Mach1 Driver

Ididit tilt columns now fit FORD

The original Ididit columns were only designed to fit GM steering wheels, but now are made to fit our Fords. The slip ring assembly for the horns didn't line-up.

I don't know when these became available, but it was news to me, so this is like a public service announcement ;)

I only checked for the 69, but the things to look for:

The top of the column is a close match, the original was 3.965, and the new one is 4.00

It has the the EM flasher switch and turn signal switch

This column will only work with the original factory power assist (or manual), but not Borgeson

The slip ring works, fitting the original steering wheel so the horn will work.

It is collapsible just like the OEM to meet safety regulations.

The whole thing is said to be a direct replacement, giving you a tilt wheel.

The part number for a 69 paintable column is 1300646010 (currently $781)

The rag joint is 3000053434

I haven't tried this yet but now we have an alternative to finding the unicorn OEM columns

Back in 2015 I was toying with the idea of swapping in a complete ready to bolt-in EPS (electric power steering) system that included a modified Ididit tilt column that would accept the stock 1969 steering wheel.   

So maybe it has been available for a while !!

Doug

Terry,

I would think the factory Tilt/Tilt-A-Way would be an awesome upgrade and worth $350 more than a new Ididit tilt column.   

Especially if it is complete, ready to bolt-in and 100% functional.   If it needs rebuilding/restoring and/or missing parts, maybe not.

Doug   

FYI no one here or on VMF responded that they had bought an Ididit tilt column for the Ford steering wheel. It had 66 views on VMF, so apparently not too many people have bought it. I decided to get the OEM part while it was still available, and it should be delivered in about a week.

When I did my research in 2017 on the EPAS Kit that comes with a modded Ididit column for 1969, I thought there was a 1969 Boss 302 owner that bought and installed this kit.   Pretty sure he had a stock steering wheel too.

Here is the EPAS kit on stang-aholics site ... even states it works with stock 1969 steering wheels ...

https://www.stang-aholics.com/i-26613555-1969-mustang-electric-power-steering-conversion-kit-with-ididit-tilt-column.html

Here is the Ididit standard 1969 Tilt Column (non EPAS), it also states it specifically fits the 1969 steering wheel and uses a Ford T/S Switch ...

https://www.stang-aholics.com/i-31643324-1969-mustang-ididit-tilt-steering-column-black.html?q=ididit

Doug

5 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Really? Is that what we say? ;)

I prefer to think that me and stangs-R-me are special.

My list isn't mutually exclusive with yours. 

On 10/14/2023 at 1:49 PM, Mach1 Driver said:

FYI no one here or on VMF responded that they had bought an Ididit tilt column for the Ford steering wheel. It had 66 views on VMF, so apparently not too many people have bought it. I decided to get the OEM part while it was still available, and it should be delivered in about a week.

I did the Ididit tilt .  fits fine and fits my rimblow