BuckeyeDemon

69 mach 408w build

Hey Buckeye, I can't see your pictures anymore. Getting a message that says you need to upgrade your photobucket. I assume that's on your side?

that's on my side. photobucket has restrictions on how much data can flow out from any individual account (different than storage amount). i've exceeded the limit in less than half a month. They will reappear in around 13 days. i won't pay for additional BW, so not quite sure what I'll do so this doesn't happen every month...

Buckeye-

Can you please post a picture of your Quarter Post Windlace, from top to bottom.

I'm having a tough time with these repros finding the best place for it to end near the window.

There seems to be a little flap at the top end, should that flap lay flat or tuck over to the rubber 1/4 window channel where it is held by a screw?

Thank You

Buckeye-

Can you please post a picture of your Quarter Post Windlace, from top to bottom.

I'm having a tough time with these repros finding the best place for it to end near the window.

There seems to be a little flap at the top end, should that flap lay flat or tuck over to the rubber 1/4 window channel where it is held by a screw?

Thank You

do you have your originals?

I do, but my original stops about an 1 1/2" before the quarter window rubber trim. Besides how my OEM is set up, I've seen other OEM's butt right up to the 1/4 window and others that have a set screw keeping it flush to the 1/4 window. My Repro, top end does not have enough bite to grasp down when taking the bend to the 1/4 window, but there is a small flap on the end which is not seen on the OEM.

I wanted to know how you tackled yours. If you want, you can see how mine looks on a thread I started "Need Pictures Please of 1/4 window windlace".

I do, but my original stops about an 1 1/2" before the quarter window rubber trim. Besides how my OEM is set up, I've seen other OEM's butt right up to the 1/4 window and others that have a set screw keeping it flush to the 1/4 window. My Repro, top end does not have enough bite to grasp down when taking the bend to the 1/4 window, but there is a small flap on the end which is not seen on the OEM.

I wanted to know how you tackled yours. If you want, you can see how mine looks on a thread I started "Need Pictures Please of 1/4 window windlace".

i'll try to get to this thursday and also dig up my originals. the repops where slightly different at the ends as compared to the originals. I temporarily put the originals back on and tried to duplicate where they were installed. I don't believe there were any screws applied to mine.

4606 - original top side

4607 - original top side (rotated 90)

4608 - original (part that tucks under sill plate

4611/4610- installed repop

there were no screw holes in the originals. i butted the edge of the flap up to the weatherstrip like my originals were.

3/31/69 dearborn build.

I clearly see what I was looking for. The flap had me puzzled and I wasn't sure where it should end.

I'm thankful we have a website devoted to 69/70 Mustangs, were we all can share our experiences. I couldn't imagine anywhere else where one can find all this information to build these cars.

Buckeye-I really appreciate the time you took to take and post the photos.

Thank you!

Buckeye,

Now that you've had your car on the street a little, can you please give me your impression of the steering? It appears you do not have power assist.

My '70 Mach 1 does not have power steering. I was sure I would add it during my build. But now I'm not so certain. Although the steering was simply awful when I got the car, every component was worn out. I'm thinking it might be OK if everything was new and well lubed.

Thanks in advance.

Buckeye,

Now that you've had your car on the street a little, can you please give me your impression of the steering?

It appears you do not have power assist.

My '70 Mach 1 does not have power steering. I was sure I would add it during my build. But now I'm not so certain. Although the steering was simply awful when I got the car, every component was worn out. I'm thinking it might be OK if everything was new and well lubed.

Thanks in advance.

steering feels good. drives straight, doesn't wander. that surprised me as i did my own alignment.

225 radials, roller idler, 16:1 gearbox, caster set to around 2.5 (can't quite remember).

it seems to get easier to steer everytime i took it out. i'm not sure if the parts are just working in or it's just me adjusting to the car.

i would always prefer power steering. on this particular car, i just don't want to look at those components.

steering feels good. drives straight, doesn't wander. that surprised me as i did my own alignment.

225 radials, roller idler, 16:1 gearbox, caster set to around 2.5 (can't quite remember).

it seems to get easier to steer everytime i took it out. i'm not sure if the parts are just working in or it's just me adjusting to the car.

i would always prefer power steering. on this particular car, i just don't want to look at those components.

Thanks for the input.

I still haven't decided. When I'm ready to assemble the front suspension, I will talk to Dan at Chockostang and get the details about what components I'll need and how much it will cost. But good to know about the roller idler. I'll be sure pick up one of those.

Wow to the tenth power! You've built an amazing street machine. It's like a Mustang supercar.

Thanks for sharing the video. And thanks again for sharing the details and process of your build. I've learned a lot from you and I hope to keep learning as I go back and review over and over again.

It would sure be nice to see this car at the Rocky Mountain Mustang Roundup next June. Any chance you would venture that far, Buckeye? It's a great time: Mountain tour, autocross and show in Steamboat Springs, Co. They just started an MCA judging as well. It's a beautiful area and the town LOVES to host the Mustangs.

The only downside is every year we see fewer classic Mustangs and more late model Mustangs. All the more reason your Mach 1 would be appreciated.

It would sure be nice to see this car at the Rocky Mountain Mustang Roundup next June. Any chance you would venture that far, Buckeye? It's a great time: Mountain tour, autocross and show in Steamboat Springs, Co. They just started an MCA judging as well. It's a beautiful area and the town LOVES to host the Mustangs.

The only downside is every year we see fewer classic Mustangs and more late model Mustangs. All the more reason your Mach 1 would be appreciated.

that's a pretty long trip. not sure i'll be doing that any time soon. maybe when i retire in 50 years...

i took it to a Ford show a few weeks ago (unfinished) where there were probably ~150 fords. i thought i would get something as they had 20 choice awards (beyond the other 30 for categories). didn't even get one of those.

it appeared most had no idea what they were looking at which surprised me. the old cars are certainly diminishing at all shows i go to as well. are they all hiding in garages or are the numbers of enthusiasts really reducing?

Guy in my neighbor hood has a 1929 Model A in his garage in decent shape just covered in boxes. I was walking my dog one day and noticed an old wheel peeking through some boxes. He restored it in 1978 and it has been sitting since 1981. Doesn't take it to shows, doesn't keep up maintenance on it and doesn't drive it in the summer. I told him if he ever wants to sell it, to let me know and I'll start saving. I think people stopped going to shows with their classics. Too much work to dig it out from behind the wall of clutter.

Dont feel bad Buckeye. I also was at a show this year (the one I met you at) and although I was not expecting to take home an award, I did notice the judges that looked at my car had no clue what they were looking for. Very inexperienced and just looking for dirt or misalignment of panels etc. Didnt even look under the car.

And lastly, at my work we have about 6000 people, and in late summer we have an employee car show for charity. Well I looked at the cars (40 or so cars) in all different conditions, and then looked at the trophy table (40 or so trophys) and figured "thats really cool, they are making sure everybody goes home happy". I went home empty handed.....lol.

I prefer cruise ins rather than having the date code on my radiator hose inspected. btw - Pumpkin Run this coming weekend!!!! Last year = 2400 cars!!!!