Sign in to follow this  
Print Dad

70 Mach - dual exhaust conversion

Hello all,

Finished the heater core and now on to collecting ideas for another project.

I would like to install dual exhaust. The car has 351C 2 barrel heads.

The car came with single exhaust - I know - - wierd. But it factory single exhaust. About 25 years ago I installed a "Walker" set of pipes. It is still good but my wife like a little volume. Not crazy but a nice mellow tone.

I am thinking of putting on duals. I went to a custom exhaust shop and they want $900.00 to go from the manifold back.

I was thinking I could save a little money and perhaps do this myself.

I have been looking at 2 sets from Mustangs Unlimited. The problem is they don't tell me what they are made of and of course I don't know what they will sound like.

I would like to get a good exhaust system that will last a long time but I am not sure if I need Stainless. I know Walker made great pipes many years ago.

So I am looking for ideas and comments.

1. - Should I just let an exhaust place do the job

2. - Can I get a good solid pipe and who makes them

3. - What type of muffler. I am not sure if I want Flowmaster - Turbo muffler or ??? - What do you recommend.

4. - Is there an issue with the rear brake line if I convert to duals?

I like the Mach tips and would probably replace the valance to get the correct style but the tips are $$$$$$... Anyone know of places that offer reasonable prices on Stainless as opposed to chrome tips.

I know this is a lot but I would like to gather info to see how the costs compare.

Thanks Print Dad

I just put duals on my 302 vert, so here's my 2cents. $900 seem like a LOT unless you're going for something really special. I went with a 2-1/2" setup with Turbo mufflers for less than $200. Since you don't have a vert, the installation is very straightforward.

Generally, the less you pay for mufflers, the louder they'll be (although not like the Thrush or cherry bombs I remember as a kid). I went pretty cheap, but I have a vert so it's less of an issue. Even cheap, they're not too loud. If you have the original rear frame rails, you already have the holes for the hangers. If not, you need to improvise (drill).

You seem like a DIY kinda guy who could do it for a lot less than $900.

I went with the dual rear valence; I'm still deciding on the tips (if any). I hear Cadillac dual tips are a nice substitute for the authentic ones.

This is the kit I used,

flo-17282_w.jpg

It's Flowmaster's American Thunder kit. It's designed to work with headers, but a muffler shop can hook it up to stock manifolds. It's 2 1/2" aluminized pipe. No modifications were needed to put this on my 70. They also make a version that the pipes come out the valance for Mach 1 cars. Summit sells it for $415. But it sounds like this setup might be a little loud for what you want.

900 is a lot. i had mine done all the way to the back with turbos and 2.5" for about $300. i plan to re-do my exhaust with mandrel bent pipes eventually. if you order a kit from one of the big guys, they usually come mandrel bent. most shops only have a regular bender.

My first set of duals way back in the 80s I used California Turbos it had a great cruising sound that you could still hear the stereo over until you really got down on it and then they sounded like glasspacks .. I really loved the set up and will be thinking of the same when I get to the exhaust stage of the rebuild. Always tricky with the convertible since we have the brace. Pypes sells some extenders that'll make their pipes fit through the tunnel but I haven't heard the sound these make. Magnaflow seems to be the maker of choice and does have a beefy sound. You can usually find some videos on youtube to hear what the different manufacturers sound like on our cars.

Ed

Hello All,

Thanks for the tips and ideas. I would love to be able to hear the exhaust before purchasing. I'll check out You Tube and such.

I would like to keep the stock manifolds and I also would like to do this myself

with a little help. I like to do most of my own work even though I am slow as

molasses. LOL

I was hoping to be able to get some sort of stock set-up that would mount right in without major mods. I am thinking the holes foe the brackets should be there in the car even though the car came with single.

I'd like a little tone. I like the deep mellow sound but not the all out roar.

I would like to listen to the 8-track and yet hear a mellow sound. This would really be cool.

I notice a lot of the kits are made for headers. Is that something I could modify

to use with the stock manifolds?

This is not a racer nor a museum car, just a week-end driver, and I am trying to conserve on $$$. With a son in college I am sure many know what I am saying.

Thanks to all the responders. Before I forget - - If I purchased a kit, would a muffler shop even want to work on it? I really don't know.

Maxum96, the set up look great and pretty simple. I was thinking of the Mach tips but they too are expensive. I would also want to change the valance . For now, I would be happy just to get duels.

Thanks once again - - Jim

I bought one of do-it-yourself kits off of e-bay for$250. The fit was ok, tailpipes need a little adjusting. Came with cherry bomb turbo mufflers. sounds kinda like the 5.0 Mustangs of the 90's a little rumble at idle and when i mash the gas pedal, it sounds good.

I went with the 2.1/4 kit. wish i would have stayed with 2in. had to bend the kickdown lever on the trans.

But, I like it for a daily driver.

PJ

Hello All,

Thanks for the tips and ideas. I would love to be able to hear the exhaust before purchasing. I'll check out You Tube and such.

Here's what mine sounds like. Mind you my engine is a 500+hp engine with high compression and headers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqlKeRaiWuw&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQGZuBiS6z8&feature=channel

Hello All,

Thanks for the replies and info.

Maxum96, my wife loves the sound.

I am still a bit confused. I did go to another shop yesterday and asked about

a system. $850 - $900. for regular exhaust. Just aluminized and stock with a turbo mufflers. I think tis price is outrageous. I understand a profit but I think this is just too much.

I am looking at kits from places like Mustangs Unlimited and must admit I am confused.

Here is a package:

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/EM_CatalogSite/z00118.htm

The kit is number EK-24

\Then on the following page - -

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/EM_CatalogSite/z00119.htm

This kit is supposed to be for Mach 1 - - which I have.

Then on this page, they show the tips for a Mach --

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/EM_CatalogSite/z00132.htm

but it says these tips are 2" inside diameter.

What I am looking for is a system that will basically bolt into the car and sound good. I do not have pipe benders or a welder.

I will check fleabay today.

On of the reasons I am confused is that looking in the catalog at individual pieces it says on many of the parts may require some modification.

I am talking about getting an H pipe 2 interm, 2 mufflers, 2 tails and the 2 tips. They all seem to have some catch.

I just want to get a simple to install system that I can bolt in.

Thanks - - Print Dad

Thanks for bearing with me. - - Print Dad

I have a 69 q code, 428 CJ. I buoght a kit, on e-Bay, Magnaflow, 2.5 in SS with X pipe. $375.00 I installed all parts exePt the down pipe. The pipes between this kit and the exhaust manifold you have to buy separately, depending if you have stock manifolds or headers. I purchaced an H pipe from Dallas Mustang $ 89.00, which consisted of the two downpipes connected to the H pipe.

A local mufler shop cut off the downpipes from the H pipe and added it to the Magnaflow KIT. $ 50.00 ( total => $514.00 )

Kaz

Hey PD. That $900 quote is way steep. As you know I had custom dual exhaust put on mine and I just pulled the receipt from it. I went with 2" pipes and Flowmaster 40 series mufflers and my total bill was only $457.50 not including the tips which I purchased and had them install.

Hello

Thanksfor the info. I am going to ask a different muffler shop about

installing if I get the parts.

Thanks for the help. I really think I can do much better as far as price goes

Thanks to all - - - Print Dad - Jim

Hello All,

I just wanted to update some info on this. I tried another custom exhaust shop

and they will do from the manifold back 0 with my choice of muffler for

$525. That includes everything except custom tips if i want those.

This is far more reasonable. Now I will decided if I will do myself or just have them do it.

Funny, the 2 shops have the same name and I thought they were part of a chain and would have same prices. I am glad I called.

Thanks to all - - - Print Dad

I agree on the Magnaflow kit. Performance Peddler had an excellent deal around $400 a year or two ago. They are now $500, but still WAY cheaper than the $900 quote you are getting and this entire system is STAINLESS. Buy this kit and have a shop install it. If you have manifolds, they can extend the X-pipe to the mufflers for around $100 or so. I paid $75 to have a shop install mine but I provided the header reducer. You should expect around $150 unless you are in a huge city with a large markup. Below is the kit. You won't be disappointed!!!

http://www.performancepeddler.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MAG15816

BTW, there were a TON of people from the VMF (vintage-mustang.com) that bought from this company, which really brought down the price. Their website says to call for the best price, so you may mention that forum to see if they give a discount. I think we kept that company afloat LOL

BTW, there were a TON of people from the VMF (vintage-mustang.com) that bought from this company, which really brought down the price. Their website says to call for the best price, so you may mention that forum to see if they give a discount. I think we kept that company afloat LOL

I was one of them about three years ago. It's a great system and still looks like new. I get compliments all the time on the sound.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/607923/9 :thumbup:

Hello 70Mach03,

Thanks for the advice and the link to the pictures.

It would be cool to go with stainless of course.

My original guy said he'd do stainless for around 1700.00 and that's

good old hard earned green backs. Way to much for my wallet.

Thanks again, I am going to look right now and talk to an exhaust shop

Saturday. i wish I had a welder. Thanks and nice looking car by the way.

Print Dad

Yeah most shops can barely do a standard steel exhaust for this price. I've been happy with the entire kit. The mufflers are fully polished for that extra bling factor. The kit comes with turndown tips, so you may or may not want to get some different tips. Just make sure you get 2.5" tips (some OEM style is only 2" or 2.25")

Truthfully, while stainless is nice I think it's a bit of overkill. Aluminized pipe will look will look good and not all rusted out like standard pipe does. Hell, I think most OEM's use aluminized pipe nowadays. And most of us don't drive these cars everyday.

Hello maxxum96,

I looked at the pictures. Very nice. Lots of work has been done and the engine compartment is really looking great.

Thanks for your opinions. I like to gather as much info as i can and then make an

informed decision. Thanks Again - - Print Dad