Cuzzi

Power Steering conversion

I'd check with Dan at Chockostang.com. He won't steer you wrong. That said, a rebuilt box from Chockostang works wonders without power assist. I'm an out of shape 66 year old guy who loves the manual steering in our light cars. 

7 hours ago, RPM said:

I'd check with Dan at Chockostang.com. He won't steer you wrong. That said, a rebuilt box from Chockostang works wonders without power assist. I'm an out of shape 66 year old guy who loves the manual steering in our light cars. 

No pun intended, eh?

4 hours ago, Mike65 said:

I am 64 years old & have manual steering in my 69 Coupe with a roller idler arm & it steers like it had PS.

Right! With new and rebuilt parts, these light cars are a breeze to drive. Not sure where the need for power assist started, but lots of young guys think they need it. Now if an older cat has physical limitations, I can go sign on to that. 

On 3/10/2022 at 6:47 PM, Mike65 said:

I am 64 years old & have manual steering in my 69 Coupe with a roller idler arm & it steers like it had PS.

I need to break down and yank my manual steering box out and send to Chock ... and buy a ROLLER IDLER ARM ... thanks for that tip Mike !!

The box in the car now is a 16:1 ratio that I stole from a PS '69 Cougar back in the 80's, so it has only had to "work" manual steering for 30-40k miles (original box was worn out after the 1st 120k miles so it got tossed).   But the PS box being 53 years old now, it really should be gone through.

Doug   

I purchased a rebuilt box from Chock & with the roller idler arm that I got from Opentracker Racing it steers easy. They are great to deal with.

Roller Idler Arm, Manual Steering (1967-1970) Mustang Cougar - Opentracker Racing Products

I also have roller spring perches.

Opentracker Roller Spring Perches (opentrackerracing.com)

51 minutes ago, Mike65 said:

I purchased a rebuilt box from Chock & with the roller idler arm that I got from Opentracker Racing it steers easy. They are great to deal with.

Roller Idler Arm, Manual Steering (1967-1970) Mustang Cougar - Opentracker Racing Products

I also have roller spring perches.

Opentracker Roller Spring Perches (opentrackerracing.com)

I've been thinking I need to update my 80's vintage stock replacement front suspension too (creaks a lot) and Open Tracker has been on my radar ... need to open the wallet wider to go down the rabbit hole further !!

Doug

I converted my factory power steering car to the Borgeson unit and now can drive my car down a every-change camber country road without a death grip on the wheel.

Installing it was a bit of a bear from a clearance perspective. Every mm mattered. I had to install new motor mounts as the originals were old and compressed and I had to lightly grind the corner of the stock exhaust manifold. I had custom hydraulic lines made to make it clear and and be a clean looking install. And getting them on and tight was a PAIN. I bought a remanufactured power steering pump and painted it to match. The old one was too weak to push the pressure needed for smooth operation of the new steering unit. 

I cussed the project many times and had lots of do-overs because of leaks, clearances, etc. but now that everything is squared away I love the results. Only nit to pick is the return-to-center feel is weak on it.   

I was going to post the same stuff the majority already said.

1. Dan at Chockostang.com
  2. Stay manual with upgraded parts is the simplest, economical, and happy path
  3. If you go power assist Dan can help with that too.  He set me up for my factory PS car. I also have the roller idler arm.  It drives better than new with the new bushings, UCA drop, roller spring perches and modern alignment for radial tires.
  4. Borgeson, Flaming River, Rack and Pinion/Mustang II all add cost and complexity.