Vicfreg

Door Handle Dilemma

The simple things seem sometimes so frustrating. I restored a number of these cars, and for some reason I’m having fits getting my exterior door handles installed.

I have the stock style, and also a black powder, coated Billet style door handle, which have the exact same configuration, and I can’t get either one of them installed.

I have stock sheet metal, the door skins have never been modified.

I believe my issue is with the actuator mechanism.

I don’t have the original door handles or actuator mechanisms,, but I did receive new actuator mechanisms with the Chrome style original once I purchased.

I cannot seem to rotate the door handle into the proper position without the actuator mechanism binding against the inside of the door skin.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.!!

IMG_1784.jpeg

It's been a while since I did mine and I remember it is a bit of a Rube Goldberg setup but I'm pretty sure I managed it  the way it's shown on the averagejoerestoration.com page.

(Sorry, site won't allow me to post the link)

The issue that is causing the fitment problem it’s not the door handle necessarily, it’s the actuator mechanism.

My original door handle, has a single mounting hole in the center of the doorhandle near the push knob.

So those actuators only have one mounting hole, you can see that in the pictures.

The aftermarket doorhandles have an offset mounting hole, and the actuators have two mounting holes.  The two hole actuator is actually wider than the original, it’s very difficult to fit through the hole in the door.

This actuator is in the picture next to my original, it doesn’t fit properly, I cannot get enough clearance to properly install the door handle.

The last picture is what I believe to be the correct actuator, comes in this case with the Scott Drake, 1969, 1970 doorhandles. It’s much smaller, and has a rounded shape, which allows you to easily insert the door handle and get the proper clearance.  It also has two holes.

I ordered a set of these, I’ll let you know how it works out.

IMG_1806.jpeg

IMG_1805.jpeg

IMG_1804.jpeg

IMG_1803.jpeg

IMG_1802.jpeg

I read somewhere, maybe on NPD, that the 69 and 70 handles are the same but the actuators inside the door are different.  The new handles I bought for my car had the different ones and so I told my shop to use the original actuators with the new handles.

10 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

I always save my old handles just for the spring and internals ,problem is i dont know where i put them . The new handles springs are always so strong its almost impossible to push the button 

I guarantee that you'll find them in the last place you look...trust me on this!

16 hours ago, Midlife said:

I guarantee that you'll find them in the last place you look...trust me on this!

Unless you found them, moved them, then forgot where you put them...then they wouldn't be in the last place you looked, they would be in the new place you put them.

I installed my reproduction handles recently and had the exact same issue. From everything I saw online the part you are talking about that comes on reproduction handles won’t work for a 69-70. I had to take that part off of my original door handles and put them on the new ones. After they that they worked perfect. I believe it’s because the repro handles are sold as being for 65-66 & 69-70. My guess is the mechanism on the back is for a 65-66 which is why it won’t work for our cars even though the rest of the handle is the same. 

This was not easy. 

I initially picked up a set of Ring Brothers handles at Carlisle a couple years ago. They are custom style/shape/configuration, and powder coated in a kind of subtle wrinkle black finish.  However, they are not "plug and play" type of parts, and require some slight mods to the door handle opening in the door skin.  I did a fit up test before my car was painted, but did not try it with the door handle actuators mounted.  This turned out to be a big problem, as I could not rotate the handles to get them to line up.  So, on to Plan B which was to find another set that was more "stock" in configuration.

I finally found a set of black, powder coated door handles that looked pretty close to stock configuration.  I took a chance on E Bay and ordered them.  Turns out they are super high quality, custom machined out of billet pieces.  I tried to install them and then realized that the lock actuators I had (at least 3 sets) did not work.   (I will say that none of the black handles I ordered had door lock actuators with them.)

Anyway, I ordered a set of Scott Drake "satin" door handles, and they are an excellent quality set of door handles.  I took the actuators off of them, and put them on my black billet door handles, and they worked perfectly.   

I will post the E Bay seller that I got the black handles from.  They are really nice, and well designed and thought out.   I commend them for taking the time to somehow CNC machine these out of solid billet, and powder coat them black.

So, I have at least 3 sets of nice door handles for sale if anyone wants them.....I will give you the "family" price....

Vic

Hi Vic,

Hope you & the family are doing well. Happy Thanksgiving. If you post pics of the handles I would be interested in a set since I need new ones. Do they come with the actuators or do I need to reuse my old ones?

Mike.

Hi Mike, Happy Thanksgiving also.

I have several sets that are new/unused.

I can send you an email with some pictures.

I also have a bunch of extra parts I need to unload that are in my storage locker.  I can send you pics of those also.  I have all the parts I need to finish my car.   

I think I have your email somewhere, but send it again via the Forum IM