Sign in to follow this  
Angel

Engine bay black?

I believe the original color was a semi-gloss black. Is that correct? I don't want the engine bay to be too glossy and I think semi-gloss has just a little bit to much. I want something like a satin or a matte black. I bought some rustoleum low gloss black paint and I tried it out on some random parts. It almost looks flat haha. What are you guys using? Any pics? Thanks in advance guys.

i've been using PPG's shopline single stage urethane and have been adding the flatting agent to get the desired level of gloss. the flatting doesn't add texture it just deflects light.

JAU9300 gloss black ~$30/qt

JH66** hardener ~$30/qt

J81 flatting agent ~$30/qt

once you have the flatting agent and hardener (don't forget reducer) all you have to do is pickup some other colors and you can spray another color. they will even mix pints if you want.

this example uses the PPG code for Ford Corporate Blue with a little flatting added, the black on the midplate has a small amount added and the scoop has a lot more flatting added. on the inside the center of the lid and center part of the base had even more added to for flat black.

IMG_5703.jpg

I did what Mr. Buckeye explained, I used flattener to get the desired matte finish, it did take a couple tries though. Don't settle for anything less than perfection.

Very nice job, I love the period-correct look. Where'd you get that rectangular decal on the valve cover?

Thanks guys. I know it would be easier and look better if I spray it with a gun but what if I use a can? I have access to both and the reason I was considering the can was because it would be easier to do future touch-ups with the engine in the car. Would that be ok to do or will it look like crap? Has anyone done it with a can?

I was considering the can because it would be easier to do future touch-ups with the engine in the car.

urethane is pretty tough paint. i wouldn't think you would need to touch up areas if the paint itself holds up. i could see some nicks here and there but i've generally just used a really fine brush or the end of a toothpick to touch up a chip or something like that. my daily driven car is 18 years old and the finish (except paint chips) is just fine.

maybe you're just violent to the engine compartment!

the main benefit (in my opinion) for using a spray gun, is you can use two part materials that are so much more durable as compared to what's available in a rattle can.

why take a step backwards in quality if you have a gun?

Edited by BuckeyeDemon

Thanks guys. I know it would be easier and look better if I spray it with a gun but what if I use a can? I have access to both and the reason I was considering the can was because it would be easier to do future touch-ups with the engine in the car. Would that be ok to do or will it look like crap? Has anyone done it with a can?

Definately spray gun.Better finish and yes using a spray can will look like crap.Best left for small or minor parts.

Edited by 9RO1M
to edit