the the brackets and windows are real clean before re-applying the glue. If you use a new glue to secure the glass to the bracket, but the bracket is full of old glue yet, you can bet the old glue will give away first. Ask me how I know this...